Is God a single parent?

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (112 posts)
  1. chinweike profile image59
    chinweikeposted 13 years ago

I was shocked when my neighbour's little son of 9 walked into my apartment and asked me this question; IS GOD A SINGLE PARENT?
    I didn't bother answering the uestion as i don't know what to tell him.
    So, can any hubber please help?
    Cheers everyone!!

1. profile image50
      paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

chinweikeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for your response.

He (my neighbour's son and not my son) is confused over who is the wife of God since he has a son (Jesus). Though this is the believe of christians.

Thanks once again for your response.

2. Beelzedad profile image59
        Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Nope, he had a one time fling with a married woman, knocked her up and then high-tailed it out of Dodge. smile

1. profile image0
          crmhaskeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol that is one thing that has always amused me... immaculate conception my a$$, Mary just got around town and Joseph never figured it out tongue

1. NightEmpress profile image60
            NightEmpressposted 13 years agoin reply to this

LOL!

2. profile image0
          Kathryn LJposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Teehee! Is the holy ghost the same as God? And what about the angel of the annunciation?  Its a very complex story isn't it?  More to the point, didn't the term Virgin mean a single independent woman in those times and therefore the new testiment was not claiming an immaculate conception at all, rather that Mary was single?  Most importantly chinweike, this child is very smart and should be praised for asking such a thought provoking question.

Kathryn LJ, I equally marvelled at the level of intelligence that the boy exhibits.
            Thanks for the response

3. earnestshub profile image80
          earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol sounds a hell of a lot more likely than the biblical version! lol

3. Jerami profile image57
        Jeramiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes God is a single parent!  ..
           But as Hillary Clinton once said ... 
           It takes a vilage to raise the children.

4. profile image51
        atlas_khanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

chinweike!!!
        The Following comments may help you to satisfy the child asking about GOD.

"In the Qur'an, we read that Allah (GOD) is Compassionate and Merciful. He is Kind, Loving, and Wise. He is the Creator, the Sustainer, the Healer. He is the One who Guides, the One who Protects, the One who Forgives. "

1. earnestshub profile image80

You forgot "The one who is a myth."  smile

5. goldenpath profile image68
        goldenpathposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No, He is not!  We are in the image of God, male and female.

2. Rafini profile image82
      Rafiniposted 13 years ago

I like it, and would say, Yes.  God is a single parent.  Although only women can give birth, it doesn't matter which gender you are when it comes to being capable of raising a child alone.

Hi rafini,

Thanks for your response. I think you are implying that God HAD a wife. Please let me know if I am misunderstanding you
        cheers!

1. michifus profile image55
          michifusposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It depends on your beliefs. So I will leave Allah to those who are better qualified to answer such as paarsurrey (great post!).

As far as I understand it.......God, The Holy Spirit and Jesus are one and the same - grouped together as the holy trinity. God is all three. All three are God. God is the holy trinity. Jesus is not 1/3 of God in the same way that a third of infinity is infinity.

Jesus is God on earth in human form. The use of the term "his son" is a useful way for us humans to better comprehend God. With God being, well, incomprehensible to us mere mortals.

So before I ramble on too long, God is not a single parent, because Jesus is God. He didn't have a wife, because God is not a man. He didn't have a husband either because he is not a woman. He is God. Unless of course you are a Viking, Roman or ancient Greek in which case he was a man, and Jesus was not around so they didn't have to bother with tricky questions like the one your son asked  ;-)

1. Obscure Divine profile image60
            Obscure Divineposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh my, how do you know these things?  Just curious...

1. michifus profile image55
              michifusposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Just my take on it  - I do not claim to be right.

2. Friendlyword profile image60
            Friendlywordposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I really dont understand the Trinity.
            Why did Jesus teach us how to pray to OUR FATHER WHO ART IN HEAVEN instead to how to pray to him?

Why did Jesus pray for the Father to save him from crucifiction?

Why did Jesus say "FORGIVE THEM FATHER, BECAUSE THEY KNOW NOT WHAT THEY DO" when he was nailed to the cross?

Are you saying God is one of those people who goes around talking to himself

2. Rafini profile image82
          Rafiniposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No, I'm not.  It is well known that the Bible says Mary was impregnated by God.  Nowhere does it say Mary was married to God or that God was married to anyone.

I like the idea of claiming God was a single parent, that's all.

OMG - didn't realize I had, once again, wandered into the religious forums.  I thought this was under education or family or something like that.

I don't care if God was/was not married.  God is God.

1. Beelzedad profile image59
            Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Mary was an adulterer and god was non other than Glenn 'giggity' Quagmire. smile

1. Jerami profile image57
              Jeramiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

And the beat goes on....  and the beat goes on
              drumbs keep pounding rithems to the bone....

