iPhone and iPod touch Wrong passcode results in red disabled screen

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (43 posts)
  1. profile image53
    ibanga007posted 15 years ago

Here are your instructions from the website below.
    Forgotten your iPhone Passcode?
    If you have forgotten your iPhone's Passcode you will need to restore your phone via iTunes.
    But first you have to put your phone into the restore mode which is a slightly fiddly process.
    Plug your iPhone into your PC or Mac with the USB cable
    Press and hold the power button at the top and then slide to power off the iPhone
    Press the power button to power the iPhone on and keep it held while simultaneously pressing the home button
    After a few seconds a yellow alert triangle will appear and the iPhone will say it is iPhone Restore Mode.
    Open up iTunes and click on the Summary tab
    Click on Restore to restore your iPhone. This will reset all your iPhone's setting to the factory defaults, including the Passcode.
    You should then follow the steps above to activate the Passcode with a memorable number

1. guidebaba profile image57
      guidebabaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Great Info.

1. profile image49
        RhondaVazposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I have forgotten my passcode and the computer I used to set this up on is nolonger a working unit. I have tried your instructions but It still will not let me restore my ipod.  Please tell I'm NOT screwed.  I don't see a summary tab on my itunes.

1. profile image52
          yutopianposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Hi, I don't think that this will work in your case. If, when you plug iPhone or iPod touch in the "new" PC/ Mac - says "could not connect to iPod because its locked with a passcode" and,
          if you have tried to restore your iPhone or iPod touch using iTunes and are unable to do so, try the following steps to force the device into recovery mode.

Verify you have iTunes 7.5 or later. Apple recommends using the latest version of iTunes.
          Disconnect the USB cable from the iPhone or iPod touch.
          Power off the device (Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button for a few seconds until the red slider appears, then slide the slider. Wait for the the iPhone or iPod touch to turn off.
          Press and hold the Home button while reconnecting USB cable. When you reconnect USB, the device should then power on.

Note: If you see the message "Charging... Please Wait" or you see the screen pictured below, let the device charge for at least 10 minutes to ensure the battery has some charge and then start with step 2 again.

Continue holding the Home button while iPhone starts up. While starting up, you will see the Apple logo.
          When you see "Connect to iTunes" on the screen, you can release the Home button and iTunes will display the recovery mode message:

If you don't see the "Connect to iTunes" screen, then disconnect the USB cable from iPhone and repeat steps 3-6.

Because you must restore iPhone or iPod touch, iTunes will not recover data from the device, but if it was previously synced on the same computer and the same user account, it should restore a backup (if available). See document 305744, "Updating and Restoring iPhone Software."

Ta!

Yutopian

1. profile image49
            loverboiposted 15 years agoin reply to this

hi this really works  thank u yutopian ur the best

2. profile image51
            hamfaceposted 13 years agoin reply to this

if i do this, will i lose all my data?

3. profile image52
            Cidneyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

@ yutopian.. So your saying that you have to use the computer that that you sync on. I have only synced once, because I just got this iPhone and now I dont remember my password. So if I use the computer that I used the first time it will work. Because now im using someone elses computer who also has iTunes on their computer.

Thank You Sooo Much!

4. profile image50
            Ta!posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have a problem. Your advice, Yutopian, works very well, until this point:

"iTunes will display the recovery mode message"
            The Connect to ITunes screen works fine. But then, It should be connected, and instead stays on that image. Thank you!

5. GidgetBoo profile image55
            GidgetBooposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Wow, I was really shocked if anyone ever needs help with theirs, now I know what to do I'm so happy I googled everything and couldn't find anything to help. ESPECIALLY itunes support! that was a complete joke! Thank you so much for posting this it really helped me out. I'm beyond grateful. lol

6. profile image52
            akhashmanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Just Kidding

7. profile image53
            Oppieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The directions do not work, because you can't power off the ipod.  There is no slider when it is locked.

