How long does it take for your hubs to properly 'age'?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (33 posts)
  1. easyspeak profile image67
    easyspeakposted 14 years ago

How long before you get your optimal traffic?  1 month, 2 months, 5 months?

2. Elijah S profile image59
    Elijah Sposted 14 years ago

two years wink

1. easyspeak profile image67
      easyspeakposted 14 years agoin reply to this

very funny...i almost freaked while your smiley was downloading.

1. relache profile image73
        relacheposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't necessarily think that's a joke.  I have a few Hubs that, much like a fine wine, have shown tremendous development after a few years.

3. jacobkuttyta profile image43
    jacobkuttytaposted 14 years ago

I think 1 month

1. profile image0
      EmpressFelicityposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Some hubs might hit their stride after one month or earlier, but I've had hubs that lay dormant for several months before getting any organic traffic at all.  In fact after eight months here, my overall traffic is only now starting to climb beyond 100 views per day.  I'm actually hoping that this is only the start and that even my older hubs haven't truly "aged" yet.

2. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

One month is far too early. 

You'll get a spike of early traffic from other Hubbers, then it will go relatively quiet.  If you've been busy social bookmarking, you may get more traffic but it probably won't produce much income.

It seems to take 3 or 4 months for most Hubs to start producing decent income.

Some of our elite Hubbers write their seasonal Hubs about 6 months ahead of the holiday for exactly that reason.

4. Origin profile image60
    Originposted 14 years ago

I've gotten hits from Google, Yahoo and some other search engines a day or two after creation, but that doesn't happen too much. Usually takes about 1-3 months to get in there well.

5. arthriticknee profile image66
    arthritickneeposted 14 years ago

This picture sums it up nicely.

Check out the last time a hub was published.
    Apart from the dip around Christmas you can see that traffic is still improving with no additional promotional work done on my part.

http://hubpages.com/stats/graph/usertraffic.php?user=563885

1. profile image0

I can't see the image?

6. arthriticknee profile image66

Hmmm. it is showing up for me but when I log out and view as a guest it doesnt show.

7. arthriticknee profile image66

To describe it, the last hub was published in August 2009. Since that time the average page view per day is now 4 x what it was then.

1. profile image0

For all of your hubs, even the ones you published first?  I suppose what I'm trying to ask is "have any of your hubs peaked yet and started a downward journey?" If the answer's "no", then that's very reassuring!  And it would be even more reassuring to hear the same "no" from someone who's been a member here for - say - two years or longer.  It would make me feel that I'm not wasting my time here, at least where online earnings are concerned.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
        Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No. The successful Hubs have just kept on climbing. At one point, the growth was positively exponential. 

Of course, some of my Hubs have barely taken off at all - probably because I chose the wrong subjects.  They just sit there quietly earning the odd cent if they're lucky!

1. profile image0

That's fantastic to know, Marisa.  'Cos from where I'm sitting at the moment, the amount of effort I've expended in writing my 60 hubs has far outweighed any financial benefit I've derived from them!  But if I know they have a reasonable chance of earning me money in the future, then I won't feel so frustrated LOL.

Roughly what percentage of your time have you spent on backlinking?  I've done a bit of backlinking - through Xomba, SheToldMe and Snipsly - but I find it mind-numbingly tedious and am wondering whether I would be better off not bothering to backlink at all and just write hubs.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
            Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Not a lot.  I find it boring, too!  For the last 18 months, if I've done any backlinking at all it's been to my websites, not my Hubs.   Mind you, that's probably why I'm only just making payout each month - we have to break $150 in Australia sad

8. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

I think it is hard to know.

One of my hubs was a dog for almost 2 years!

It took off a few days ago, and is climbing. I have no idea why yet.
    Gotta go fire up analytics and find out why! lol

9. wrenfrost56 profile image56
    wrenfrost56posted 14 years ago

It depends, sometimes a really long time. Sometimes they just need optimizing. smile

10. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

Marisa, I think that is probably accurate. smile

11. torimari profile image68
    torimariposted 14 years ago

Certain ones took longer than others, and hell, I hardly get any traffic as it is. big_smile

However, when I decided to vanish after being here for 5 months, I came back and magically had a lot more views than when I was around.

It's random.

12. lawretta profile image62
    lawrettaposted 14 years ago

from experience, i will say 1 year.

13. Amanda Severn profile image93
    Amanda Severnposted 14 years ago

I've been here nearly two years and have 52 hubs. I haven't published anything at all for some months now, and in fact I scarcely visited Hubpages in the first quarter of this year, yet suddenly my page views have really started to climb. My best performing hubs are (mostly) those that I've put a lot of effort into, and that have plenty of links to other sites. This month I have at last hit the £60 threshold on Google for payout to UK hubbers. (Yippee!)

1. profile image0

Wooohooo!  Way to go! [insert suitable wavy handed smiley here]

(Sorry, somebody here was going to say it.  It might as well have been me lol lol)

1. Amanda Severn profile image93
        Amanda Severnposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Empress Felicity. I must admit I'm not surprised it's taken so long. Hardly any of my hubs are particularly commercial unless you include the travel hubs. Still £60 is not to be sneezed at. The kids are already planning what we're going to do with it! LOL! So I guess it's pizzas all round!

14. brettb profile image61
    brettbposted 14 years ago

Do you find that hubs lose traffic after a while (especially in competitive niches)?

My personal site had some pages in very competitive niches, but I found that after a while their visits really dropped (the rest of the site gets a LOT of traffic).

I also found that when I went on vacation recently my hub visits really dropped significantly.

1. relache profile image73
      relacheposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You've only been on the site for 26 hours so I find your vacation statement improbable.

1. Elijah S profile image59
        Elijah Sposted 14 years agoin reply to this

could be a different account smile

1. brettb profile image61
          brettbposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Correct, that's not my main account. I've been on hubpages 3 months, adsense since it started in '03.

2. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No, not after the first week or so.    Everyone gets a spike of traffic when they publish a Hub, especially if they have followers - that's other Hubbers checking it out. 

When that falls away, you have to wait for search engine traffic.  If you've written in a very competitive niche, that may never arrive.   Similarly if you've written on a topic no one is searching for.  And similarly if you've written about something that's "news" - because it's old news by the time the search engines get around to it.

If you do start getting search engine traffic, the likelihood is it will keep building over time.

1. Jayne Lancer profile image92
        Jayne Lancerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Good to know. At least 75% of my traffic is from search engines: It can only get better!

15. Richieb799 profile image74
    Richieb799posted 14 years ago

One of my hubs exploded with traffic just after I wrote it and then it died down to about 20 views a day, 3 months later it has risen back to 100 views a day and that was about a week ago..so maybe some of my links have gained a high ranking somewhere!

16. Jule Romans profile image95
    Jule Romansposted 13 years ago

Thanks for all the good advice in this thread. I knew it would take some time, but I forgot that it could be six months or more.

1. Jule Romans profile image95
      Jule Romansposted 13 years agoin reply to this

PS- could you write an excuse not to my boss for why I am "almost late" to work every day for the past three months? haha

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)