Do you feel that tattoos have become more acceptable in society?

Jump to Last Post 1-26 of 26 discussions (41 posts)
  1. InspiredHippy profile image70
    InspiredHippyposted 12 years ago

I still get stares from people due to my ink.  I have been under the tattoo gun 22 times.  As the years pass I have noticed that more often than not the people staring comment on my ink in a positive way.  Your thoughts?

1. thighhighchick profile image60
      thighhighchickposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Absolutely.  Almost everyone I know has at least one. I have two, a "tramp stamp" lower back that I love and another one just below my bikini line.

2. pmiles profile image61
      pmilesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Very much so. When I lived in CA, everyone had them, so I got quite a few. Now that I'm in NC, they aren't as popular, but since I work in the beauty industry, they are much more acceptable. I do get a lot of compliments. Only one person has ever dared to say she hated it -- my (ex) boyfriend's mother.

3. A Troubled Man profile image57
      A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Really? My son saw an old man with a tattoo that he said looked like a "faded grotesque smear" and wondered why considering the tattoos he saw on younger people. I told him that's what happens to tattoos over the years as the skin sheds cells and ages. I asked if he wanted to get one. Not a chance in hell, he said.

4. Hui (蕙) profile image61
      Hui (蕙)posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, society is changing, fashion is changing, and the way of thinking is also changing. There is no one fixed criterion to judge right or wrong in fashion world, only based on whether you like or not. Tattoo is an art. In old days, tough guys already had tattoo, but absolute a taboo for women. So, I think that tattoo so popular today to everyone reflects the innovation of modern society.

2. InspiredHippy profile image70
    InspiredHippyposted 12 years ago

My first tattoo is harley wings in the small of my back.  When I got it in 1978, it was not known as a "tramp stamp".  I found it very apropos when the term came to be.  Scooter tramp was a very common term for bikers back in the day so it is fitting that I have wings in that spot! 
    Happy hubbing!
    Becky Jo aka Inspired Hippy

3. profile image0
    klarawieckposted 12 years ago

I don't have any tattoo but I don't find anything wrong with people that have them. The problem comes once they get old... they start looking less appealing, especially in a woman.

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/5471453_f248.jpg

1. kmackey32 profile image63
      kmackey32posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well I think that is awesome and looks cool....lol

4. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

I advised my own daughters against getting tattoos,(needless to say they ignored me, totally), and went ahead.

What is fashionable today - even if that is your husband's name, may not be fashionable tomorrow.

Personally, I would raise the age of consent for a tattoo to 30, because anyone under that is too stupid to make the decision.

Tattoos are for life.

Even if you choose something sensible, like the tiniest rose, you may grow to hate it for whatever reason. Does there have to be a reason? But what happens when you fall out of love with your tattoo?

What happens when your body grows with pregnancy, then shrinks afterwards?

Do you still love the look of your tattoo?

Even though it now has stretch marks and doesn't convey the message it once did.

Older again, and the wrinkles and the drooping sets in.

Do you still love your tattoo?

When you are old and grey and incontintent in a nursing home, do you really want the young assistants to be laughing at you?

Because they will! By that time, tattoos will be old hat, and only you old folk will have them, and youngsters will snigger at what you thought was 'hip'.

Your dragon tattoo will be out of shape, a bit like yourself. You'll get fed up explaining what it was meant to be, assuming you remember, that is.

1. livelonger profile image87
      livelongerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

mad Hey, I resemble that remark! lol
      I got my tattoo when I was 23, and 15 years later, I still love it and have no regrets.
      Granted, I didn't get one across my neck or something entirely too conspicuous, which are becoming more popular nowadays. But laser tattoo removal is also becoming lots more sophisticated, too.

