If I remove an article do I still receive its earnings?

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (15 posts)
  1. Ladymermaid profile image85
    Ladymermaidposted 9 years ago

If I remove an article do I still receive its earnings so long as I do not close my account? Just wondering as I am still in the process of reshuffling articles throughout my accounts.

In moving over to Hubpages from Squidoo there are a few of us who wound up with multiple accounts. I am still trying to decide which profiles to retain but don't want to lose already earned income in the process.

1. Millionaire Tips profile image91
      Millionaire Tipsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes and no.  Yes, you still get to keep whatever earnings you have earned.  However, since there is a $50 minimum to get a payout, you will have to keep some earning hubs in the account to help you reach that minimum.

2. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

The earnings to date won't disappear, but as MT says, watch out for that threshold.

I'm sure you're aware of the big downside of moving articles - the fact that you'll lose the redirect from Squidoo, which could be a major blow to older lenses and lose them significant traffic. 

Many people run several accounts on HubPages.

1. KathyMcGraw2 profile image68
        KathyMcGraw2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

But on the other hand, it might be a good thing NOT to have that redirect.  There are so many dodgy sites that have stolen content from Squidoo, and HP that it might be quite worthwhile to move them!

1. Marisa Wright profile image85

I'm not sure I follow?   

If a Lens was getting good traffic on Squidoo then it wasn't suffering from any perceived "bad associations", so a 301 redirect wouldn't change that.

1. neosurk profile image87
            neosurkposted 9 years agoin reply to this

The sole reason I decided to go with the transfer instead of manually transferring was the 301 redirect. It was good for about a week, but the traffic then tanked. Yes, we can blame Panda for that and it still hasn't recovered to the Squidoo days.

I have transferred several hubs from this account and opened multiple accounts to make the topic same/similar within a single niche. And because of that, I don't worry about the 301 redirects. You will surely lose traffic from Pinterest/Facebook/Twitter shares but as far as my experience is concerned, search engine traffic does not matter and your hubs will show up eventually at the same spot.

2. KathyMcGraw2 profile image68

Today I went and checked on a post of mine that had done very well with traffic before, so the 301 redirect was most welcome.  The post is 99.99% text, not promotional or salesy, however what I found made me unfeature my own post.  I found the post on a dodgy site that when I clicked to see why my post was listed there brought a pop-up window with some "game" playing.

Do I want my post to have that 301?  Do I want anyone of the links that are out there like the one I found?  No!  Too many scammers and out and out crooks had a field day with S, and now with HP that it's not worth it to me.  That is my point.

That has nothing to do with your 301 redirect.  That's someone who has stolen your article and posted it on their site.  There is no redirect involved in that.

1. KathyMcGraw2 profile image68

Marisa...

I do know that it has nothing to do with the 301 technically.  However, my point is now that it's been compromised, that 301 means nothing to me.  That's my point. 

I would prefer to just unfeature my own work and let the thieves get bad links to the stuff.  After having deleted close to 150 articles before moving over here to HP I am not adverse to unfeaturing the ones I kept and moving them somewhere else.  THAT will be of more benefit to me than the 301.  The people (from traffic) that wanted that info before will surely find it again.  I am a firm believer in we find what we need when we need it smile

If the article has been copied or used in some way by others, then the 301 redirect is MORE important, not less. 

The 301 redirect tells Google that your article on HubPages was published originally on Squidoo, long before this thief decided to copy it.

Move that article somewhere else (e.g. your own blog), Google doesn't have a trail to follow any more.  Google will think you've copied the article FROM the thief, because your publish date is more recent.  Therefore you're ensuring the thief's version of the article gets priority in the search engine results.

1. justholidays profile image68
                    justholidaysposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That is one of the biggest problems with huge platforms like that. They are targets for thieves. Even on Squidoo we often had our posts stolen that way. But HubPages seems to be the winner.

Since Google nowadays wants fresh content, it's often that they rank those stolen articles higher than the original ones. There are times we spend more times filling DMCAs than actually working. What a waste of time.

2. profile image0
    Lorelei Cohenposted 9 years ago

Thank you Millionaire Tips that does help. It would have been easier if my incoming articles had been able to fall into my existing account rather than being distributed onto new ones. I am thinking it will be a slow process of reshuffling to eliminate one of the accounts but even that should help the organization a bit.  I am finding things pretty confusing at the moment.

3. justholidays profile image68
    justholidaysposted 9 years ago

One related question - although not so closely related as you'd wish.

What if... one opts out from the HP ad program? What happens to the threshold? Can we cash out before the $50?

Also, as most former Squids here, I saw my traffic plummet even more two or three weeks after the transfer. These pages, once transfered elsewhere and reworked (most were "stolen" and it seems impossible to have Google derank those undelicate sites), they might get a portion of their usual traffic back.

Personally I don't believe in long term life for gigantic platforms like HP or the late Squidoo.

Not really ready to lose the money I already earned but not ready to wait another 12 months, losing traffic and money on pages that were highly popular on the old site and might be once again popular else where.

If only we could merge our older accounts on here with those former Squidoo accounts, keeping only good informational articles live and remove all others that can be relocated on our own sites where rules are less strict. I have lots of Hubs on my old account that don't need many Amazon or eBay capsules, they are mainly published for information purpose... The very few I'd leave on this account could be merged with the other and keep earning a few pennies here.

No, if you don't reach the threshold you won't get paid out. 

As for your other comment, you can delete and relocate Hubs as you choose.   Whether it's worth rearranging your remaining Hubs is debatable.

However there is a simple solution.   To make money on HubPages, there is absolutely NO need to be on the forums, comment or read other people's Hubs. That was proved recently by LiveWithRichard, who started another account and didn't use it socially on HubPages AT ALL - no reading, no commenting, no forum posting.  That account is doing better than his old one.

So you can simply disable comments, walk away from HubPages and don't even think about the work you've left here. It will go on earning, albeit slowly.   One day you'll get an email that you've been paid by the HubPages Earnings Program, then you can go and close that account down, and ditto for the others.

1. justholidays profile image68
        justholidaysposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That is what I thought.

However, leaving articles that each used to generate more than 40,000 visitors where they don't get more than 10 isn't what I'd love either. At this rate, I'm not close to cashout sad

This being said, I'm not social on here, absolutely not. Not with this account.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)