3. Obscure Divine profile image60
      Obscure Divineposted 13 years ago

Who could claim ownership of all the atomic structures within the totality via cosmos, and call their divine self a single "parent?" Ha-ha!  This query is ludicrous to no end, infinity if ya will, and due to the humor, it should have been filed under the "entertainment" category.  big_smile

It probably wouldn't have the level of response is getting now if it were to be in the 'entertainment' category. And the little boys enquiry wouldn't have got an answer.

4. kess profile image60
      kessposted 13 years ago

Since God is perfect He is one and is all things.
      This means His wife is already in Him and is one with Him.

On earth imperfect Men join to their wives to reproduce, but the perfect God reproduces when His wife is seperated from Him.

This is the original meaning of the term "mother earth", though many who do cannot, will not, have not  understood the process has confused it immensely.

For this entire age is because of the Separation of the female from the Male and will conclude when they are rejoined.

5. lovemychris profile image77
      lovemychrisposted 13 years ago

That is actually a very profound question! My first impulse was to laugh, but then...
      still thinking....

Just like it got me thinking........
        Cheers!

6. Richieb799 profile image75
      Richieb799posted 13 years ago

yes and he does it all with out benefits!

1. profile image0
        kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol  lol

hi babe big_smile

2. chinweike profile image59

And what are the benefits?

7. Daniel Carter profile image62
      Daniel Carterposted 13 years ago

According to the Bible, God is plural, especially when you talk about the creation of man:

Genesis 1:26:
      26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

The ONLY way this passage makes sense is if God becomes plural. The passage also strongly suggests that these beings (Gods) actually have a body instead of just exist in spirit. That kind of blows the idea that it's simply a reference to the Trinity.

Since most Christians believe in "cafeteria" Christianity (believe what you want and throw the rest out), you can take from this what you want. The original text implies plurality of Gods, from what I understand.

Therefore, God does not have to be a single parent, IF you are up to such speculation.

1. profile image51

From Quran !!

Say: He is Allah, the Monoreal!
        Allah (the Monoreal) is Eternal.
        The Monoreal does not take or give birth.
        And there is none comparable to the Monoreal.

This may help you people to understand GOD.

No it doesn't, but it does tell me you don't know anything about Egyptology! smile

1. profile image51

You r right...I donot know more about Egyptology!...but i know the GOD..who is just only ONE in all respects.
            Also it seems you know nothing about GOD.....so sad.

1. profile image0
              Deborah Sextonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hmmm Having male and female attributes is not being two Gods.

1. profile image51

Just believe that GOD is GOD who hold whole the universe not only creation of human beings. Eample: if we make a car, can car explore us...never. in the same way...GOD created us..so we cannot explore GOD. we have limited thinking memory but GOD is unlimited. so how we can accomodate unlimited in a limited one.

1. profile image0

Many religions believe that the Holy Spirit is God, right?
                  The Holy Spirit is the Shekinah (Shekhinah) which is the Elohim.
                  The Shekinah in the Hebrew tongue, is the feminine aspect of God.

Any name defining the male aspect of God ends with.EL... Any female aspect ends in nah.

And..we are to explore God. Many times it states we are to look up and see God.
                  How would we worship what we don't at least try to know.

2. profile image0

Gee, you have no hubs..why don't you write about it.

Hi Deborah. Nice to see you lack of bias despite our differing beliefs. Very commendable. smile

1. profile image0

Well, I happen to like you. smile

I don't feel sorry for you as someone has implied (she was not speaking of me, but everyone who took up for you on another thread)

2. earnestshub profile image80

You are mistaken. You may like to look at a hubber more carefully before you say things like that. I have made an intensive study of religions. smile

1. profile image51

it seems You always do the study with mind closed at all.smile

Wrong again! I was a devout believer when I started. smile

1. profile image51

When your memory become full...you went against GOD...this is the limitation of our memory:)

What are you saying? My memory and recall are first class! smile
                      I have never heard of memory becoming "full" lol

2. profile image0

This is just a friendly reminder:
                      What is it that it says in the N.T.?

1. John 8:7
                      "….So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her. "

James 2:10
                      For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.

And:

Matthew 5:21-22:
                      21. "Ye have heard that it was said of them of old time, Thou shalt not kill; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment:

22. But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment:.."

2. profile image0
                    poetlorraineposted 13 years agoin reply to this

if you were a devout believer, why have you changed and become so bitter.......  i think you would have been a nicer person before., you annoy everyone on here especially me.  Your comments go round and round and make little sense..... please take a break

Do you mean I disagree with you so I should shut up and go away?
                      As for annoying everyone, I would have thought others can speak for themselves, and have no idea how you could conclude that about "everyone."
                      If you want a discussion I would have felt that would require you being open to discussion. smile

Believe you or be annoying to everyone? I don't think so.

