What is your favorite tropical fish?

Jump to Last Post 1-26 of 26 discussions (86 posts)
  1. GeneralHowitzer profile image68
    GeneralHowitzerposted 14 years ago

For me I pick Neon Tetra, the small fish that swims in group that's found in the Amazon Jungle what it takes to be favored fish ever. With its blue and red color its makes it as hobbyists well liked fish. Plus neons are relatively very cheap...

2. Drew Breezzy profile image62
    Drew Breezzyposted 14 years ago

Mollies they give live birth instead of laying eggs, so it is cool to have a fish who has babies swimming around. But remember to seperate them from the other fish so they don't get eaten. I like Angel fish too they look pretty but they can be temperamental and attack other fish.

GeneralHowitzerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yeah mollies are livebearers just like those superb looking guppies, and the platys. Its nice to have an aquarium with lots of little fishes hehehe, having fishes give birth is one of the best thing fish hobbyists are up to. Mollies are hardy, friendly and cheap too hehehe and perhaps one of the most kept fish in pet owner's tanks. Yeah angelfishes (which belong to cichlids)is also a very good pick since they are like a gliding plane inside your aquariums but bite other fishes' tails nyahahaha specially the goldfishes.

3. Late2class profile image61
    Late2classposted 14 years ago

Ha, I have had all of those fish, with not so great results.

Mollies are great for the babies, that is very true.  Keeping the babies from being eaten is a whole new can of worms though.

Neon tetras are a lot of fun.  I unfortunately had a huge angel fish in the tank at the time though, and they were a tasty little snack.

Said angel fish from above, was a great fish.  I had it for well over 6 years through at least 4 tank moves.  For a time, it was in a tall hexagonal tank that was about 1 foot from my painted turtles tank.  The two of them were "friends."  Watching each other and swimming side by side, quite frequently.

My favorite fish, although the angel fish was great, I really like the paisley and black and white tetras.  They eat so fiercely and the way they school together is fun to watch.

Unfortunately, I don't have a tropical tank set up right now.  Just the turtle tank.  So the only fish in my home are the lucky goldfish, rosy red minnows and baby bluegill, bass and crappie caught in the minnow trap from my mom's lake.  And they are only lucky for a bit, they rarely last more than a few months.

Wow you have a very big angelfish and I haven't seen as big as that yet. I love all kinds of tetras and neon ones are my favorites, I haven't seen a paisley before but i'll check in the internet. I love fishes that school together hehehe as they stick well together, some of them even glows , and are colorful.

Hehehe your present tank seemed very interesting to me, with edible fish on it too you might gobble one of 'em when you're hungry just kidding aside.

Your pets are lucky to have a stunner pet owner in you thanks for posting.

4. mhajnal profile image66
    mhajnalposted 14 years ago

Ancistrus spp. because I love weird creatures, and because they come in so many shapes and colors. For most people, they are really mysterious. Some love them, some find them ugly... in one word, they're WEIRD.

smile They're really weird but have a good role to play in any aquariums they patrol your tanks for the scraps and leftovers nyahahaha, we call them here in the Philippines janitor fish. Still beauty is in the eyes of the beholder and I think you have a good pick though. Thanks for posting.

5. GeneralHowitzer profile image68
  6. profile image0
    L. Andrew Marrposted 14 years ago

Any kind that you eat =]

Like shark, sharks are eaten here. smile Still thanks for posting.

2. gurgel1 profile image59
      gurgel1posted 14 years agoin reply to this

me to

Another case of a sashimi and sushi lover nyahahaha you could've post at the food forums nyahahahaha... smile

Thanks for posting wakikik... Good day...

7. Eaglekiwi profile image75
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

Those kissing ones
    Kissing guramis?? smile

8. GeneralHowitzer profile image68

Thanks for posting:)

1. Eaglekiwi profile image75
      Eaglekiwiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yesss those ones , I also wanted an aquarium wall tween the kitchen and living room filled with tropical fish (one day) but not to eat them lol...they are relaxing an pretty specially when lit up

Hehehe that would be a blast if that plan happens. Fish Therapy at its best goodluck. Nice meeting you.

Great!!!

http://www.aquariumshine.com/images/stf/reef/comp30.jpg

Nice meeting you too.

GeneralHowitzer wrote:

Wow this is the real aquarium...
            Grrrr this is one of a kind and breathtaking too...
            You made me so weak with this awesome pic though, because I cant afford an aquarium like that for now.

Oh me either , but dreams are free my friend smile

But dreams do come true sometimes... Hehehe pathetic optimistic me nyahahaha.

