Is it wrong to flirt if you are married?

Jump to Last Post 1-23 of 23 discussions (78 posts)
  1. Davinagirl3 profile image59
    Davinagirl3posted 14 years ago

I am a flirt, and so is my husband.  I like the fact that women find my husband sexy.  I think he feels the same way.  As long as it doesn't go too far.  What are your feelings on this subject?

1. Misha profile image63
      Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

We have open relationships. As long as it is known and does not interfere with family duties much, any side is free to flirt/date/fuck at their will smile

Davinagirl3posted 14 years agoin reply to this

That requires a lot of confidence in yourself and your relationship.  I respect that.  If it works for you, I say do it.

2. Eaglekiwi profile image74
        Eaglekiwiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It was Misha response that drew me to comment in particular the last line, MM smile

Flirting can be harmless and can be sexually misleading.
        And Ive learned slightly different in other countries ,just a teeny bit.

I said the new neighbour was really cute ,an hubby was mad!!, but for me that means cute like 'childlike' so Im choosin my words better now. lol

2. TrinaLynne profile image71
      TrinaLynneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

As long as it doesn't go too far and both parties are comfortable with it, I personally don't find anything wrong with it. If a couple can do that, more power to them. But its only my opinion

2. AsherKade profile image59
    AsherKadeposted 14 years ago

I think it's wrong....
    http://tbn1.google.com/images?q=tbn:PjKNIQimNKqOHM:http://www.loveiscomplicated.info/Cheating%2520Spouse%2520-%2520001.JPG

3. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Oh, yeah, it does. Also it did require a pretty painful transition period. But now we have trust - real one, and it is worth every moment of the previous pain smile

1. lrohner profile image66
      lrohnerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh, Misha, I would definitely imagine that the "transition period" was much more painful for her than for you. And I would also imagine that she doesn't want to be in the relationship anymore, but is there for the sake of the family. So sad....

1. Misha profile image63

Assumptions are a very dangerous thing, you know smile

Prove me wrong.

1. Misha profile image63

Umm, how could I? Do you want my wife's phone number?

Monogamy in a marriage is just a pre-set standard that most people assume is normal. Marriage, itself, is somewhat antiquated, so why not change the rules to suit the person.  In the beginning, men didn't want their women having sex with other men because they wanted to be sure of the blood line of their children... as if they could really know back then.  Men were expected to have mistresses and the wives accepted it.  Now, if a man wants to have women, on the side, his wife should be awarded the same luxury.  I could never do it, because to me, "playing the field is like working the fields".

Davina, I agree to an extent. If it's just hubby and wife, whatever rocks their socks is fine by me. But Misha mentioned 'family' which usually means 'children' and I take a lot of interest in that.

Misha - I really, seriously do not want your wife's phone number. But a straight answer would be appreciated.

My child is not involved in my husband's and my sex life, so why should extra marital affairs affect Misha's children.  Discretion is the key. I am sure it is not as sordid as one might assume.  It is probably very civilized... or at least I hope.

Davina, the bad side to wisdom is that it generally comes with old age and experience.

2. Inspirepub profile image72
                  Inspirepubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have met Misha's wife and kids, and I can ASSURE you that is one seriously happy family.

Jenny

2. onthewriteside profile image60
            onthewritesideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No really....Misha's telling the truth!  My g/f and I were with his wife last night...  lol

1. Misha profile image63

LOL I am afraid you are mistaken, I know where she was last night smile

1. onthewriteside profile image60
                onthewritesideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm just razzin ya my friend!  hehehe!

4. Kelly Contrary profile image60
    Kelly Contraryposted 14 years ago

I think flirting is wrong, so very wrong.  Nothing good can come of it.  If you respect your marriage, you won't disrespect your spouse by flirting with someone else.

Ok, now that the wife went upstairs, flirting is fine as long as the chick is hot and I won't get caught.  Now, if my wife flirts with some guy that is so hot we think he's gay, that's a no-no. Unless he really is gay, then that's fine.  It's not so much a double-standard but my standard.

1. Kelly Contrary profile image60
      Kelly Contraryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You guys, this was taking a far too serious turn and I tried to steer it in a fun way.  I am only one man.  I don't have an iron will.  From the fridge, I hear the cheese dip whispering sweet nothings. Nothing like eating late at night to pack on a few pounds.

...so you're gonna go flirt with cheese dip?

2. lrohner profile image66

Kelly, you are DA BOMB! Everything you write brings a smile to my face, and (as Martha Stewart would say), that's a good thing.

3. beautyrose profile image61
      beautyroseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you.  Because how about if flirting develops into something more.  oohh  O then a new problem arise.

5. Eaglekiwi profile image74
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

If open means what I understand it to mean.

Why be married?

Unfortunately, Kiwi, it usally means "I have children".