2. profile image50
      airakotoposted 15 years agoin reply to this

wow this is really amazing and working... now my friends think that I am really a genius... hahaha thanks

3. profile image50
      gta12345posted 13 years agoin reply to this

hey you know that you are the best

4. profile image49
      ayegeeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

RT @guidebaba: great info

5. profile image52
      ipoduserposted 13 years agoin reply to this

this is great but i dont want to loose all the apps I downloaded like textfree basically paying for it again is not an opton

1. GidgetBoo profile image55
        GidgetBooposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If you have an apple account (which you should or it wouldn't let you download anything) just go to account> purchase history> then it will give you all the ones you've downloaded so that way you can write them down. All you have to do is type them in the search bar and download them again. Trust me, it won't charge you I did it myself today. Just hit buy and after there will be a pop-up message saying that you already have it and that it will update for you ha I had over $80 worth of stuff I was afraid of buying again.

6. profile image51
      T_mouposted 12 years agoin reply to this

thanks bro, you're a genius....

7. profile image54
      sassysydneyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

i locked mi sisters i pod up and she is mad at me please help me!

8. profile image50
      RhondaScherrieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks a million. Your restoral steps worked!!!! Two thumbs up!!!

9. profile image52
      akhashmanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Dude! Where did you get this????? It doesnt WORK!!!!!

10. profile image53

When you go to turn the iPod off, there is no slider.  So how to turn it off?  Do I have to let the battery run out?

1. Beth100 profile image71
        Beth100posted 12 years agoin reply to this

First, push the button on the top of the iPod (the on/off button).  Keep it held down while you drag the "slide to unlock" bar.  A new "slide to turn off" bar will appear at the top of the screen.  Drag and slide this bar.  This will turn off your iPod/iPhone.

Second, follow his steps.  It will work.

1. profile image53

The only problem with those directions, is that no slide bar pops up.  It just goes to a black screen.

11. profile image52
      corawhiteyhposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for sharing. Apart from what you mention, I know Find My iPhone is also a good way to solve forgot iPhone passcode.

More detailed instructions:
      http://www.transfer-iphone-recovery.com … scode.html

2. profile image53
    ibanga007posted 15 years ago

I know is a great info, but is very very usefull

3. xrated profile image59
    xratedposted 15 years ago

Hey ! Thank you for all this useful info. I will keep a hardcopy of this.

4. profile image51
    dkirby2521posted 13 years ago

Thank you so much you help me the most after searching for several hours.

1. profile image52
      yutopianposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If you repeatedly enter the wrong passcode, iPhone or iPod touch will be disabled for longer intervals, before you can try again. After too many unsuccessful attempts, you won't be able to try again until you connect to the computer you normally sync with. 

Note that starting with iPhone 2.1 software, there is a setting to cause the device to erase itself after 10 consecutive incorrect password attempts. This setting is off by default. It can be turned on by tapping Settings > General > Passcode Lock after you enter a correct passcode.

If you cannot remember the passcode, you will need to restore your device on the computer that was used to originally sync the iPhone or iPod touch so that you can reset your passcode and resync the data from the device (or restore from a backup).

If you restore on a different computer that was never synced to the iPhone or iPod touch, you will be able to unlock the device for use and remove the passcode but your data will not be present.

Here below is a simple method how to reset your iPhone (note that's it's not the same thing as Restoring to its factory settings where all data on your is cleared), consider it as if you were restarting your iPhone from fresh. 

Press and hold down the Sleep/Wake button and Home button simultaneously for a least 10 seconds the screen will clear out and then the Apple Logo will appear on the black background. When the logo appears it means that reset is done.

On the Windows side, the iPhone mounts as a camera, so you may be able to download photos from your locked phone. If you’d like to “explore” your iPhone, iPhoneExplorer (Windows) and DiskAid (Mac) will work. Try FileSalvage app.

1. profile image48
        mgb77posted 13 years agoin reply to this

HEY MY IPOD TOUCH  IS DISABLED AND IM USING A NEW COMPUTER SO WHEN  I TRY TO RESET IT IT SAYS THAT IT COULDNT CONNECT TO THE SINCRONIZING NETWORK OR SOMTHING LIKE THAT IM SCREWED BECASUE I NEED MY IPOD I CANT LIVE WITHOUT IT sad I CANT RESET IT I KNOW HOW TO RESET OTHER IPODS BUT THIS ONE I CANT PLEASE PLEASE I NEED UR HELP I DONT KNOW IF I GAVE YOU ENOUGH INFORMATION BUT I WOULD DO ANYTHING TO GET MY IPOD BACK

2. profile image52
        allanquicayposted 12 years agoin reply to this

@yutopian, how will i have that FileSalvage app ? is that downloadable via iTunes on iPhone or not?

