The Glitter Band 1970s Music Debate

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (27 posts)
  1. calpol25 profile image59
    calpol25posted 12 years ago

Recently I have done several music hubs - well 17 in fact so that you can vote for your favourites any ways Misty and myself were talking about the Glitter band as I wanted to use them but due to the stigma and what happened with You know who I avoided it,

Do you think it was fair that the whole band and their music had to suffer because of the actions of Gary Glitter?

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
      mistyhorizon2003posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I loved the Glitter Band's music, and think it is really sad that it is now considered taboo to request a Glitter Band track at a party simply because of what Gary Glitter did, after all, why should the entire band suffer? Also why should all the people who loved the music feel they can no longer be seen to buy it or listen to it? It seems like literally tens of thousands of people got punished simply because of what Gary Glitter did.

2. donnaisabella profile image72
      donnaisabellaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Calpol, if what I read about what Gary Glitter did is true, then he surely deserves to be punished to the maximum extent of the law. The band being disbanded sounds sort of unfair but it is a message to all and sundry that this kind of offense should not be tolerated at all anywhere in the world. We have been girls that were molested in different societies all around the world, our daughters are in danger of being abused in that way too. When will this abuse of women and girls stop if strong measures are not taken? Children are very vulnerable and we need them to be safe. What I have noticed a lot of times is that people are aware of what a very close colleague may be doing but they do not have the guts to confront or decency to report them so the culprits are empowered in their evil progression. I am sorry, but that is just how I feel.

1. IzzyM profile image87
        IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Absolutely, totally agree.
        The Glitter Band themselves only attained fame through their front man, and now that he has been shown to be a dirty pedophile, sorry but they have to be castigated too, as a band that is, not as individuals. There is nothing to stop them reforming and re-naming their group, but they would need new material too because everyone relates the Glitter songs to Gary Glitter (though some Super bowl teams still use the Hey Song as their anthem) and is taboo as far as normal minded people are concerned.
        They are too old now anyway.

3. Shinkicker profile image53
      Shinkickerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Interesting that Michael Jackson never suffered from the same stigma. I know he wasn't convicted but there was a lot dubious behaviour going on with him

1. IzzyM profile image87

He did, but not to the same extent. I was put off, as were many others. It was a case of, "great artist/pity about the person".

The non-conviction saved his career.

The media were not too keen on facing possible libel charges for making accusations which were never proven in court, unlike in Glitter's case.

2. calpol25 profile image59

Hi guys sorry about the delay I had to go away for a while, right am back smile

I agree with your points but what I mean is we know what Gary did and I agree he should be punished but I think that the band should have been given a chance as it just seems so sad that their careers had to suffer.

The music was sensational though smile

1. IzzyM profile image87

Sensational??

No, it was good for dancing to, but sensational? No!

Sensational 70s bands - Roxy Music, Focus, Fleetwood Mac, T-Rex, Cream, Alice Cooper, Queen, David Bowie...I could go on.

3. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 12 years ago

I've never heard of them, what did GG do?

1. IzzyM profile image87
      1. rebekahELLE profile image84
        rebekahELLEposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Oh, yeah, I've heard it, the band never impressed me. 

In regard to the OP question, if he was as much a jerk as it sounds like he was, that association is likely to reflect on them regardless.. especially if they knew of his behavior and enabled him. I would think they would want to move as far away from any association with him as possible.

1. IzzyM profile image87

Nor me. Gary Glitter remained popular fr years in the UK, long after his last hit because he used to do a series of live Christmas concerts around the country that were apparently fantastic, but I wouldn't know (not my cup of tea).

Everything to do with him now is anathema to people, naturally. When he was stopped from molesting children in the UK, he just went abroad and did it.

http://isabelmelville.hubpages.com/hub/ … -Bowl-2012

4. Repairguy47 profile image59
    Repairguy47posted 12 years ago

I don't think they suffered because of Gary Glitter they suffered because the music was baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad.

1. IzzyM profile image87

Oh....were they sheep shaggers too?

1. Repairguy47 profile image59
        Repairguy47posted 12 years agoin reply to this

That would be Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad.

5. calpol25 profile image59

I love this debate what with sheep shagging band members and paedophile singers being thrown around its more fun than a religious debate lol lol

1. Repairguy47 profile image59

Here is gooooooooooood music from the same era.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXbGI0vn9FQ

1. IzzyM profile image87

Oh they were something!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZN82U5J … re=related

Loved this one though!

calpol25posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Why not come and vote for your favourites of the eras on here

http://calpol25.hubpages.com/hub/My-Top … 970s-Songs

2. Repairguy47 profile image59

Ever hear this version? Damn Americans always put a little edge to things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UQgPjDd … re=related

1. IzzyM profile image87

Wow! That is impressive!

2. IzzyM profile image87

Trouble is, if most of the US members don't know who the guy is,the debate will only centre round those who do know.

calpol25posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thats true smile

6. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
    mistyhorizon2003posted 12 years ago

The Glitter music was great, superb fun dance music. This is not about Gary and what he did wrong, it is about good music, even if he was a criminal. People need to assess the music without knowing who sung the lead on it, only then can they say it was fun listening, and to be honest, why blame the whole band for what HE did. It doesn't change the fact the music was really popular beforehand.

1. IzzyM profile image87

It was fun dance music but that was all, it was never great in its life. You'd be embarrassed to tell your school pals that you'd actually bought any of the records, or at least I would have been! One Christmas my parents gave me a cassette recorder, and I used to tape everything off the radio, but not the Glitter Band, sorry, no way.

But each to their own, I know a few people who thought the world of them, but not me, nor many folk around me, even at the time.

For dancing to, I like that one "you wanna be in my gang, my gang, my gang, you wanna be in my gang, oh yeaahh". I don't know what it was called though!

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
        mistyhorizon2003posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Maybe it wasn't everyone's cup of tea, but that is a 'taste' thing. Bottom line, the Glitter Band Music was very popular, and for those that liked it they have been penalised from enjoying it in public places (etc), based on what Gary Glitter did afterwards. This isn't about what music you like or don't like, it is about being able to listen to, or request the music you like, in either public or private places! hmm

1. IzzyM profile image87

Yeah I guess you are right.

It had to be banned in public places though. Everytime a Glitter Band song is played, everyone's conversation turned to the rights and wrongs of what Gary Glitter did.

No-one has forgotten.

Probably a public order thing, the banning.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)