How are people getting traffic from google?

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (36 posts)
  1. avan989 profile image64
    avan989posted 12 years ago

I been on a couple of days and pretty much all my traffic is from hubpages. I get a couple from digg but that is about it. How are people getting their traffic from google and other search engine?

1. Hollie Thomas profile image60
      Hollie Thomasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Eventually the google traffic will follow, but you need to give it a few weeks. You'll also need to ensure that you are using keywords that are being searched for.

2. incomeguru profile image95
      incomeguruposted 12 years agoin reply to this

To get massive traffic from the search engines, specifically Google, one needs to write quality content which will not be over stuffed with keywords. I recommends using your main keyword in the title, first paragraph of your content and in the conclusion. Also make sure you're getting quality backlinks from authority sites as the case may be.

1. Pearldiver profile image67
        Pearldiverposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You don't recommend hostages then? sad

3. dipless profile image69
      diplessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You need to do keyword research, I have just been given more tips as I had no idea I was doing it wrong :p go and read and understand about keyword research and then use these to build unique and high quality content. These need to mature, it can take 6 -12 months to see a decent amount of Google Traffic. Also as people have said backlinks are important.

4. Dale Hyde profile image81
      Dale Hydeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I just checked my stats and Google is at 5 percent of my overall hits, as a source.

1. Dale Hyde profile image81
        Dale Hydeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Also, you can use Google Webmaster Tools to submit a page/hub to Google. I use the Googglebot  there to accomplish that.

2. Cliff Mendrez profile image90
    Cliff Mendrezposted 12 years ago

You've probably heard of longtail keywords. I find that so far, I get the most success from using those. I'm just new here but I get traffic from google already, albeit minuscule. It still surprises me though that I get organic traffic each and every day. I have yet to bother with backlinks but that's one of the most recommended ways of driving organic traffic. Best of luck to you.

3. Pearldiver profile image67
    Pearldiverposted 12 years ago

I've like been here for ages... but I've found that the best traffic I get comes from the detours I manage to put up on busy highways and parking sites! smile

It's amazing how easy it is to divert traffic when they think a hostage is involved, or they can get free zoo vouchers, or just simply that your work is pretty good! smile

1. dipless profile image69
      diplessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol i'll be sure to try that over here big_smile

2. Greekgeek profile image79
      Greekgeekposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Chevy Chase actually did that to Haverford College, diverting rush hour traffic into Philadelphia through campus by borrowing some construction traffic cones.

As for Google and other search engine traffic -- I don't know. I just don't know.

I get about 22,000 unique visitors a week (not repeat visits, not my own visits) on another article site. That averages out to about 55 visitors per article. On Hubpages, I get about 300 visits a week, which averages to about 5 visitors per hub (and I think Hubpages is counting return visits and my own.)

Then again, I have more articles written with search traffic in mind on that other site. Whereas I've been writing more creative/informational articles here which don't lend themselves so much to specific searches. Keyword SEO is definitely important. So is web-wide social reputation, these days.

Moral of the story: if you want traffic, you have to figure out what things you know that people actually search the web for, and focus on those things. (That means SEO.) If you mostly write things that you feel like writing, then you're primarily writing for yourself, and you shouldn't expect as much traffic.

4. 2uesday profile image66
    2uesdayposted 12 years ago

Once your hubber score (on profile pic) goes up to 75 and so long as your hubs are not getting a really low score you will or should get more search engine traffic, to your pages.

1. Pearldiver profile image67
      Pearldiverposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yeah Right... That's alright for you 2uesday.. you have a captive smile! smile
      It's a bit harder for a dragon.. that's why I find zoo vouchers very effective.. especially for driving traffic to my pet hubs! smile

2. wilderness profile image93
      wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Unfortunately for that theory, google can see neither your hubber score nor hub scores.  They are strictly internal.

They also have relatively little to do with traffic even as an indicator.  They have absolutely nothing to do with driving traffic to a hub.

1. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image83
        Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years agoin reply to this

....except for the fact that some people will click the links for "hubs" or "hubbers" and land on hubs from the scores of the author or the individual hub.

2. Khanmaria12 profile image49
        Khanmaria12posted 10 months agoin reply to this

Avon and Sagecarter have no featured articles yet. I wonder how writers with zero featured articles have good hubber's score?

1. CYong74 profile image95
          CYong74posted 10 months agoin reply to this

Khanmaria, you have a whole list of featured articles. You even have some on Letterpile, a niche site.

1. Khanmaria12 profile image49

Well, I am not talking about my self. It was about the Authors I named

1. CYong74 profile image95
              CYong74posted 10 months agoin reply to this

Oops, I read wrongly. Apologies.

I think new hubbers start off with a mid range score. The score then changes based on their hubs, the popularity, etc.

Some hubbers have high score because of previous hubs that they have since unpublished. It's a residue thing of sorts.

Whichever the case, the score doesn't really matter.

1. Khanmaria12 profile image49

Okay, thanks.

5. imatellmuva profile image77
    imatellmuvaposted 12 years ago

A review of my traffic sources show that most of my views come from a google domain. I agree that keyword search is important, including in your title. Although admittedly, I'm still trying to get the hang of it.

One of my earlier hubs; I didn't know anything about keywords and their importance. To date this hub generates the majority of traffic. I think I added keywords without knowing that I did.

I occassionally change the title of some hubs, every now and then (Title Tuner), and I updated all of my hubs with a summary. After I added summaries to my hubs, I saw an additional boost in traffic.

