moral conundrum

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (49 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 14 years ago

in the hit film kick ass, the main protagonists questions why doesn't anyone in real life ever try to be a super hero?  seriously, he honestly asks this question in the film.  therefore, i would like to know if you all ever felt the same way, and if so what's stopping you from being a real life super hero?  no, this isn't a stupid joke forum for you guys to joke around about, as im actually quite serious. why doesn't anyone in real life ever try to be a super hero?  please discuss.

1. Jeff Berndt profile image73
      Jeff Berndtposted 14 years agoin reply to this

In real life, being a "super hero" is called being a "vigilante."

1. profile image0
        Stevennix2001posted 14 years agoin reply to this

good point. do you think there's many of these so called vigilantes?  if not, then what do you think is stopping people like you and me from becoming vigilantes?

2. Padrino profile image61
        Padrinoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

A person who interferes with a crime and tries to stop it is not a vigilante!

A person who interferes with a crime and stops it then summarily punishes the one committing the crime is a vigilante!

Words mean things!

2. profile image0
      LegendaryHeroposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Because doing that would be risking death.

Here are some real superheroes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real-life_superhero

1. profile image0

wow, what a bunch of f***ing idiots!  lollollol

3. goldenpath profile image67
      goldenpathposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What is a superhero?

To me superheros are seen everyday.  A father and mother teaching principles of basic right and wrong is heroic as the residual affect of those teachings last for generations.  A counselor struggling hard to reach and understand a troubled youth is a hero as that effort may bring happiness, joy and a productive life to that youth.  A policeman daily putting himself in harms way to protect the innocent is heroic as he helps to maintain order in a nation.  A mother cradling a child out of love is a superhero as that child may know love throughout it's life.

I may be off base from what you are looking for, but a superhero goes far deeper and in more humbling terms than the superheros of the film studios. 

The true superheros are out there everyday including those defending our freedoms.

2. TLMinut profile image59
    TLMinutposted 14 years ago

I bet people do - don't you think Obama went into office with plans to be exactly that? The one who would fix so many problems in America that everyone would be thrilled and amazed?

People who work so hard trying to bring schools, wells, food, and medical care to other countries are trying too. I don't know anyone trying to use their superpowers though.

1. profile image0

well to be fair, neither does kick ass have any powers.  no, he's basically just a kid who dons a costume and starts to fight crime just because he has good intentions.  what im asking is do you think anyone else has ever thought of that, and if so, then what's stopping them from heading into the streets and taking on gangs and mafia hit men?  that's bascially what im asking.

1. profile image0
        Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

the law, cops, "obstruction of justice" getting sued, all that might stop a guy from trying to get involved.

1. profile image0

lol.  that's true too.  although you should also add in the factor that it's very dangerous and you could end up getting yourself killed too.  or if you do happen to mess with any gangs, then there's always a possibility they'll go after your family and friends too.

2. Lisa HW profile image61
          Lisa HWposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Justine, true.   Not to mention, some of us are mothers; and it would irresponsible to risk our lives and leave our kids (or bring serious, dangerous, mess into their lives). 

So, while I'd be more willing than to try to be a super-hero, I must play the "mother card" - and one day I'll play the "grandmother" card as well.  lol   (Looks like being a super-hero isn't in those cards for me.  smile  )

1. raisingme profile image76
            raisingmeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It is my experience as a mother of four and soon to be grandmother that mothers have super powers in multiple areas of life and as a mother one often finds themselves doing things they would never have dreamed themselves capable of.  I read an account of where a mother had even lifted a vehicle in order to free her child who was pinned underneath it.  Super-  yes - it's all part of motherhood.  If there are super heroes among us - I would say hundreds of thousands of mothers would qualify for membership in that exclusive club.

A super hero protects those who are unable to protect themselves as in not "risk our lives and leave our kids (or bring serious, dangerous, mess into their lives"!

I think that you are a Super Hero - I know I am one big_smile

2. aka-dj profile image65
        aka-djposted 14 years agoin reply to this

They don't have a camera crew with them, and they don't get paid any royalties from it. lol

3. luvpassion profile image62
    luvpassionposted 14 years ago

We are surrounded by hero's the distinction between super-hero and hero is something to be considered...no one is bullet proof.

1. profile image0

yeah, that is true.  good point there.

4. profile image0
    Justine76posted 14 years ago

I guess it depends on your definiton of "Real life super hero." I think there are tons of them. Teachers who take the time to go the extra bit and actually make a difference in a kids life. Doctors who will work at clinics, making far less money then they deseve yet helping people who are in need. A father who works 60 hours a week to provide for his familly witout complaint. A mother who stays up all night with a sick child. A freind who drops everything and drives 150  miles to hold your hand when you think your life is over. I dont think you actually need to "kick ass" to be a hero.

1. profile image0

yeah, i agree with you there.  i think anyone who fits into the description you just described is a autmatic hero in my book.  heck, i would also like to add that i think any american soldier who's fighting over in iraq and afghanistan right now, are the real life supermen as far as im concerned as well.

2. ThoughtfulSpot profile image69
      ThoughtfulSpotposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Justine - I think you've nailed it here.

5. TLMinut profile image59
    TLMinutposted 14 years ago

When you hit the streets ready to take them on, they disappear.

1. profile image0

yeah, that's true.

6. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 14 years ago

i guess nobody else has anything to add. lol.