1. K9keystrokes profile image84
        K9keystrokesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I totally agree that using good sense around where you place your tat makes a ton of difference. The average person would not even suspect I had even a single tattoo. Location, location, location! wink

1. livelonger profile image87
          livelongerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

True! As with real estate, so with tattoos! lol

lol

2. Ellarose92 profile image59
      Ellarose92posted 12 years agoin reply to this

first off there is many reasons to get tattoos i'm 19 and i have two i got very ill at on point in highschool and it was unkown what was wrong with me and i went through a lot of stuff i got a tattoo that was meaningful to me and i want to have for the rest of my life wrinkles and all and 30? thats a little too old to be getingconsent for anything why do you care so mhabout others bodies its not yours and you only live once you learn from ur past and its up to that person to decide i love my tattoos and that will never change just as i would age your gonna age as well and when ur old your gona be ugly and old or ugly and old with tattoos so either way it doesnt matter its not about fashion unless you know someones story or ur their parent worry about your kids and not others its not your body so honestly i feel that people can express anything they want to regaurdless of where it is my tattoo is visable and peple love it and the story behind it but i dont care what people think!

1. IzzyM profile image86
        IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Who's got a bee in their bonnet? Take a breath, kid!

lol

2. Ellarose92 profile image59
          Ellarose92posted 12 years agoin reply to this

im just fine thank you, dont call me kid. just saying how i felt..

5. sushimia profile image58
    sushimiaposted 12 years ago

i do believe it is now more acceptable. people might just be staring because they never seen anything so kharismatic or awesome. (sp?) even if it isn't acceptable for certain people,it is one way to create individuality or to express something symbolic. but to elaborate,yes,i do think its more acceptable. they even have shows for tattoo shops now its so common.

1. profile image58
      shell20110309posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I love tattoos though but there is a line.too much tattoos makes me feel afraid.

6. K9keystrokes profile image84
    K9keystrokesposted 12 years ago

I think tats are becoming more and more acceptable these days as we see them on celebs and everyday folks, and less gang and prison related. I have several tats, each one tells the story of my life, family, and the loved ones I have lost. For me, they are less about fashion and more about the story.
    I really enjoy looking at good artfully colored designs or black white designer ink, not so much the raw unprofessional stuff; even as it does have its place in the world of power-ink. Fun question!
    Cheers~

7. tommyriges84 profile image41
    tommyriges84posted 12 years ago

i think nothing wrong to have tattoo or get more...even i never get one(hmmm)but i plan to get at least one.
    yes, people around will take its as something related to something bad...more worse, they see it as a bloodline with crime but personally i think as a human, only some that will say hi and be friend and will take opportunity to get close with other human, the rest maybe not even care but most of it start labelling from what their eyes show them.
    Anyway, tattoo is still cool. tattoo is one of my cultures,its living with my community since i was born. its a sign of beauty to girls, braveness to a man even nowadays its not more than  just a fashion but its never be more than what it is since its existence, now or whenever....
    so will get one very2 soon n get it posted in here....

8. Mikeydoes profile image43
    Mikeydoesposted 12 years ago

Never would getting a tatoo cross my mind. Things like that get annoying or irritating to me. If I had a tatoo on my arm it would certainly become an eyesore for me.

They don't look nice at all in my opinion. Colors on skin just doesn't appeal to me at all.

It is much more acceptable, sure. All of my buddies have them, and honestly it goes with their personality. They are much more careless and seem to really want attention from them. Much like smoking cigarettes, it is another thing to have in common.

I don't know if I speak for everybody else that isn't a fan of tatoos. But I see absolutely no real point in inking up my skin, I don't really care. At all about them, and when people ask me why I don't like it, its not that I don't I'm just not a fan of them. They are a turn off, I don't know why. I do put up with them, but I just don't get most of them!

9. bjornborgboxers profile image59
    bjornborgboxersposted 12 years ago

Definitely so. Although many people in the office hide theirs..

10. billabongbob profile image66
    billabongbobposted 12 years ago

Tattoo's are now widely popular and are more excepted by society, but it's still personal choice.

My tattoos are only visible if I want them to be. They are fairly small and in locations that are only on show if I so wish, such as my thigh, back of my shoulder and ankles.

My very recently ex husband of 20 years was daft enough to have my name on him arm, amongst other things. He also had his name, which he changed a year after having the tattoo. I bet his new girlfriend in not impressed lol.

11. thisisoli profile image71
    thisisoliposted 12 years ago

It depends on the situation, and the tattoo.  Large amounts of Tattoos, or certain types of tattoo if visible can limit careers etc.