1. Eaglekiwi profile image74

Like friends with benefits?
        Nah not for me
        I share everything, cept that smile lol

2. Misha profile image63

I don't know what you meant, but we married because I could not legally stay in US otherwise after leaving a 9-5 job in international organization, our first kid turned one year by that time smile

Misha: Still so sad. I still luv ya, but a child should be a product of love -- not legalities.

1. Eaglekiwi profile image74

Hey its your life, and I guess ya do what ya gotta do smile

I could do with a shot of wisdom myself there Irohner,you some to spare lol

I just wanted to add though ,that it is flattering when someone has flirted with me....I know thats contrary ,but sure felt good!

2. Misha profile image63

Umm, not sure I understood you? I never said our kids are a product of legalities. They both were wished for and were conceived in love, and are loved. Don't see what this has to do with marriage or open relationships.

6. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

LOL Lrohner, the straight answer is what I said already - it makes both of us happier, because we KNOW we are the one, not just HOPE so. We have an experience of "affairs" not affecting our relations to prove it. smile

I think you have a point in that it was harder for my wife to adjust to this - but she gets a higher reward though: I did not have an "affair" for the last several years, while she had at least two during the same period smile

7. Kelly Contrary profile image60
    Kelly Contraryposted 14 years ago

You know, cheese dip in the middle of the night is a wonderful thing.  Yes, I am having an open affair with cheese dip.  We've been having an on again/off again romance for years.  People can come and go, be faithful and unfaithful, shamelessly chase fashion trends and fall just slightly behind the curve, but cheese dip, my friends, has never let me down once.  Except for that time when I didn't realize the expiration date had lapsed before I finished it all.  Man, I felt so bad, I thought my wife had an affair.

Ok, someone was really irked with somebody else a few minutes ago, and the conversation was deep.  Go on.

Cheese dip? You're having an affair with cheese dip? I so do luv ya, Kelly.

2. White Teeth profile image60
      White Teethposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Cheese dip in the middle of the night makes my ass look big...

8. lrohner profile image66
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

BTW, Davina, I think you are one of the coolest people on HP. So please don't take what I say in the wrong way.

1. White Teeth profile image60
      White Teethposted 14 years agoin reply to this

A little off-topic, but I wanted to mention that Davinagirl3 and girly_girl09's pictures totally rock. That is all.

9. andromida profile image56
    andromidaposted 14 years ago

If you wanna flirt then why to marry.keep flirting without any commitment.

10. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 14 years ago

Is the topic flirting or extramarital affairs? Or are we saying there is no distinction?
    Anyone who claims never to use their feminine or masculine charms when interacting in the world with people other than one's spouse or SO is (IMHO) deluding themself. Flirting makes the world go round. It does not have to lead to anything -- it truly can be harmless male/female (or male/male or female/female) interaction.
    A heck of a lot of flirting goes on here at HP without (as far as I know) it leading to adultery! And, as Martha Stewart says, "that's a gppd thing."

1. Ivorwen profile image65
      Ivorwenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I would have to agree. 

My husbands whole personality is much more flirtatious than mine.  Compared to him, I never flirt, even now, but he thinks he is just being nice.  I have learned how not to come across as something broken off of a glacier, and it means flirting.  For me, flirting is not so much about sex/getting noticed, as it is about making the other person feel accepted/appreciated.

I agree also.  I flirted at work, harmlessly, and I know my husband flirts at his work.  I flirt mercilessly here on HP, and that is where I got the idea for this thread.  The topic of adultery somehow evolved... as things do... from the original topic.

I am most likely the culprit, Davina, sorry. But if not me, then it's MISHA'S fault!  hee hee hee

2. lrohner profile image66

That's an interesting standpoint, Ivorwen. However, kind of makes me feel like "hubby is gonna do what he's gonna do and I'll be a good girl and take it". I have no problem with 'flirting' per se, but more often than not, it's a misnomer for 'cheating'. I agree with girly girl. It's gonna have a bad impact on the family.

1. Ivorwen profile image65
          Ivorwenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think you are taking it wrong, but then again, maybe we are talking two totally different subjects.  Maybe what I call flirting is not what you are thinking of. 

I do not have alot of dating experience, and I have no patience for those looking for sex, but I do know that some forms of flirting are very innocent.  They are what make up friendly relationships and positive work environments.  My husbands ability to make each person feel 'liked' has always made him a favorite everywhere he has ever gone, with everyone -- everyone but the jocks who think their relationships might be in danger.  smile

11. profile image0
    girly_girl09posted 14 years ago

I have no problems with married people flirting. Everyone flirts! It's completely normal. As long as it doesn't hurt your SO, then I see no issue. Be warned, that it could lead to other things, though.