7. Arthur Fontes profile image73
    Arthur Fontesposted 14 years ago

I think firefighters are superheros.  IMO  when everone else is running out our brave firefighters are rushing in to try and save lives.

8. profile image0
    cosetteposted 14 years ago

well some guys try it like those dudes in New York who wore red berets and kicked a$$ but they were called vigilantes although i think people like that are kind of cool (except for that Dog The Bounty Hunter, he rubs me the wrong way for some reason). most people like you and i don't do that because we don't want to get arrested.

p.s. and i think we have superheroes - our men & women in uniform. my nephew leaves for boot camp on the 26th and after that he will train for a year for service as an IED tech, then he will go to either Aghanistan or Iraq. i don't know why i mentioned this i guess i was thinking about him today

1. profile image0

wow, you must be very proud of him.  if you ask me cosette, your nephew is a hero in my book.  anyone who's brave enough to fight for his country are the real life supermen as far as i'm concerned.

2. Arthur Fontes profile image73
      Arthur Fontesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The Guardian Angels.

They are still around, they just opened a chapter in New Bedford Ma.  They just keep an eye out in the neighborhood and call the police if there is trouble.  It took them awhile to get permission from the city.

9. profile image0
    cosetteposted 14 years ago

thank you Steven. i am. we all are. scared for him too. i had a hub about him, and my son, but i took it down because of all the forum drama. anyway when i think about him it feels like a veil is wrapping around my heart, or vapors, and i want to cry, so i don't think about that part. just him. anyway bless you for saying that. ((hugs))

1. profile image0

(hugs back) well, for what it's worth, i hope your nephew comes back home safe and sound soon.  as far as your hub goes, i can understand why.  in fact, i think with the mass hysteria this whole sock puppet fiasco has caused, it's making everyone uneasy.  even me as i just previously mentioned in another forum.  anyway, are you going to be okay though?

2. h.a.borcich profile image61
      h.a.borcichposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sorry I am off topic...Cosette I will put him in my daily prayers. My son served in Iraq and I remember my first breath feeling better when I knew he was back on US soil. God speed and God Bless, Holly

1. profile image0
        cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

yes. even though i am delicate looking, my loved ones call me Old Ironsides, heh. i bend but don't break. smile you just gave me an idea for a hub. i will dedicate it to you since i thought i had lost my muse. thank you.

they were kind of hot looking from pictures i've seen wink

thank you to your son for his service Holly.

1. profile image0

wow, really?  you don't have to dedicate a hub to me.  however, i am flattered that you would say that though.  it means a lot coming from you, as i consider you one of the best writers here.  smile

10. angela_michelle profile image95
    angela_michelleposted 13 years ago

I will be honest, I don't help people stopped by the side of the road, because I am a woman, and I'm afraid that they are just trying to get someone to stop by the side of the road to abduct them.

I don't give money to a homeless man, because I am a woman, and I'm afraid of getting hurt.

I don't help hitchhikers because.... well you get the point.

My husband on the other hand does help these people, but only when me and my daughter are not with him. Plus he has told me never to help them for reasons I stated above. So I think people do not try to be a super hero because they are afraid of getting hurt themselves.

11. Greek One profile image64
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

one must first define "Super Hero"

1. Padrino profile image61

I thought all heroes were super.

1. Greek One profile image64
        Greek Oneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

no.. guys like Aquaman were on a lower rung

There was always something fishy about him.

12. Greek One profile image64
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

At least he was cooler than the Wonder Twins.. remember them?

Guess not. was that the young girl and boy that had the dog?

They had a space monkey named Gleek (no relation to yours truely)

http://www.supermanhomepage.com/images/superfriends/wonder-twins1.jpg

No, I don't remember them, Ive had a few beers since the 70's.

lol... after about 6 or 7, I begin to think I am the guy on the left... 10 or 11, and i pretend i am the chic on the right,... and after 20 to 25, I'm the space monkey

It happens.

13. Padrino profile image61
    Padrinoposted 13 years ago

I was thinking of Wendy,Marvin and Wonderdog from the original Super Friends.

Wendy was HOT

She wasn't Daphne from Scoobydoo hot, but she would do in a rush!

Is it healthy and/or natural to get aroused be 2 dimensional cartoon images?

Doubt it, but do you care?

too late now...

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_sspZHvCTC60/S62eS_AZ5FI/AAAAAAAABig/RXmmjZKEZh4/s1600/fred_flintstone.jpg

14. ThoughtfulSpot profile image69
    ThoughtfulSpotposted 13 years ago

Also, you have to consider the societal structures.  I may think that my form of justice is correct, however, I might not agree with yours.  In theory (although, admittedly it doesn't always work) we here in America appointed officials and institutions to be certain that everyone gets fair treatment and justice.  I don't think our system is perfect, but even if I did feel that I wanted to attempt the "super hero" life, I don't know that I have the right to be judge and jury.  There's a reason that a system of checks and balances were put into place.

That said, I do not believe that our government and institutions are responsible for the behavior of the people in every instance.  I do think that individuals need to stand up.  I try to do what is right and abide by my own "moral code" - whatever that means - and, if I see that someone is being treated unfairly, I do try to speak up about it.  I try to teach my children to do the same.

(I also agree with the "bullet proof" comment someone made.  I might be more inclined to jump off a building if I knew I could fly, so to speak.)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)