To all you writers out there . . .

Jump to Last Post 1-36 of 36 discussions (42 posts)
  1. elayne001 profile image77
    elayne001posted 13 years ago

When did you first become aware that you were a writer? Was it circumstantial, or did you always know?

For me, I remember as a child writing little stories and drawing the characters. I would show it to my parents so proud of myself.
    I did not pursue it though until I wrote my memoirs from my other life in Tonga (we lived there for 13 years). I really enjoyed that.

1. Glenn Raymond profile image60
      Glenn Raymondposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have always enjoyed writing, but never made the time to actually do it.  I really started getting into it about four years ago.  I love it and wish I had started a lot sooner.

2. DevLin profile image61
    DevLinposted 13 years ago

7th grade. Writing took me away from the reality I was living.

3. goldenpath profile image67
    goldenpathposted 13 years ago

When my hands became comfortable with my big nose shading them as it hovers in spite of wind, rain, snow and even pollen! smile

4. AEvans profile image70
    AEvansposted 13 years ago

When I was 6 and I have been writing ever since then smile

1. profile image0
      kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

and very well I might add smile big_smile

1. AEvans profile image70
        AEvansposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You right well too! I still have those stories from long, long ago.lolololo big_smile

1. calpol25 profile image60
          calpol25posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Snap xxx I found one I wrote over 10 yrs ago and published it on here (return to the theatre) lol smile

5. profile image0
    Kathryn LJposted 13 years ago

I used to write all the time when I was a kid living in a small country village.  Embarassingly, I had a poem entered by my English teacher into the Queens' jubilee competition and it won and was sent to the queen.  Made me look like a right swat and I stopped writing for years.  Only took it up again when I had the kids and absolutely no time on my hands.

6. CrystalStarWoman profile image59
    CrystalStarWomanposted 13 years ago

I'm not a writer - well, not a proper writer hmm

I just chat on a paper...

People have always told me I should write a book, but I can only write about things that happen to me, or things that I've done, or experienced - I can't seem to write fiction.

The first thing I can remember writing was when I was at school, aged about 5 or 6. My Dad, who was policeman, had jumped into the sea in February, in the snow, to save a man from drowning and I had written about it. The teacher put my 'story' on the wall and I was really excited about it!

7. Maddie Ruud profile image72
    Maddie Ruudposted 13 years ago

I dictated stories to my mother before I could even write my alphabet.  I spent a lot of my childhood writing the first halves of about 50 novels, then switched to poetry in my teenage years, then freelance (nonfiction) writing as an adult.  I hardly have time to write even a stray hub anymore, and I do miss it terribly.

8. Sparhawke profile image59
    Sparhawkeposted 13 years ago

I am a writer? O_o

9. aimeeSF profile image64
    aimeeSFposted 13 years ago

Mine came as a child.  I had such an imagination that I had to write it down.  The older I got, the more my writing improved - and now I get paid to write smile

10. profile image0
    kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years ago

when I wrote a poem at 8  smile

11. Rafini profile image82
    Rafiniposted 13 years ago

I've always known I would be a writer, but lacked support from my family from the first time I mentioned it when I was about 8.  (a waste of time, a waste of paper, no future, wanna starve?  wanna be unemployed your whole life?) 

I kept the dream hidden inside me, knowing one day I would begin to write seriously.

1. profile image0
      kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

amazing for you.

They can kill the dreamer but they can never kill the dream

I'm so happy your writing your dream.

Way to Go

Very inspiring, thank you.

1. Rafini profile image82
        Rafiniposted 13 years agoin reply to this

smile I like what you said.  they can kill the dreamer but they can never kill the dream.  well, I wouldn't like to be killed...lol...but, yeah...I suppose in the figurative sense, it did happen that way. hmm

12. Randy Godwin profile image61
    Randy Godwinposted 13 years ago

I only began experimenting with writing about three years ago.  Lots of fun and more money than I expected to make from it, though!  Still have a lot to learn!

13. calpol25 profile image60
    calpol25posted 13 years ago

I began writing and telling stories when i was a child of 4 and always had to annoy my mum and dad with them, I suppose as i got older the feelings for writing got stronger and in the end here i am lol smile

14. Urbane Chaos profile image90
    Urbane Chaosposted 13 years ago

I was in sixth grade.  I wrote a short story for English class. My teacher, once it was done, submitted it to an amateur writers contest.  He didn't tell me about it at the time, but when it won second place, I was thrilled.

He told me this, "Whatever you write, no matter how good or how bad it is, it is a masterpiece because it comes from the heart."

