"Sen. Bennett Ousted at Utah GOP Convention": CBS

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (28 posts)
  1. fishskinfreak2008 profile image59
    fishskinfreak2008posted 13 years ago

Web-site/URL: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/05/ … bsCarousel

Along with CHARLIE CRIST bolting the GOP to become an independent, PERHAPS this is another opportunity for Democrats?

1. Sab Oh profile image56
      Sab Ohposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The Crist comparison doesn't make sense

2. rhamson profile image71
      rhamsonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I hope the electorate finally gets the message that a vote for either a democratic or republican incumbent is a vote to keep the slime on the hill in power.

Their "careers" are to promote themselves and their big money buddies.

Hooray for Utah and may others take the lead.

1. profile image0
        Madame Xposted 13 years agoin reply to this

smile

It's starting . . .

3. tony0724 profile image59
      tony0724posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Democrats don't have a chance this cycle

2. Ron Montgomery profile image61
    Ron Montgomeryposted 13 years ago

It's scary when you realize that even this nutjob was not loony enough for the teamonkeys.

Then again, it IS Utah. lol

3. Doug Hughes profile image59
    Doug Hughesposted 13 years ago

This is symptomatic of the regression of the GOP over the last few years. The GOP was 30% of registered voters only a few years ago - now it polls at 20%. I watched this and waited for the GOP to correct before I recoginzed it is their strategy to purge moderates from their ranks. The 'Big Tent' is turning into a telephone booth.

I am no fan of Bennett. He had a ranking of 84 from the American Conservative Union and was endorsed by Gingrich, Romney and Rove. Bennett was MORE popular with voters than either of his GOP opponnents. You read that right - the candidate MOST popular with voters was rejected by convention delegates for being too liberal. And Bennett was endorsed by Carl Rove who stands further to the right than Ghengas Khan.

As far as I can tell, the big problem for Bennett was that he's willing to talk to democrats without precondition. (That should be a joke, but it's becoming a reality in the Senate.)

The departure of Bennett from the Senate should alarm any moderate, becuse it shows just how polarized the GOP has become. A conservative must now be a lay-down-on-the-tracks obstructionist to survive.

There was a time when a 3rd party was unlikely. Independents are now the biggest 'party' without conventions 42% of registered voters. If we assume these folks are too conservative to be democrats, and too liberal to be accepted by the GOP, they could be a powerful political force in the middle. I wonder if the 'Attilla-the Hun' candidates offered by the teabagger/GOP party in this election will wake up an Independent party that will welcome conservative statesmen like Crist, McCain and Bennett? Then maybe some stuff in Washington could get done.

1. profile image0
      PrettyPantherposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I would welcome a party that offers a rational opposing viewpoint from members that don't demonize the opposition and are willing to work together to get something, anything, done.

There will never be a viable third party

1. Doug Hughes profile image59
          Doug Hughesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Independents are the largest political group of registered voters. I don't think it's wrong to suggest they are mostly moderate, having rejected the GOP and not willing to align with the democrats.  On what basis do you think they won't unite and put up moderate conservatives in rejection of the fascist alternatives of the teabagger/GOP?

You can't frame a question based on silly insults and misrepresentations and expect to be taken seriously by anyone but fellow extremists.

2. profile image57
      foreignpressposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This is more symptomatic of a supposed conservative who has gone overboard on liberal agendas. The illegal immigrant population has doubled, with Bennett instrumental in making Utah a sanctuary state.  Bennett also sided too strongly with liberal Democrats on too many issues -- including the bailout of irresponsible corporations. Bennett picked his side and lost. Republican, Democrat, or Tea Party mean nothing anymore. It's whether the politician embraces traditional values or an undefined futuristic utopia.

4. Ralph Deeds profile image65
    Ralph Deedsposted 13 years ago

Bennett was a decent Republican senator. The Tea Party is destroying the Republican Party, and has the potential of destroying the country.

1. profile image57
      foreignpressposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The Tea Party is shaking up the Republican Party -- not destroying it. That's why the TP has garnered serious support from conservative America and is feared by Democrats. Consider this a back to basics movement. We've lost sight of our core values in this country. And it's those values that propelled America to the greatest nation this world has ever seen -- and in a very short period of time. Obama promised change. This is change nobody expected but which is sorely needed.