2. profile image0

He is speaking of his past. You may see him as having a closed mind and yet you don't know him.
                  Since you believe in God, why not let God judge him and we'll just all work on ourselves.

I am not trying to be rude, but it's not our job to judge another's hows, whys, who's or whens...

You just told me we can't know God, but you told Earnest you know God...

1. profile image51

I told we cannot explore more about GOD because of many limitations about our attributes. How much far away you can see....definitly there is a limit to see..some time you may not be able to see as you can do now....
                    Lot of limitations are attached with Us. However if you are in accepting mod...you see little and accept it.

8. easyspeak profile image67
      easyspeakposted 13 years ago

Augustine, talking about salvation, called God our Father and the church our mother.

But on the other hand, God is neither and both genders.  John 3 also says we must be born of the Spirit...

1. profile image51

Augustine! may said God as Father and the church as mother to give them more respect.
        However, how church,a prayer place, can be a mother.

9. profile image0
      poetlorraineposted 13 years ago

hard to explain to a child, but god being a spirit is neither male or female, he created everything, and is a parent to us all.........  god bless.  I know lots wont agree, and i don't want to argue, but that would be reply to the child.

Thanks for this kind reply of yours. I have noted it and would try to pass the message across to the little boy.
        Cheers!

10. profile image0
      Deborah Sextonposted 13 years ago

God has both male and female attributes.
      Anytime scripture mentions the Elohim, it is in reference to both these attributes. (Elohim refers to God as the creating male and female force)

The problem is that the English translates everything to God instead of the aspect of God it was really speaking of.

1. profile image0

he must have, musn't he, you are right, as we were all made in his image.

2. chinweike profile image59

Deborah, it seems you understand Hebrew very well? Do you mind if I enrole in your class? Or better still have you tutor me?
        Cheers!

1. profile image0

I speak Hebrew as a third language. My husband is Hebrew born in Israel.

I have no classes to enroll in.
          I am a nurse, wife, mother, housekeeper, animal abuse rescue aide and much more. I have no time to tutor. Sorry

Haha! No need to be sorry. Life is full of opportunities.
            Thanks anyways

11. profile image0

i am open to discussion, occasionally i am a busy lady, off to work soon,  we could have a vote on how many people you annoy...... i could start a thread, something like if Earnesthub annoys you say I......

I absolutely do not expect anyone to agree with me, it is up to them, but no matter what day we look on the religious forum, there you are bad mouthing religion.  If you do not like religion, why even go on the forum..... makes sense to me, change your picture from timeto time too, i find the same one all the time a little boring, maybe i will get banned off forums for a few days i can manage that, could you manage not being on forums for a few days, annoying peoople i think not.

So same old. You don't want to see the same avatar now? Geez that would apply to most here who do not change pictures of themselves.
        Any thing else you would like? Should I just agree with you to make you happy? I have a feeling that nothing would please you.

As for being here on these forums I would remind you that these forums are titled "Religion and beliefs," not "poetlorraine's religious beliefs forums!" smile

You will find just as many who are religious who do not share your views! lol
        By all means do your "Who hates Ernest" thread. It has been done before. Backfired somethin dreadful! smile

1. profile image0

i remember that thread, lots of people stuck up for you, they felt sorry for you.  go on change your picture.

The picture stays. smile If you read that thread you would see it was not about feeling sorry for me. It was about hubbers having perspective. I was supported 100%.

I suppose you think my 700 plus fans all just feel sorry for me? I write most of my hubs to assist other hubbers, and yes they do make money too, but not my primary motivation.

I get plenty of hub love, and despite your slant on things I don't think you will find many hubbers who agree with you apart from the sock puppets of course! lol

If you had read the comments that I have on my hubs you would not hold that opinion.
            Some of us don't have a stack of photos of ourselves alone, most of my pics have family in them.

I am an honest person and do not wish to display an avatar that is not me.
            If you don't like the way I look what can I say? That's me, I live with the fact that I am no oil painting! lol

1. profile image0

come to my party earnesthub.   the avatar is not me, i am dull and boring.

No Lorraine I am over the abuse, I would not feel welcome. smile

12. profile image0

o.k. please accept this bottle of wine from me.  cant do pictures, but if you do not want to drink with me, drink alone.  ha ha aha

I am having a nice Shiraz at the moment.
        I drink very little. smile

1. profile image0

what is a sharaz... here is a popcorn, just one, it will not choke you

A very fruity dry red. smile Lovely! smile

13. Tom Cornett profile image80
      Tom Cornettposted 13 years ago

God is dad....Earth is mom....Universe is trailer park.  smile

How? Can you please explain?

14. profile image0

I knew it i have dry wine.  My wine has to be soooooooo sweet.  what time is it there. it is 1.24 p.m. here

Just 10.25 pm here in wonderful downtown Melbourne. The most liveable city on planet earth! smile

15. andromida profile image56
      andromidaposted 13 years ago

Actually, I never asked HIM such type of questions big_smile

Why? Have you seen HIM before?