Ever since, I've been a writer.

15. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 13 years ago

I had always written song lyrics and poems from the time I was 13. I didn't seriously get into writing until my 30s.

16. mythbuster profile image71
    mythbusterposted 13 years ago

I was really young when I realized I might end up getting into writing.

I was sort of re-writing nursery rhyme/kids' tales by the time I was in grade two (so my family has told me). I don't remember all of the things going on when I was that young, but do remember I was upset with the Humpty Dumpty story and wrote that he didn't fall off the wall - and another version where a very good doctor from Sweden (don't ask where I got that idea lol) DID put him back together again...happily ever after and all that stuff.

Pretty soon, however, I found out about the "bigger kids'" section of the library. I might have been a good children's book author if I hadn't found that bigger person's library section lol Now it's all spook stories for me

smile

17. Broker Girl profile image61
    Broker Girlposted 13 years ago

I was published in "young authors" in elementary school and have been hooked ever since.  I use to read R.L. Stein books in middle school and made my own creepy, pre-teen novels.  I was and am still mesmerized with the power of the written word.  Journaling is like an addiction - a way to free my mind of all the incessant thoughts that obscure the ability to focus on necessary tasks- like work:)   I can write far better than I can speak - My mind seems to slow down and be much more thoughtful and witty when I write.  When I try and speak, all the thoughts tend to jumble together and come out in one big mess at 90mph.  Thank God for pen and paper:)

18. Dstiteler profile image64
    Dstitelerposted 13 years ago

I hated writing in elementary, and quite frankly i sucked. Now im a lot better, but i still have work to do. Writing is awesome!!!!

19. CaseyB35 profile image60
    CaseyB35posted 13 years ago

I have yet to consider myself a writer. The stuff I do is such a simple thing to do, like they say, "So easy, even a cave man can do it." Though some would say other wise, which I guess I would say that I started back in 1998, when I was 13. I had many things happen in my life that writing seemed to relieve stress. It let me get things out on paper as if I just told the world what I was thinking even if I was the only one to read it.

20. H.C Porter profile image80
    H.C Porterposted 13 years ago

When I was 6/7ish I started to write things down that I wanted to say, but never could (at least not effectively) because I would stutter horribly when I got excited or nervous (which was one of the two 90% of the time). When I was 9 I began adding to the story line of the soap opera's my mom would watch-by drawing scenes in chalk down the drive way and writing up dialog of each character for my sister & I to read to my mom & aunt (and I didn't stutter when reading it out loud, so it was encouraged). By high school wrote everything I thought about or wondered about and more importantly wrote everything I felt-which was a soothing outlet I needed to be able to comprehend my world-and I'm still writing today,

21. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

I'm not really sure I would consider myself a "writer" the way people who do a lot of creative writing do.  When I was little I did the usual thing of making books, drawing pictures (of family members), and adding a few words; but they weren't really stories. 

From the time I was really young through adolescence, my sister (older than I) and I get out our "Magic Slates" (the things you draw on with a stylus, lift the film, and start over) each Saturday morning.  Together we'd "co-write" stories that were kind of soap-opera-like, from separate chairs across the room.  She'd draw her scene.  I'd draw mine.  We'd talk about the story, and then draw a new scene.  We loved that, and today we think it was kind of strange how we did it each and every Saturday morning (if we were home).  That was thinking up stories, though, and it was more about drawing than writing.

Throughout childhood my thing was more reading than writing.

Here's the part I'm not too proud of (not that I'm proud of what I've already said  lol ):  In around fifth or sixth grade I discovered I could come up with great book reports without really reading the book.  roll  I knew just what to look for on the cover, how to skim, etc., and I learned that I had a knack for coming up with something that always got me an "A".  It made book reports more challenging and fun.  lol

Here's more that I'm not proud of:  Throughout the secondary-school years I started to see that I could use writing to make up for a lot of other stuff I wasn't interested in doing in school.  I could do quite a bit of goofing off but then come up with good essays and reports that meant I still got good grades.  ("This writing thing is a great thing," I discovered.)

Something less shady happened, though, and that was my writing would get noticed.  Teachers and relatives liked what I wrote (like essays), and my friends started to ask me to write things like letters for them (to try to get them job interviews, add to their college applications, etc.) (I know I'm back to the shady purposes of writing again, but as the "requestee" for these letters, I got a sense of having a little bit of skill with writing.  Also, I started to discover the power of the written word.