The GOP was 30% of registered voters just a few years ago. Now it's 20% of registered voters - the most rabid conservative wing of the GOP (now frequently under the TP banner) have driven out moderates. Those GOP incumbents who might seek compromise don't dare do anything constructive with democrats. The only way for a GOP candidate to get re-elected is with a 'lay-down-on-the-tracks" prevent-all-progress attitude.

And voters can't figure out the source of gridlock. And hubbers don't understand my disgust with teabaggers. Ralph is right - this movement has the potential to tear this country apart.

...more hysteria and silly name-calling... roll

2. Ralph Deeds profile image65
        Ralph Deedsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It's feared by Democrats AND many Republicans. Obama is doing his best to bring about change, but the Party of NO! is blocking his programs.

5. Pandoras Box profile image60
    Pandoras Boxposted 13 years ago

Doug why don't you write on politics? I think you'd be quite good at it.

I have written several political hubs. Not many want to read them. A few who have liked them aren't learning a lot that's new. Their minds were already open and I only added a bit of confirmation.

So I do battle on the forums not to benefit those with closed minds, but to expose a moderate, uninformed voter what is happeining in the world.  A few will wonder out to my hubs, but a lot more will start to doubt the propaganda when they are exposed to facts.

Such is my hope.

1. earnestshub profile image81
        earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I get a fair bit of my American news offshore so to speak, and having a keen interest in world politics.

Generally what you say is what I hear from sources such as the ABC in Australia and BBC from Britain.
        The BBC reports are often followed by a dissection from several opposing views as you would know, and are quite informative on their own. Nothing works better than letting people have their say, to show who they are and let you decide. The BBC are very good at this as are a few others.

I see a confirmation of truth and sanity in your posts. smile

6. lovemychris profile image77
    lovemychrisposted 13 years ago

If they'd turn off Fox and talk radio, they could come back to their senses.

These mediums have warped thinking out of all proportion.

7. lovemychris profile image77

Of course they do!~ What's the alternative? Raving Lunatics! And more of the last Republican go-round: Years of businessdom and greed.POP...Profits Over People.

You think the baggers are any different? What are they willing to give up for the good of the country? Nothing that affects them. That's for sure.

8. profile image0
    Ghost32posted 13 years ago

LoveMyChris, the few Tea Party members I've met--which took place at the John McCain / Sarah Palin rally in Tucson on March 26--would appear to bely your conclusion.  Just one example: A couple around 60 years of age who live in Montana's highline country.  The husband had taken an unpaid leave of absence from his place of employment so he and his wife could be part of every Tea Party Express rally between February and the November elections.  They were being reimbursed by no one, obviously had enough in savings to dare commit so deeply, but were paying their own way 100%.

I'd say that's giving up quite a lot in time, energy, and hard assets.

1. lovemychris profile image77
      lovemychrisposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's not giving up for the good of the country...if they have enough money that they can take off of work, what is that doing for the country?

What would prove to me, is if these seniors who have already exhausted their SS benefit input...4 years, would then stop taking SS checks.
      And if some wealthy seniors would stop taking the free medicare/medicaide.

That would put their money where their mouth is.

Biggest spending? Military and SS.....do they talk about that?
      Nooooo, they don't!
      It's poor people who are the problem.......always.

9. MikeNV profile image67
    MikeNVposted 13 years ago

Bennett was ousted because he didn't do what the people in the Republican party in Utah wanted him to do.  When you oppose the view of the people who elect you to represent them then you deserve to go.  Doesn't matter if you are Republican or Democrat.  It's about time that the people start getting rid of Politicians that get elected on promises then do what they want in spite of the people.

Bennett was ousted at the convention by the delegates, not in a primary election. According to one poll, Bennett was MORE popular than either of the candidates running against him - but the convention represented mostly teabaggers - not the GOP voters.

This is true of the GOP at large - it represents the views of the extreme right - not mainstream conservatives who are finding themsleves without moderate options.

" According to one poll, Bennett was MORE popular than either of the candidates running against him "

Which poll? More popular among whom?

And do you think you could manage to grow up enough to stop with the silly childish names? It's ridiculous.

10. lovemychris profile image77

It's not a silly name...it's the name they gave themselves.

Too late to cry about it now.
    Their haha funny insult to dems backfired on them.

They wanted to tea-bag liberals, by calling themselves the tea-baggers?
    Now they can live with the name.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)