16. profile image50
      paarsurreyposted 13 years ago

Is God a single parent?

Hi friends

The Creator - God Allah YHWH has no gender; so he has no wife, no son or daughter; only those things need off-shoots which are mortal; God Allah YHWH is Immortal; so cannot have any wife sons or daughters.

Thanks

I am an Ahmadi peaceful Muslim

1. profile image0

God created us in his image, male and female. God has both male and female attributes. God is limitless and when you say God has no Gender, you limit him (In your own mind). God is all in all.

Just so you know, there is no religion that I am aware of that thinks God had a wife and got her pregnant and therefore brought about all creation.

However, since God is all things, he is our father and mother, our sister and our brother.

The God I believe in is limitless and not limited to your idea of God.

1. profile image50

Hi friend Deborah Sexton

And of course not to your idea of God also.

Thanks

1. profile image0

I don't put limits on God

1. profile image50

Hi friends

I also don't.

Thanks

2. Obscure Divine profile image60

Are you telling me that there is a divine penis floating amid the cosmos???

1. Greek One profile image64
            Greek Oneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

someone call me?

2. profile image0

How disgusting and vulgar.

Not really... 
              I'm now awaiting someone to explain to me where the divine black hole is, amid the cosmos... 
              Don't look at me, folks, Deborah brought up the divine gender thingy-ma-jiggy!

1. Greek One profile image64
                Greek Oneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I've already explained that to you smile

No, you only speak of girth!  lol

2. profile image0

Wherever God divided by 0, duh

I was trying to be amusing and there you go, getting all scientific and crap!  big_smile

1. profile image0

Does "where God tripped" sound better to you? lol

Is that divine endowment?  Hey, I'm trying to be modest here...  lol

3. profile image0
          woolman60posted 13 years agoin reply to this

If God had a name, what would it be
          And would you call it to his face
          If you were faced with him in all his glory
          What would you ask if you had just one question

And yeah yeah God is great yeah yeah God is good
          yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah

What if God was one of us
          Just a slob like one of us
          Just a stranger on the bus
          Trying to make his way home

If God had a face what would it look like
          And would you want to see
          If seeing meant that you would have to believe
          In things like heaven and in jesus and the saints and all the prophets

And yeah yeah god is great yeah yeah god is good
          yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah

What if God was one of us
          He's trying to make his way home
          Back up to heaven all alone
          Nobody calling on the phone
          Except for the pope maybe in rome

And yeah yeah God is great yeah yeah God is good
          yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah

What if god was one of us
          Just trying to make his way home
          Like a holy rolling stone
          Back up to heaven all alone
          Just trying to make his way home
          Nobody calling on the phone
          Except for the pope maybe in rome

good one!

2. Obscure Divine profile image60

You just posted lyrics to someone's song.  I can't think of who sung that song, but it was several years ago when it was released.  What was her name?

1. profile image0

Alanis Morissette?  This song has been covered so many times it's hard to know who sung it first.

I never heard her version.  Hmm, oh well...  But, either way, "woolman60" didn't sing it originally...  LOL!

1. profile image0

haha, no

2. profile image0
                  woolman60posted 13 years agoin reply to this

No I did not, Joan Osborne recorded this song, an let me tell you awesome, check it out on youtube.

17. profile image0
      kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years ago

not a nice mother taking off like that.  geez.

18. earnestshub profile image80
      earnestshubposted 13 years ago

Some thoughts are just better understood when they are made into songs don't you think? smile

Yeah, The spirit behind songs will make them clearer for people to understand.

19. ediggity profile image60
      ediggityposted 13 years ago

Seen that so many times. It is still priceless! lol lol lol

Really?

20. abeja_reina_1989 profile image57
      abeja_reina_1989posted 13 years ago

That's such a cute thing for a young boy to say!! I don't believe in God, because to me it just seems like a story that for whatever reason people decided to take seriously. But anyway, kids are adorable. I wouldn't have known what to say to him either. It's one of those topics that I would have left alone and been like "ask your parents" lol.

Ok! I have noted your point.
        Thanks for your response.

21. profile image50
      paarsurreyposted 13 years ago

Is God a single parent?

The Creator-God Allah YHWH is not literally or physically our father or mohter; He is more than them; or real Provider and Sustainer.

Thanks

22. earnestshub profile image80
      earnestshubposted 13 years ago

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t174/CodeoftheWes/y5089.gif

1. profile image50

Paul's invented religion is outdated and obsolete; it has no relevance to the present world; in the West or the East. It has nothing to do with Jesus. Christians! must research and find true teaching of Jesus as mentioned in Quran; and they must follow him, no compulsion.

Thanks

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)