So, I just kind of fell into being a person other people called "good at writing" and just kind of took it for granted that I had a little bit of a knack for it.  It wasn't until I was grown up, and past my photography and illustration phase that I started to feel the urge to write (with the less "shady" motives most people who write do).  Shady motives or not, one way or another, writing has just been something I've done since about fifth grade.   To this day, I don't consider myself a "writer".  I'm someone who writes for fun or profit, and I'm someone who will use writing to win an argument, win lawsuits, make points, share what I've learned, or win disputes with customer-service issues.  I'm "so not" a writer, though.  To me, writing because someone else hires me to write it is no different than a plumber fixing pipes; or an envelope-stuffer stuffing envelopes.  People who don't write often see me as a "writer", but people who "really" write would see a big difference between themselves and me.   lol

22. Mike Lickteig profile image76
    Mike Lickteigposted 13 years ago

When I was in grade school I was told I structured sentences well and that my grammar was good.  I created cartoons with names like "Marvin the Hippie" and "Dallas and the Dragon," that I wrote and drew and was allowed to put on the bulletin board at school.  In junior high, I borrowed my older brother's typewriter and typed stories that I shared with friends in school.

I strayed from writing when I pursued art in college, but found myself writing training manuals and copy for various employers in the world of work.  After awhile I decided I enjoyed writing what I wanted to write than writing training manuals, and considered myself a writer from that moment on.

23. thranax profile image72
    thranaxposted 13 years ago

I might write but im not a writer,
    I might rhyme but im not a poet,
    I was looking for something brighter,
    So I was a Hubber and didn't know it.

~thranax~

24. wrenfrost56 profile image56
    wrenfrost56posted 13 years ago

It started when I was a child, I used to write notes and ideas all the time. Then when I grew up I realized there was nothing I would rather spend my time doing. It's a bit of a compulsion and takes over my life, but I would'nt want it anyother way. smile

25. Origin profile image61
    Originposted 13 years ago

When I asked my mom for a word processor that was half typewriter, and I started spewing out a bunch of short stories, I knew it was for me! I was like 8 or so.

26. waynet profile image68
    waynetposted 13 years ago

I always liked to write shopping lists, but not spending all my money in a flash.

Also I've always written stories and been a part of my own comic book worlds for years...

27. profile image0
    poetlorraineposted 13 years ago

i wrote an essay at school, i had just moved schools and was having a hard time, it was entitled "THE difference between two schools"... everyone went mad about it, and spoke about it's honesty etc etc.  I did not get many red marks on my pages of a positive nature, so always remembered what he told me.  I was a writer.  My next essay was about how lazy i was, and scared of success.  I am still lazy and scared of success, so hub pages suits me ..... no pressure.  great question thanks

28. profile image0
    ralwusposted 13 years ago

Hah! I'm still tryin'!

29. Disturbia profile image61
    Disturbiaposted 13 years ago

I am not a writer, I'm an interior designer.  I started writing because my therapist suggested it might be beneficial for me.  Write it down, read it, acknowledge it, toss it away, move on.

30. chinweike profile image58
    chinweikeposted 13 years ago

When one of my professors told me i could do well sharing my knowledge as a writer.

31. profile image0
    khmohsinposted 13 years ago

Teaching and sharing has been my passion always. I am not a writer, I only write to share information or teach something. So my sharing habits have made me a writer.

32. NightEmpress profile image60
    NightEmpressposted 13 years ago

It's a hobby I have since childhood.

33. myownworld profile image73
    myownworldposted 13 years ago

I've always known it in my bones that I wanted to be a writer - the one truth you know you can never deny about yourself. I still have a cupboard in my parent's house piled high with all the diaries, stories and poems I wrote. An insane obsession.  Yes, I won the award for the best writer in our year in school, went onto becoming the editor of my college magazine, published in local magazines, but these laurels are no measure of any writer. You write because you have to; what follows afterwards is insignificant compared to that need - more basic and powerful than any other you know. smile

34. andromida profile image56
    andromidaposted 13 years ago

I have yet to realize that I am a writer, I just ramble with words-that's for sure smile

1. Awful Poet profile image69
      Awful Poetposted 13 years ago

In My Past Life Filled With
      Fine Etiquette , Wine , And
      Constant Sarrow Of Death.
      The Ink Is My Crayon
      And I just Like To Coler.
      Do We Not All Write
      Isnt It In Are Nature
      As A Hole.
      Well Maybe
      Well Maybe Not.

2. samboiam profile image60
      samboiamposted 13 years ago

I am not a writer. I am one that puts my feelings on paper and hope they make sense when I am finished.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)