5. profile image51
    Klianna1posted 13 years ago

HELP! I tried all of your methods, but nothing works! My phone just keeps taking pictures when i do the simoultaniously clicking one, and it doesn't respond at all to the other ones, can anyone help me?

6. profile image48
    glacey134posted 13 years ago

this info is really helpful with my iphone thanks, but I think that the yellow alert triangle is a bit out of date because it did not come up on my screen but amazingly helpful info thanks again.

7. profile image47
    carterluvposted 12 years ago

omgg like this is so nice how this works thank you so much!((;

8. johncimble profile image52
    johncimbleposted 12 years ago

There was some sort of virus/malware that caused this a while back too. Not sure if the same solution fixed it though.

9. profile image51
    fety3902posted 12 years ago

Hi none of this  is working!! It's like my Ipod is locked forever.. I have done everything that was suggested and I can't even get the slider to come up the only screen that will come up is the one that says "Ipod is disabled connect to Itunes.". which I have done and that same message comes up cause im no longer using that computer.. What should I do??

10. profile image50
    SuperJesusposted 12 years ago

this did not work for me it said i had an error!!!!!!!!!! what do i do???????

11. profile image52
    onehotdenmomposted 12 years ago

My daughter bought an itouch gen 1 on ebay.  Before I could sinc it onto my computer she forgot the passwork.  When I try to restart it I can not get passed the 'connect to itune' screen and my computer says it does not recognize the ipod. I called Apple and while they were friendly, they weren't any help. 
    I would send it back to the ebay seller, but I gave neutral feedback for poor service in delivery and communication.  Note to self, 'if you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all.'

1. profile image52
      TonyGuyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi, I have Iphone4. Which is disabled and I do not have the original pc. None of the above solution allowing to access the iphone files photos etc!!! Help
      Tony
      Many Thanks!

12. profile image53
    megancaseposted 12 years ago

ok so i bought a iphone 3gs off a man in town today and i think ive been ripped off. i forgot to get the passcode off him but not only that when i plug it into itunes it is saying the phone needs a passcode however nothing on the phone or computer is showing up to put a passcode into. could you help? many thanks

13. Sarah Darah profile image57
    Sarah Darahposted 12 years ago

Worked for me! The trick I had to do was after resetting it (holding down the power and home buttons simultaneously) I then did the exact same thing while the apple was on the screen- that allowed me to connect it to itunes and restore it. Thank you so much! smile

14. profile image35
    shoaib4dposted 12 years ago

Plus try this one too.Cool solution

http://www.babatips.com/tech-tips/forgo … -solution/

1. profile image52
      bobbylosposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Firstly I would sign up to iCloud if you haven't and then use the over the air backup to backup your iPhone (You get 5GB free!) then once this is done, you will be able to reset the phone should you want / need to.

Have there been any updates to your Virtual Box since your last sync? If not, it could be that iTunes can not see its XML file needed for device synchronisation; also ensure that all of the helper services are started on your machine.

Failing the above and assuming you follow the first recommendation, try resetting and restoring from iCloud.

Best of luck
      Read more: http://www.recovery-ipad.com/recover-ip … store.html

15. profile image51
    brantKOUposted 6 years ago

Thanks for sharing! I just hard reset my iPhone and restore iPhone without iTunes. And it works very well. I want to know if my current data will be erased when I recover my iPhone 6 by using iTunes. And I would like to learn more about how to reset iphone without password as well as without data loss.
    I search some relevant articles on the Internet.

restore iPhone without iTunes: http://www.iphonedata.net/restore-iphon … tunes.html
    how to reset iphone without password: http://www.iphonedata.net/how-to-reset- … sword.html

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)