I would like to jump in and provide my insight about affairs. I never talk about this with anyone, but I do not mind sharing on an anonymous internet forum....lol (funny how that is)

Extra marital affairs definitely affect children. I promise you that. Unfortunately, I know all too well. They affect the entire family, immediate and otherwise. I rarely speak to my father and have nothing to do with him anymore. Enough was enough.

Now, I'm not sure what it'd be like to have parents with open relationships. Misha, that's very modern and I have no experience with it...so I have no opinion on that! smile

But, I can tell you that one parent having traditional multiple affairs and a mother pretending to ignore it is very difficult to live with. I eventually sat my parents down and told them to get a divorce. I couldn't take it anymore. Maybe that sounds selfish of me, but things are so much better now. I know my mom is so much happier and so am I. We both got hurt so much.

Unfortunately, I have serious trust issues when it comes to dating because of my father's extra marital affairs.

12. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

I know smile

13. Eaglekiwi profile image74
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

I always said to my sons (and they rolled their eyes)!

Never let the small brain dictate to the large brain smile

Im going to bed now on that happy note. (from the last post ) mapquest lol

14. dmarks profile image61
    dmarksposted 14 years ago

In any relationship there are gonna be temptation. If both parties are open and honest, I don't think anything is wrong with it. Now on the other hand you are opening a door that can cause more harm than good. For example.
    I found out that my husband was having some very explicit chats with a young lady that he works with and I could tell that there were feelings there...Now even though he may say that he doesn't talk to her anymore and he wants our marriage to work, I don't know if I will ever trust him again.
    So flirting can hurt and can cause some unwanted problems..

You are totally right.  It is the secrecy that is the problem.

15. apeksha profile image66
    apekshaposted 14 years ago

It's a sign of a bad husband or wife.
    It's totally wrong.

16. Pearldiver profile image67
    Pearldiverposted 14 years ago

Everyone enjoys being complimented and flirting is very much a compliment.  If anything; I don't believe that there is enough of it in the world. smile

Besides; Some of us are really, really good at flirting! big_smile

Also, I believe: One should always do one's best in life with the skills one has. big_smile

17. Lady_E profile image63
    Lady_Eposted 14 years ago

We ladies will be ladies and men will always be men. Just know where to draw the line. smile

This is the smartest observation so far.  This is better than any thing I have tried to say all night.

18. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

I think it depends on the personalities of the people involved.  I'm not the flirting type, and I didn't marry the flirting type.  Some people don't flirt unless there's something to it, so for people like that it's probably wrong if they're married.  If "everyone's a flirt and everyone else knows it", there's nothing wrong with, I guess.

19. Davinagirl3 profile image59
    Davinagirl3posted 14 years ago

I think I am a natural flirt.  My mom says that I flirt with everyone, men and women.  I guess I just enjoy being around people.  I am not talking about hard-core sex talk.  I just think that a little wink, or a look, can make someone feel beautiful.  It is an esteem thing.  When I see a woman flirt with my husband, and he blushes, that turns me on.

20. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

I don't particularly have anything against flirting.  It's just that I'm "flirting challenged".   smile

21. wannabwestern profile image93
    wannabwesternposted 14 years ago

It sounds like I'm in the minority here, but my belief is that a marriage involves a monogamous commitment: mind, body, and soul. Flirting with others can give you a real ego massage, but in my mind, it can pull you away from the mind and soul part of the commitment in your marriage. That is my idea of marriage, and in that regard I feel it takes consistent nurturing to keep the spark alive. Anyone who tells you otherwise has been watching a few too many romantic comedies. Marriage requires an investment of both spouse's energy, so why not flirt with your spouse and feed the spark?

1. Inspirepub profile image72
      Inspirepubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Several people have said here, and I have heard people say elsewhere, that flirting with other people feeds the spark in their marriage. Lots of couples "party flirt" - split up, work the room, then head home together to ... er ... enjoy the buzz together.

It happens so often that I have heard single people complaining about it - because they often don't realise they are wasting their time until it is too late to start over with someone new that evening.

Personally, I think anything is unethical if someone hasn't consented - including party flirting, for example, if you don't tell the flirtee you are unavailable.

It's all about honesty and transparency.

Jenny

22. wannabwestern profile image93
    wannabwesternposted 14 years ago

Hmmm. Party flirting. Interesting idea. But I guess I'm going to have to stay boring and old school and flirt with my own spouse. But I respectfully take your point about consenting adults doing what works for them.

23. Philipo profile image43
    Philipoposted 14 years ago

The idea of flirting in a marriage is a condemnable act. I do not support it in any way.  Why should a married couple give node to each other to keep relationships outside of the marriage.  You could as well forget getting married and flirt to eternity.  The issue of a single lady dating a married man is also wrong.  You can be wasting your future unknowingly.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)