No never pathetic to dream

To Dream is To live smile

Yeah, your right, and  thanks a lot. Your such a conversant, warm and amiable kiwi right there, your giving me very good impression about New Zealand and her people.

9. Pearldiver profile image66
    Pearldiverposted 14 years ago

Discus and Oscars

Wow you have a nice picks there ha. Discus which is also a cichlid is a very goodlooking fish, serious hobbyists love them much because of their colorful features and are graceful swimmers, many breeds them.

Oscars (tiger, red, albino, hybrids) are really awesome fishes as well. They are very intelligent and nice to see them attacking smaller fishes as well. They look timid but dont get fooled they are capable of dishing out a very swift and fatal attack.

Your picks are also my favorites... Thanks for posting:)

10. Pearldiver profile image66

You could do what they do in Balclutha when they want those sorts of wall aquariums.

They get that special tropical fish wall paper!! big_smile

lol lol

ya nut

2. GeneralHowitzer profile image68

That was funny nyahahaha, no hassle in keeping a fish tank, no aquarium paraphernalias, no feeds, no vitamins and medicines, nyahahaha just pure still picture.

But still, more than meets the eye is better...

11. Pearldiver profile image66

I used to dream of those lucky people in Balclutha... Until I saw the wall aquariums they have in Hokitika!!!

They don't bother with the wallpaper... they just glue the fish on the wall... big_smile

My stomach aches while laughing here nyahahaha whats that, a fish trophy, i wonder why they do that...

12. Pearldiver profile image66

They are Kiwis...... And they are quite strange on the West Coast of the South Island of New Zealand.... big_smile

Stop it lol see what happens when ladies laugh too much

aquarium must be leaking

hey check out the kissy kissy fish ,but wheres the bluecod??

http://room538ccpp.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/tropical_fish.jpg

Now I'm getting a feeling and another impression about Kiwis nyahahaha they are strange and do strange things too ha, wakikik, is this true Kiwi my princess of the strange land called Hokitika nyahahahahahaha...

Your so funny there ha pearldiver, i smell something fishy now hahahahaha...

well dont look at me!

1. Pearldiver profile image66
          Pearldiverposted 14 years agoin reply to this

big_smile big_smile big_smile

well dont look at me!

GeneralHowitzer wrote:

I wont nyahahaha...

I saw those kissing gouramis nyahahah but i cant see the blue cod. Oh that was a nice pic, i guess these picture is printed and glued in your wall as well ha kiwi:)

1. Pearldiver profile image66
            Pearldiverposted 14 years agoin reply to this

THIS IS a Blue Cod... They taste great and come from NZ.. Nope I don't glue things to my walls... we are not allowed to do that in Bumble Town - NZ. smile

Wow mouthwatering treat hahahaha, but kiwi no longer surfaces nyahahaha she's probably playing hide and seek for now wakikik.

wow i never thought that since i dont know what a blue cod looks like in the first place hehehehe....

there you are the kissing gourami finally showed up and gave a tasty reply. smile

It was nice meeting the two of you thanks for the goodtime. I was laughing and my stomach aches earlier. Thanks again...

13. Pearldiver profile image66

You Called?

heyyyyy....hop into my pan smile said the gingerbread man  lol

bread n butter were good to go!

14. Eaglekiwi profile image75
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

you are nice person

bluecod look like a dopey kinda fish , but taste ohhhh, delcious!!!!just melts in your mouth smile delicate an flavorful !!

Pearld avatar is a Bluecod smile

15. Beth100 profile image69
    Beth100posted 14 years ago

Oscars and convicts (the fish type, that is.... big_smile)

Nyahahaha oscars are a real treat they are smart and tends to be hungry all the time. i tried convicts before and they tend to make troubles in the fish tank. Thanks for posting smile

16. livelonger profile image85
    livelongerposted 14 years ago

I've love the lowly guppy (for their color and constant movement) and gold barbs (SO durable! nothing kills them). I also like tetras (neon especially) and various danios, although they tend to be a little on the aggressive side in the top section of the tank.

We share same passion with the choice of fishes to keep, I love groupers as well as the smaller ones.

The guppies are indeed one of the most beautiful fish in the planet always moving and keeps on strutting their wares. They're like a rainbow in the fish tank and a fireworks at display all the time. They're many types of them but I love the veil-tailed most. These fishes is indeed one of the favorites of hobbyists because they are easy to keep and easy to breed.

Barbs is really a good choice but sometimes they can be too playful as they chips on the tail of the other fishes in the tanks, but still I love sumatra barb and aurelios.