I also do maintenance on earlier hubs. Especially since I know a little more now, compared to when I first joined HubPages.

1. imatellmuva profile image77
      imatellmuvaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

*there*...also be sure that your hubs, including title is free of grammar errors! hmm

6. 2uesday profile image66
    2uesdayposted 12 years ago

OK I guess I worded it wrongly, I meant - until your score is up to a do follow amount - he will not be getting much in coming traffic. Or have I misunderstood that.

Yea - that smile, even now, I often get people say I can tell I can trust you. Well, except when I was a tourist at the Vatican and they checked me twice at the security point.

1. wilderness profile image93
      wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

2uesday, you are right that with a hubber score under 75 all outgoing links will be nofollow.  That won't affect your hub much, though; mostly it affects the site the link is pointing to.  At most you will get a very small amount of "google juice" with a dofollow link to a very highly respected site.

The bottom line is that dofollow/nofollow will have a very minimal traffic effect on your own hubs.

7. avan989 profile image64

wow thanks for the info, i am definitely going to try these

8. sagecarter profile image59
    sagecarterposted 12 years ago

I have been on for about two months and only in the past week or so are my hubs starting to get any regular google traffic.

9. avan989 profile image64

I read that people are spinning their article automatically to get  more backlink. How important is backlink and what program do you use or recommend?

1. LeanMan profile image80
      LeanManposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Most spinners produce garbage that cannot be read which they then put on sites like this to pollute it and drag the rest of us down!! Original content is what counts!!

Backlinks are important, go and do some searches using the search box top right..

10. Sherry Hewins profile image92
    Sherry Hewinsposted 12 years ago

After just being here a couple of days it's not surprising you don't get Google traffic. I have been here a month and about 13% of my traffic is from Google, and I am excited about that. Digg seems to help, especially if other people Digg your stuff.

BTW Greekgeek I don't think HubPages is counting my visits, because I visit my pages often and it doesn't appear to show up.

11. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image83
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years ago

Sir, I looked at what Hubpages has listed as your best hub, and it is titled "College Unemployment: Tips on Surviving" - okay, I do like the way that you've got your main points in bold and black, but who cares what I like.

1. Your top text capsule needs to have a title to it involving keywords.

2. You've got two picture capsules, and they have the same problem - you need to title them with keywords relevant to your hub.

3. I feel like you've a solid subject matter, but I think you need to expand on it by at least a thousand more words, as your subject matter there is surely one that has been explored hundreds of times by other online authors such as yourself.

12. vocalcoach profile image93
    vocalcoachposted 12 years ago

This is a good and valid question. Always check your spelling and grammar - and check it more than once. The answers that you have received are excellent. I do know that when I wrote my first few hubs 20 months ago, it took awhile.

Make sure you are using a few keywords and place them in the title of your hub. The title is very important. Content is everything!  Don't "cut corners" or write a hub that is too short.

Write unique content, especially when the subject has many articles already written. Add a couple of links using hubpages authors. This can also increase your score.  As you can see, there are many factors to consider. Give it some time and you will do very well.  Thanks for your question.

13. Greekgeek profile image79
    Greekgeekposted 12 years ago

Every form of writing requires special vocabulary and techniques, whether you're writing thrillers, legal documents, haiku, or children's books.

When writing on the web, your primary audience is people, so keep them in mind first. But your secondary audience is search engines.

Search engines need you to be specific. Whereas a person will guess who you mean if you say POTUS, search engines are more likely to understand your subject if you say "President George W. Bush." (Notice that I specified which Bush.)

The more you use specific phrases and names -- the sorts of words and vocabulary people tend to use when discussing, writing about, and searching for your topic -- the more likely you are to get Google and other search engine traffic. Just don't pile so many nouns and technical terms into your writing that it becomes boring, dull or dense to human readers.

You don't have to repeat the same noun phrase over and over, mind you-- one "President George W. Bush" written in full would be sufficient, after which you could just say "President Bush." There is some evidence that search engines, or at least Google, will consider a web page more relevant for a particular search term if that page also includes other related terms. So, for example, you might be able to boost your relevance for President Bush by mentioning the White House, "Bush administration", or Dick Cheney.

The key is to write in a concrete style, naming things rather than just implying them. You might brainstorm a list of five to ten nouns and phrases related to your topic, and make sure you use them where they fit what you're writing.

This is a simple yet surprisingly effective form of keyword SEO which can grab search engine traffic for commonly-searched phrases that nobody -- with all their keyword research software -- has hit upon.

14. Victoria Lynn profile image89
    Victoria Lynnposted 12 years ago

Greekgeek--great advice about brainstorming and using more nouns in the hub. I don't tend to focus on that after I've used the keyword once or twice. Thank you.

It also seems to take a while for Google to index our hubs, making them more readily searchable--or find-able. I'm getting more Google hits as time goes on.

15. WD Curry 111 profile image56
    WD Curry 111posted 12 years ago

Write about pancakes, and sell maple syrup.

16. warchild75 profile image63
    warchild75posted 10 months ago

Keywords are key (pardon the pun) If people are not searching for the topic or keywords you have used you will not rank high in google. Providing answers for the questions people are searching for works well but try and pick keywords that people are searching for and that those keywords dont have a lot of competition. Hope that helps

17. FatFreddysCat profile image92
    FatFreddysCatposted 10 months ago

I stand on the roof of my house, waving a sign with my HubPages URL on it and screaming "YO! GOOGLE! CHECK ME OUT!"

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)