12. kmackey32 profile image63
    kmackey32posted 12 years ago

Yes, I have a whole arm covered. I also work as a CNA in a nursing home. No one has a problem with my tattoos. Most are flowers and butterflys.

13. MissFrancis31 profile image58
    MissFrancis31posted 12 years ago

I believe that tattoos are an art form and that they are extremely beautiful! they are a form of self expression and are becoming more and more main stream!

14. LatestDud profile image62
    LatestDudposted 12 years ago

Definitely! I got my first tattoo when I was 19 turning 20. I'm 21 now and I have 6! I work in retail and I have to wear a short sleeved shirt. Everyone has always been very positive about my tattoos. Telling me how great they look or asking me what they mean. People better get use to tattoos, because they are here to stay... literally!!!

15. Gordon Hamilton profile image92
    Gordon Hamiltonposted 12 years ago

In a word - no.

Let's just get things right first of all in the sense that tattoos are as old as the hills and humanity. They are not some new fangled invention, or fashion statement of the modern age. They go back to the ancient civilisations in many parts of the globe, particularly the Chinese and Egyptians. The preserved carcass of a man dating back to 3300BC was found to have 57 tattoos!!

So what are tattoos? Body art, some will say, akin to women wearing make-up or men wearing battle dress in ancient times. The difference with tattoos is that they can not be washed off or ceremoniously removed.

I am not in any way trying to be condescending, I am trying to offer sensible input to the debate. I'm afraid that someone in their early twenties telling me that they do not regret (yet!!!) what they did when they were younger actually makes me guffaw uncontrollably, rather than smile...

I have three tattoos. They were all done when I was a teenager and they are all on my arms. I regret two of them in terms of content very much as they are what may be deemed to be offensive in modern times, not in a straightforward sense in that they contain obscenities but for what they represent.

I would urge anyone contemplating a tattoo to think very, very carefully before you get it done. Remember, no reputable tattooist will ever tattoo you if they can smell alcohol from you for very good reason, so avoid any that will like the plague. Also remember the safety factor of needles: Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome. If you must have a tattoo done, go to a reputable artist. Mine were actually done by what was at the time the only tattooist in Scotland recommended as safe by the National AIDS Helpline. I was young and daft - I wasn't stupid! smile

I will never judge anyone for getting a tattoo - I hardly could! - but I hope only that if you are thinking about it, you do take all factors in to account before you go ahead...

16. Loco Life profile image56
    Loco Lifeposted 12 years ago

I don't know if they have become more acceptable in society's eyes, but I think people are more understanding. Tattoos are a form of self expression, and everyone has that right. I once had an older woman call me a harlot solely because I had a tattoo. I asked her why she felt that way, and she said that I was damaging my body, and that I obviously wanted to draw attention to myself. I asked her if her hair was permed. She said yes it was, and that she got it done every month. I said well do you feel you're a harlot? It seriously shocked her, and I thought for a minute she was going to smack me. I said well, you obviously don't want your hair a mess, and you get it permed for people to look at, and that the chemicals used for her perm and dye were very damaging to her hair. She got the point, and walked off. I didn't get an apology, but I'm more than okay with that because I got my point across.

1. Gordon Hamilton profile image92
      Gordon Hamiltonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I would agree with you in principal, Loco Life, in that they are a form of self expression. You of course have a very valid point with the lady with the permed hair in that she had no right to pass judgement on you. Tattoos and permed hair are both down to freedom of choice. The issue with tattoos is more one of self-judgement and deep consideration as you get older. Perms in hair wash out...

17. TattooKitty profile image82
    TattooKittyposted 12 years ago

I definitely get lots of stares due to my tattoo sleeve but, more often than not, the comments are positive.  When people find out that I'm a teacher, they often ask, "And they don't care about your tattoos?"  I'm very lucky that my school has a large population of tattooed teachers.  Still, I don't see how my body art would affect my ability to be a great teacher.  In fact, I'd say it helps- during the poetry unit, I always use my tattoos to explain the concepts of metaphor and symbol.  The kids also love telling me about which tattoo is their favorite.  All in all, I think the trend is changing...people are becoming more accepting of body art in general.

18. ellablake23 profile image56
    ellablake23posted 12 years ago

Hey dear,Personally I don't think so that tattoos have become more acceptable in society. Actually, they are very harmful for our body. But yeah some people used them more. But I don't like tattoos.

