Why to Keep The SAME Avatar

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (42 posts)
  1. katiem2 profile image60
    katiem2posted 13 years ago

If you're hubbing to make money your Avatar becomes your trademark and if it's changed followers and or potential customers may loose you in the mix. 

What are your thoughts on branding in terms of your avatar of profile picture?

1. H.C Porter profile image80
      H.C Porterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Im not sure if that is true or not-but it is something to think about.
      I think if this is true-as long as you have a common element in your avatar, you should be okay, even if the avatar picture changes.
      For Example- if this was true and I changed my avatar constantly (which sometimes I do) I would have a constant element in my pictures like my hat. The picture may be different but the hat is consistent and easily recognizable.

2. mega1 profile image80
      mega1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Wow - you really have a strong opinion on this subject, which is just terrific, considering that avatar pic you use is probably a model and you are probably actually a paunchy, balding 70 year old man sitting in a over-sized chair at a desk in a one-bedroom filthy apartment in Chicago.  How do I know these things?  check out my avatar for today!

1. mega1 profile image80
        mega1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I forgot the lol   - I was just kidding around, I don't really think you are a balding paunchy old guy!  Of course, who's to say that any of us are anything like we portray ourselves.  I like the element of risk and dare and mystery involved.  Although some of my favorite hubbers are very dependable and reliable and probably exactly who they say they are and that's great too!  oh dear.  Now I don't know.  How nice it must be to be so sure of one's opinion on these earth-shaking matters.  lol

2. Cagsil profile image69
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

I wouldn't want people to accept a foolish avatar as a symbol of me as a person and anyone who believed that my avatar represents anything more than what it is, is ignorant or misguided by poor ideological beliefs of some sort.

But, I guess there might be some who connect with a picture, but then again, my avatar on HubPages is not the same as my avatar at other sites. My blog is different, my Facebook is the same as the blog, but different than HubPages.

My RedGage account is also the same as blog and Facebook, and not the same as HubPages. However, everything I've written and done for HubPages is labeled with my real name. smile

3. Cagsil profile image69

As always Katie, wonderful to see you. smile big_smile

katiem2posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I should have been more thoughtful in my question.  I mean, more to the point, avatar and photo switching if your purpose is to trademark and create a money stream, I can't imagine cagsil as anything other than what Cagsil is now and I feel your a consistent and reliable source from which I can depend on a certain quality and to me that is very closely related to consistency.  I know when I see Cagsil what I expect from Cagsil.... as if your a loyal figure due to a calm confidence and stability.  So many people appreciate stability and look to it for guidance, you are a guiding light regardless of the whimsy here at times who says we all need be?

Great to see you as well, and to see you as what I've come to expect! wink smile

1. travelespresso profile image68
        travelespressoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree with your thoughts here.  I recognise people by their avatar before the name.  Then when I see the symbol of particular people, I have some idea what to expect.  I think its a really good thing to keep consistent.

4. Cagsil profile image69

Well, thank you so much for your kind words about those who do read my work. And, as for you having more thought about it, that is not necessary the case, because of what I said.

I like this particular avatar you presently see and the knowledge(the avatar is suppose to have being a guiding angel in a video game), portrays the message I try to convey in my words.

The picture of myself, I use on others, really does not matter, except in the manner, as you say- Marketing. In that case, outside HubPages you can see the real me.

It maybe the only inconsistent thing about my work, but once the message is received(my writing and meaning behind avatar), then more is realized. smile

I know, Right?

P.S. you just gave this issue greater clarity and me more thought...

wink

1. Cagsil profile image69
        Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Nice to know. smile wink

5. Cagsil profile image69

Oh btw Katie- that picture of you....I consider sexy. tongue

Really, I was going for novelist!  Hmmmmmm!  smile

I guess it is those pretty eyes that does it. smile wink

You do flatter me... smile

If that is how you see the truth in my words, then by all means. smile

6. barryrutherford profile image75
    barryrutherfordposted 13 years ago

I reccomend using the same avatar on all your social networking sites as well as blogs

Thanks barry, I agree... smile

7. Rafini profile image81
    Rafiniposted 13 years ago

I like the idea of my avatar representing who I am and what I have to offer.  I like my current avatar (I think it represents sophistication and the dramatic) but am still on the lookout for one I may like better and/or one that would represent me better.