I love tetras too neons, cardinals, rasbora, lemon all of em. Yeah danios are cocky and tends to be territorial on top of the tank. Leopard and zebra types are also one of my favorites. smile

Thanks for posting.

1. livelonger profile image85
        livelongerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Gold barbs are a bit different, and if I'm not mistaken, are not really "barbs" like tiger barbs and others aggressive barb variants. They're actually very shy, tend to stay towards the bottom of the tank, and are incredibly gentle.

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/stats/photos/Gold_Barb_Puntius_semifasciolatus.jpg

BTW great description of the guppies' florid visual character. I think they're really cute! Seeing them drop fry is an amazing experience, too. But, in my experience, they're so delicate. Gold barbs are really tough fish in comparison.

http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/vv298/BASphoto/P1110591_Gold_Barbs.jpg

You're probably talking about this, i tried having this kind of fish and they are indeed durable and tame not like the other barbs. If you'll try to look at his fins and tails, it has similarities with barbs.

Now lets take a look at what the wikipedia says:
          The Green Barb or Chinese Barb (Puntius semifasciolatus) is a subtropical freshwater fish belonging to the minnow family (Cyprinidae). Its native habitat is the Red River basin in southeast China. This species was originally named Barbus semifasciolatus, and is also referred to as Capoeta semifasciolata, Barbus fasciolatus, and Puntius semifasciolate. The popular gold strain P. semifasciolatus var. schuberti (Gold Barb or Schuberti barb) was developed by hobbyist Thomas Shubert of Camden, New Jersey in the 1960s through selective breeding. For many years it was thought to be a distinct species but is in fact a selected sport of the indigenous (green) species which is rarely found in aquaria.

The gold barb is a medium-long barb. Adults have highly arched backs and a short pair of barbels on the upper jaw at the corners of the mouth. The back is light to reddish brown, the sides are metallic green or yellow-green, with a brassy or golden sheen below. The belly is whitish, turning orange-red in males at mating time. Females can be distinguished by their dull colors and their overall bulk. The average size of adults is 2.75 to 3 inches (7 - 8 centimeters).

In the wild, they inhabit running water with a pH range of 6.0 - 8.0, a water hardness of 5.0 - 19.0 dGH, a depth range of 0 - 5 metres and a temperature range of 64 - 75 °F (18 - 24 °C). Their diet consists of worms, insects, and plant matter.

This fish is commercially important in the aquarium hobby industry.

An egg-scatter, adult barbs will spawn around a hundred eggs. This breeding occurs at the first light in the early morning.

About Tiger Barbs:
          he tiger barb (Puntius tetrazona) or sumatra barb, is a species of tropical freshwater fish belonging to the Puntius genus of the minnow family. The natural geographic range reportedly extends throughout the Malay peninsula, Sumatra and Borneo, with unsubstantiated sightings reported in Cambodia. Tiger barbs are also found in many other parts of Asia, and with little reliable collection data over long periods of time, definite conclusions about their natural geographic range versus established introductions are difficult.

My conclusion the gold barbs and the other barbs are cousins... because they belong to the same family of fish specie.

Thanks for posting livelonger smile

17. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Tuna. Especially raw smile

Mouthwatering tuna nyahaha...

You're probably talking about sashimi and sushi, you make me real angry... ah hungry nyahahaha. Good day Misha. smile

18. blondepoet profile image67
    blondepoetposted 14 years ago

Piranhas
    http://www.impactlab.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/piranhas-teeth.jpg

1. earnestshub profile image79
      earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yikes BP!!!! one very scary lookin piscatorial type guy!

1. blondepoet profile image67
        blondepoetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

ROFL earnest smile smile

What's ROFL, guys what does this mean?

It means Roll On Floor Laughing GenH!

Nyahahaha I never knew I was such an ignorant, im on a rofl right now, nyahahaha... Thanks for the reply smile

No more than me GenH. I learnt it from BP! he he...

Neons is the number 1 fish in my lists of favorites hehehehe. They are scared when there are bigger fishes around them because they might be eaten especially by those carnivorous type. Best when there are 4 to 10 of em in the tank, you might add more depending on the size of your tank. They tend to group together and they are nice sight to see hehehe, because the theme of the game they play is follow the leader. Like their natural habitat they love dark places, they are eggscatterer and loves rainwater when it is available. Feed your fish once a day and make sure they consume all the food you feed them, clean leftovers always. Scraps will definitely turned into pollution that will be the cause of diseases in the tank and eventually wll be the source of death of your fishes... smile BP is indeed a stunner and as brilliant as you hehehehe.