19. Alecia Murphy profile image71
    Alecia Murphyposted 12 years ago

In some contexts, I see it working like people who are musicians but even if you're an actor- you have to be careful. Especially now that some musicians want to act, they have to have makeup cover their tats and that's a lot of work for a makeup artist when you can just have someone with smaller/less noticeable tats or none at all do the job.
    Mainstream corporate and office jobs, I think it's ok if it's not so visible to coworkers and/or the public. Personally, I don't have any tattoos because I feel like I lot of people are doing them to seem cool or unique rather than just being themselves. I don't want my name on my arm because hopefully I'll remember it through old age. I like flowers, but I don't want to see one on my ankle everyday instead of a real garden. I think it depends on how you view it.
    Some people are ok with tattoos but people with face and neck tattoos are pretty much assuring themselves not to work a 9-5.

20. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

I was reading this article here, just a little while ago, and laughed to see tattoos being described as "tramp stamps!" Who thought that one up?
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film … tacks.html
    Apologies if this is a common term - I hadn't heard it. I don't get out a lot!

21. gracenotes profile image89
    gracenotesposted 12 years ago

Well, in a business sense, tattoo art is providing a good living for some people who are very talented, and it's such a popular thing to do that I'll bet the business is not affected by the awful economy as much as some industries are.

I don't like tattoos, and would never get one, but fine, I guess, if you want to express your individuality.  The permanent aspect of it bothers me, though.  Fads come and go, but what will you look like 30 years from now?  I'm too much of a long-range planner to really *get* some of this stuff.

22. accvv1234 profile image57
    accvv1234posted 12 years ago

yes, nowadays , theere are many people have a tattoo, but i dont think it is a good thing , i don't like tattoo ! it is not a good=looking on our body , at last i think so !

23. profile image0
    juliafranceschiniposted 12 years ago

This is an interesting discussion. I'm not a fan of tattoos. But I see them everywhere and they are definitely more accepted. Target hires people with visible tattoos and facial piercings--it wasn't like that 10 years ago.

I looked at some of the reasons people give for wanting a tattoo. Like surviving a terrible illness or as a memorial to a lost loved one. I think those are fine reasons to get a tattoo.

But for me, I'd rather memorialize something by drawing a picture, framing it, and then looking at it every day.

Maybe it's me, but I have a problem with permanence, so I don't think I will get a tattoo.

My sister has steadily been getting tattoos since she turned 18 three years ago. She's already made a couple tattoo mistakes but cannot afford to get them removed. She's going in next week to get one covered.

I think the cost of tattoos outweigh the benefits.

24. vintageglamour profile image60
    vintageglamourposted 12 years ago

in the casual arena they are definately more acceptable. Maybe not so much in the corporate world.

I love tattoos though but there is a line.

25. profile image54
    DarkAidenposted 10 years ago

Being 24 and having one tattoo which I debate getting removed. I absolutely hate tattoos when I was younger at about 19 I got mine with a best friend and now we hate each other. I feel tattoos are absolutely pointless. Regardless of the so called "meaning" they have which is not a meaning just a excuse so you can sleep at night... But this stupid trend is making it so difficult to find women who are not defiled by tattoos. I feel that ones body is so beautiful that getting "ink" just gets in the way and makes women especially since i'm a male look ten times worse taking a woman who was beautiful to good I wish this petty trend would stop but with how retarded our generations are becoming who knows when this will happen.... It's a very sad world

26. thelyricwriter profile image83
    thelyricwriterposted 10 years ago

I believe it truly has. Thanks to tattoos shows and the media, more and more people are learning about the symbolism and meaning behind tattooing. Tattooing has a deep rich history that dates back centuries, as far as we can remember. Just in the past few years, tattoos have become more acceptable. A few years back, "Do you have tattoos" was on about every application for a job. I hear a lot of folks coming in saying they don't see this that much.

Tattoos have become a normal part of society now. We're not all the way there but we're much better then before. Tattoos are a very important aspect of who we are. Tattoos are meaningful and once people understand that, they are more open to the whole idea. Tattoo is like art, and art has always been accepted. The only difference is the canvas.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)