Help and advice required!

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (18 posts)
  1. FranyaBlue profile image73
    FranyaBlueposted 13 years ago

So I am taking the plunge into my first ever novel.

It will be historical fiction....

I have begun writing books before but lost interest in my own story lines lol usually due to not having the whole story thought up before starting but I am significantly excited about my new idea and the whole plot seems to be unfolding in my mind - quicker than I can write it up.

The great thing is my story line is embedded into real historical events so it helps me keep to the story and not go off on some random tangent!

I have planned my plot twists, I have an ending, and I am currently 4000 words in.

I wanted to ask all you hubbers out there if there is anything I have missed....do you have any good tips, tricks or any advice that you think would be useful to a novice?

Please help!

1. stoneangel444 profile image60
      stoneangel444posted 13 years agoin reply to this

May I recommend you take your note book to a museum where you can get into the era and a feel for what your characters may have experienced. You can have a look at the clothing and total lack of conveniences which we take for granted and it might help to keep you writing. I am also a fan of steven kings book and wrote a hub about it some months ago whch you are welcome to read. I has helped me .  Good luck

FranyaBlueposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I love museums! Thanks.

2. FranyaBlue profile image73
    FranyaBlueposted 13 years ago

I posted this hours ago.....has no one got any good advice to share? sad

3. Arthur Fontes profile image75
    Arthur Fontesposted 13 years ago

I can say, i like historicol fiction. James Clavell is one of the best. His history is accurate and his characters hold the readers interest.  What period of history is your novel?

the specific year is 1903....but it spans a few years before and after.

I want my story to work around the history of the suffragettes so it has a lot of what really happened at the time plus my story woven in...if that makes sense! but more story than history really..

4. Origin profile image60
    Originposted 13 years ago

Carry a notepad around with you with a short pen/pencil, sometimes great ideas come to you while your doing something else, therefore you can quickly write them down. Otherwise, if you just try and remember them for when you are home to write them down, you may have forgotten by then.

big_smile

Yeah I have the memory of a fish normally....my mum just bought me a mini recorder thingy that comes with a usb and software...it's handy for my journalism assignments too. But....I might look a bit strange if I start talking into it during lessons lol

5. TheGlassSpider profile image64
    TheGlassSpiderposted 13 years ago

You might want to talk to Shadesbreath about this one. He's published a few already and will be writing a novel this summer - I'm sure he'll have good advice for you smile

Thank you! I will try....I did notice that he has a very nice writing style.

1. TheGlassSpider profile image64
        TheGlassSpiderposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I love his writing. And you're welcome!!

I wish you the best of luck and discipline!! May I recommend taking a look at Stephen King's _On Writing_ for stylistic help...as well as Strunk and White's _Elements of Style_. Both of those are more...about the technical details of good writing, but if you haven't read them, I've found them absolutely necessary to keep around.

Thank you again! I will look into the books you have mentioned. It's easy enough getting a story together...and writing it...but writing it well is something else and good advice is always needed.

6. Awful Poet profile image69
    Awful Poetposted 13 years ago

Tape Recorders
    Are Nice To Have

7. Thorn058 profile image68
    Thorn058posted 13 years ago

Not sure if it fits into the type of story you are writing but might I suggest the works of Naomi Novik. She does a twist on historical fiction where her books are set during the Napoleonic wars but the existence of dragons is there. the dragons take a role of modern aircraft or utilized like ships of the line. They are brilliantly written and show just where you can take a historically accurate story if you step outside the box. Just a suggestion

This is called alternative history....I think. Thanks for the advice.

8. M. T. Dremer profile image84
    M. T. Dremerposted 13 years ago

I have two bits of advice that will hopefully help you keep interest in your story. The first is to not be afraid to jump around with the timeline. The audience will read it in order, but you don't have to write it in order. Write the part that interests you most, otherwise you run the risk of getting bogged down in the lead-up.

The second point of advice is to not be afraid to write crap. First drafts are never good; the important thing to remember is that it has to get written somehow. You can always go back and edit crap, but you can't fix something if it isn't there.

I wrote a hub about writing a novel with more advice like this, but I didn't immediately point you towards it because I didn't want to sound overly promotional. :p Good luck!

This is a good bit of advice. My plot involves 3 timelines that meet up at the end. I will definitely be jumping around.

No harm in being promotional if it is relevant. I will take a look.

Thanks.

9. AdeleCosgroveBray profile image87
    AdeleCosgroveBrayposted 13 years ago

If you set yourself a daily word count and stick to it without fail, you'll find progress runs smoother as this becomes habit.

If you haven't already read Stephen King's "On Writing" then I highly recommend this.  Even if his fiction isn't your personal taste, he's enjoyed an incredibly successful career and obviously knows the business.  This book offers a lot of valuable practical information for all kinds of writers.

I'd also sugest joining a writers group local to you, so you can get helpful feedback on your work as it progresses.

Write your first draft, aiming at 100,000 words.  Don't aim for perfection at this stage, just get the story down.  Set it aside for a few weeks then come back to it with fresh eyes.  The re-writing, editing and polishing is as important, if not much more important, than getting the first draft completed - but you do have to finish the first draft before you cana reach this stage.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)