Thanks for your kindness GenH your generosity is noted thank you!

2. Raven King profile image60
            Raven Kingposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ugly sucker

A clown loach?

nyahahaha that's not the meaning of rofl wakikik... smile

Hehehe nice pick there, but keeping piranhas is prohibited in most countries... Nyahahaha piranhas would definitely bite, and it bite real hard and painful, it would be an excruciating pain if one is bitten though lol smile

19. earnestshub profile image79
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

Hey BP thought i'd transplant a limerick for the occasion...

BlondePoet has shown me a fish,
    who would like to have me on it's dish
    Have him for a pet?
    not for a bet!
    unless I have a death wish.

Wow finally I chanced upon a substantial poet... nyahahaha and writes well thanks for posting earnesthub... smile

2. blondepoet profile image67
      blondepoetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh I love it.

I love what you've replied BP, but on the second thought Hubpages and me will surely miss ernest when he have had the death wish already, nyahahahaha!!!

20. profile image0
    fierycjposted 14 years ago

I like the one with the sword type thingy on its mouth. Gawd, I wish I had a sword on my mouth. I could slay all my damn enemies. But I got flames on my mouth, though. I make do with that pretty damn good.

There's swordtails(a type of a platy) and firemouth (a type of a cichlid). Yeah you do it damn good...

I still remember you posted hehehe Lucas of Starwars in one of my forum topic hehehehe.

smile Anyways, thanks for posting...

1. profile image0
        fierycjposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Lucas is a genius. No kidding.

Yeah I know he is more than a genius... smile

21. earnestshub profile image79
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

I would enjoy having a shark
    the size of old Noah's ark
    we could play hide and seek
    and I wouldn't peek
    I could still find his teeth in the dark.

Hehehehe

Sharks (the baby ones) are unfortunately kept in aquariums here in our country and even in other part of the world. I hope the shark will not find you though, else you'll get bitten, wakikik. smile Thanks for the posts guys, although the three of you have a bit of bizarre picks, still, I love all of your sense of humor and substantial writing finesse (BP, fierycj and ernest)... Take care.smile

Thanks GenH, you do the same eh?

22. Dale Nelson profile image38
    Dale Nelsonposted 14 years ago

I would have to say a triggerfish aka parrot fish.The variety of different colors is astounding.Interestingly the juveniles are different colors to the adults and show up amazing under ultraviolet lighting. Salt water aquariums are definitely an art and I take my hat off to anyone who maintains a tropical tank.

Hehehe im tipping my hat to all fish hobbyists as well, whether they are saltwater or tropical enthusiasts, I havent tried parrot fish before though, but they are indeed colorful and very interesting fish.

Here's a little fact about this gentle fish:
      It's hard to decide which of the colorful parrot fish's many unique characteristics is most remarkable.

There’s its diet, which consists primarily of algae extracted from chunks of coral ripped from a reef. The coral is pulverized with grinding teeth in the fishes’ throats in order to get to the algae-filled polyps inside. Much of the sand in the parrot fish's range is actually the ground-up, undigested coral they excrete.

There's its gender, which they can change repeatedly throughout their lives, and their coloration and patterns, which are a classification nightmare, varying greatly, even between the males, females, and juveniles of the same species.-National  Geographic. Thanks for posting... smile

Wow you guys know a lot about pet fish, I will need to learn from someone, one of my gkids just got a fish tank and a little fish for it. I think it is a neon. Thanks for the informative read.

23. profile image0
    \Brenda Scullyposted 14 years ago

I like the same kind of fish as fiery cos we always agree on everything...

fierycj's clone... thats good... thanks for posting smile

24. milynch43 profile image60
    milynch43posted 14 years ago

The Characins ( Tetras) They’re a schooling fish and generally peaceful. I like to add 20  - 30 of a few different types to a tank and watch them. Cory’s are good too in groups. They handle clean up and don’t bother the other fish.

Superb combination, tetras and the corydoras... Wow that would be a total blast...

Both types are generally peaceful, colorful and are nice to look at especially when you feed them hehehe. Thanks for posting. Comeback anytime.

smile

25. Bard of Ely profile image79
    Bard of Elyposted 14 years ago

Spiny Eel! Because they can be tamed and got to come up and take worms out of your fingers and then go back down under the gravel again.

You'll need not a nail cutter with this pet nyahahaha and this pet seem very peaceful too. Hmm pretty interesting fish but I haven't seen one yet. Thanks for the info Bard and for posting too... smile

26. Raven King profile image60
    Raven Kingposted 14 years ago

Clown

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)