8. frogdropping profile image78
    frogdroppingposted 13 years ago

Always used the same one. Use it everywhere else too. It's probably the dumbest avatar on the internet smile

1. earnestshub profile image80
      earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It is a great name, and a great avatar I think. I can always spot the froggy one. smile

9. Cagsil profile image69

Not at all. It is quite funny, but not dumb. smile tongue

10. nikipa profile image62
    nikipaposted 13 years ago

I stil cant decide what avatar to use, besides since I signed up here (more then 3 months ago) I use only my own pictures. I dont think something else can represent me better smile Hope to decide which one is the best in the near future...

11. Cagsil profile image69

Hey Niki, WOW! Haven't seen you for like months...LOL!

What's up? How are you today? smile

1. nikipa profile image62
      nikipaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I am very well, thank YOU! smile
      Hope things are ok with you as well.

I am just very busy with work in real life where I earn real money... LOL

Hope to be an active hubber in summer when I will have more time.

I am doing well. Thank you for asking. It will be a pleasure to see you more often perhaps over the summer months. smile

1. nikipa profile image62
          nikipaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I will for sure! Have a lot of new ideas...
          Besides, I Love HB Community!

12. profile image0
    ralwusposted 13 years ago

I like to change mine now and again, but this one is the real me, or was a year ago almost. I am even more ugly now.

13. profile image0
    kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years ago

earnest is so smart for changing his so frequently - I promise you not one person here, FB, redgage twitter etc knows what he really looks like.

I have a great bribe in mind to fins out,

Don't fret

you sly dog you.

Not that I think you look like a dog

i just shoved my foot in my ass damn it!

again.

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/3041326_f260.jpg

Nice shoe horn Kimberley! lol

1. profile image0
        kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

nice one-definitely using in hub tonight as caption-with your name of course

lol lol lol

14. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 13 years ago

I got told to change my avatar. A hubber got sick of seeing it! smile
    No can do. I have been using the same photo in offline endeavours too.
    As bad as that head is, it is a photo of me and as I don't claim to be a movie star, I just need the consistency of one avatar across all my work here and elsewhere. smile
    That's marketing for you.

I believe that if you want your work to be seen and read, don't make the reader come looking for your new avatar, they will just move on to one they know. smile

15. profile image0

Are you saying I'm wrong?

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/2909994_f496.jpg

16. profile image0

In deed need of caption for this shot?

anyone?

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/3072200_f260.jpg

17. profile image0

I now i put myself in a shoe hub but I guess better than nothing at all

any other idea's

I'm healed?

I have enough sole?

I 'm just getting to the bottom of things?

I love strapless arrire?

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/3091768_f520.jpg

Very beautiful. smile

18. Cagsil profile image69

New Brand of Running Shoe- Lightweight and effortless to put on in tight situations one might run in to or for the times when running away seems best. smile

1. profile image0

Cag's using it-will copyright your name
      very good
      oh just have to run and pick up something

thanks again

19. profile image0

OK EVERYONE THANKS FOR ALL THE SUPPORT XO

20. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 13 years ago

I get bored with the same avatar - if people don't know and remember my name, then they wouldn't recognize anything about me, I figure.  I think by now people expect me to change!

1. profile image0

No disrespect, I really do agree with keeping the same avatar, after markeing advertising for 29 years it is actually key.  you are  actually branding yourself or messagefior that matter.  Like Earnest nored, people won't just pass by, let's faceit picture first, if intriguing then name, if not, name not even glanced at

Good or efective branding of avatars come from our senior icons I find.  I will stop to read a post if I see

Misha
      earnesthubs
      yoshi
      waynet
      rmcrayne
      AEVANS
      deborah sexton
      mikel Roberts
      Ghost
      Mike L
      Cagsil
      travelespresso
      blongepoey
      awfulpoet
      izzy
      fastfreda
      faybe
      ohma
      glass spider
      twenty one
      springboard
      mark knowles
      rynette may change but very sedom
      texan and bood did this
      poppa blues
      bad compnay
      tattoo guy
      healthtip
      wordscribe
      nell
      maddie
      richie and steven consistant
      marisa wright
      stipm
      denno
      hmr1
      zzron
      zampona
      daniel carter
      wsp did
      chinaman
      dom shadows
      hokey at first
      anath
      habee
      relash
      patty english
      frogdropping
      quill
      ralwus
      myownworld
      manlypoetryman
      redelf
      susana S
      emievel
      cabingirk
      Yony
      BT
      beth

and the hlarious
      greek one

then there's maximus
      he still here?

One of the best is misty horizon

and the winner

perarldiver

off the top of my head

an x hubber  lyricsingray was unable to restrain from changing her picture no longer than 3 days.  Mostly her, the rest promoting a hub-this is a good example of confusing the viewer they just pass br, and kinberlyslyrics
      all in my opinion a great job of holding and displaying consistence sinoke ei
      M

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)