A Sons Perspective on Money and Tithing–Part 1
Money Has No Value in the Spirit
How Does a Son of God See Money?
I have endeavoured to blog on this subject for the first time after seven years into my process of crossing over from orphan culture to son culture only because the Holy Spirit was having my mind renewed regarding money and giving, supply and demand, sowing and reaping, blessing and curses. There is an existing theology on these subjects that has a very dominant orphan and worldly perspective. Much of it is scriptural but its interpretation is sadly lacking and falling short of the clarity of a son of God, who depend exclusively on His Father for all things. Over the last seven years, from the instruction and observations of my Spiritual Father, Sam Soleyn and the Baptism of Fire by the Holy Spirit, where both Jennifer, myself and our four children lost everything that we owned or rather the Banks owned, the Father began a process of empting me of everything that I thought I knew about provision and protection which was my preoccupation as an orphan Christian. I believe that generosity is a quality of the mature and therefore believe and practice tithes, offering & first fruit. I come from a financial background, a financial advisor by profession and I ran my own businesses. This blog will not be exhaustive, but will shed light as far as I have seen, and much of what is being redefined still needs time to mature and I am the first to state that this perspective is not a general approach to understanding these things. So let me say at the outset that this is just what I and my Household have discovered by revelation and instruction over the past seven years of life in the Desert trusting my Heavenly Father daily for my provision and protection.
The Rite of Passage:
Heb 12:2, Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, He sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. John 1:12, To many who have received Him, to them gave He the power to become Sons of God, to them that believe on His name. Please note that His name is, “Christ, the Son of God” for this was what Peter by revelation of the Father declared at Caesarea Philippi. To belong to the House of God is a free offer made to all mankind but to rule and reign in your Fathers Kingdom will take a maturing and a reprogramming of one’s mind that is a change of culture. Be not conformed to this world but be he transformed by the renewing of the mind. Let this mind be in you that which was in Christ Jesus… Every son that the Father receives He chastens. Heb 12:5-8 And have you forgotten the exhortation which speaks unto you as unto children, My son, despise not the chastening of the Lord, nor faint when you are rebuked of him: For whom the Lord loves he chastens, and scourges every son whom he receives. If you endure chastening, God deals with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chastens not? But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then you are bastards (not knowing your Father), and are not sons.
The dealing of the Father in the life of His Son is to change His nature and culture, so that He can more accurately represent Him as a Spirit Being in a human container. The problem is that we have been viewing ourselves as human beings having a spiritual experience when in fact we are spirit beings having a human experience. Until you begin to understand your origin as Spirit and that your Heavenly Father is Spirit, then you will begin to ask the right questions, like “What then is the purpose of Spirit Son in a human frame?” This begins to uncover the culture of a Spirit Son. When your identity is inverted then you live no different from the rest of the human race, living each day to secure your own provision and protection, because you have no Father in whom you can trust with those imperatives. You, see God as one whom you need to please by works of sacrifice for a quid pro quo exchange. I must attend all the programs of the Church, I must fast and I pray and give so that when I ask God for something then God is obligated to give me what I want, and I will use scripture, His own words to remind and manipulate Him because God is bound to His word.
We have already answered in previous blogs the question, “What then is the purpose of Spirit Son in creation?” We have concluded that His purpose in creation is to exactly represent His Father to mankind. The Son has need of nothing from the natural man for the exchange of the gift of Eternal Life. He does not come to be served, He comes to serve. How then are we meant to translate this alternate culture in the context of a natural world, were money is required for basic living like food, shelter, transport, clothing, medical care, education etc. Now without my sounding super spiritual, let’s begin to regain the ancient paths of our heritage as sons of God. Are there occasions and incidents in the scriptures that records for us and gives accounts of supernatural intervention from God regarding provision and protection? Off-course there is, we see explosive, jaw dropping happenings in the life of Jesus Christ the Son and the early Apostles and the Old Testament saints. But it seems like the most awesome stuff happened when Jesus was in the earth. Recorded accounts of Him walking on water, walking through walls and doors, feeding the multitudes, raising the dead and healing the sick, blind, deaf and dumb and even fish paying His taxes. Wherever He went signs and wonders followed Him. It is unmistakable that He was touching and living in a dimension of Spirit life that dumb founded most folk, even you and I. My point is this, why could He do the things He did and why has these things become to us almost nonexistent and even if it is happening many account it to soul power. I believe Jesus Christ saw Himself differently, His perspective of who He is changed permanently and that opened a door into the supernatural that allowed Him to function as a Representational Son wielding all the power and authority in heaven and on earth.
Luke 6:13 No servant can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. You cannot serve God and mammon.
John 2:15-17 Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world. And the world is passing away, and the lust thereof: but he that does the will of God abides forever. Overcoming the worlds Babylonian systems allowed Him to shut of the screams of His soul for provision and protection thus allowing Him to clearly hear the voice of His Father. His Spirit brought his soul to excellence which in turn brought his flesh into the subjection to the will of His Father. For He said that He only does what He sees his Father doing and He only says what he hears His Father saying. He concluded his victorious overcoming life by saying, “that Satan has nothing in me” meaning that there was no place in his mind for the enemy to blackmail him from doing the will of His Father. Satan could not lure Him away from His primary eternal purpose.
It is clear that Jesus Christ, the Son of God did not worry about what he will eat, what he will wear and where he will sleep. Did He need these things as a son of man? Absolutely he did. So then it can be concluded that a Son of God needs these things but never spends every waking moment worried about how He would get them because His Father takes care of the things that He needs. The immediate reactions that I get from most people that hear me say this is, “Are you saying that we should not work to buy and pay for those things. Is God going to drop money from the sky to me”? My answer is NO! that is not what I am saying, what I am saying is that you should not let those things become your preoccupation and the sum total of your life, waking everyday to go and secure your provision and protection through your paycheque. Yes you are to go to your place of employment not as another human being but as a Spirit being. As a son of God you are not employed to secure your own provision and protection, you are deployed by your Heavenly Father to your place of employment to put on display the nature and the character of your Father, so that they may see God in you. It’s a complete paradigm shift; it’s this transaction that begins to alter your status from orphan to son. The son understands that he cannot live the God life from natural bread alone but by every word that proceeds out the mouth of His Father, thereby only saying what He hears His Father saying and doing what He sees His Father doing. When obedience to the voice of the Father overrides all other priorities in the natural life then supernatural Spirit life is the outcome.
I am going to communicate to you the altered state of mind regarding the following issues, Tithes / Offerings & First Fruit. I am not going to deal with how much, the frequency and when. Everything must be done with a cheerful heart and as unto the Lord. The underlying principal of a Son is this, your Heavenly Father is your only source pertaining to life and Godliness. You live to do His will and only that and He takes care of the rest of your life. Psalms 2:7 I will declare the decrees of the Lord. The Lord has said to me you are My Son today I have begotten thee. You don’t have to plead and beg with people to give to God and thereby indirectly secure your provision, because truthfully God does not need your money. But what you have to do as a spiritual father is to teach your sons how to trust God and to not manipulate anybody or any situation secure their provision and protection. I will break it down into the orphan mindset and the sons mindset. Because of our default orphan church culture we have viewed scripture through those lenses and have formulated an incomplete Theology. Conversely then in the new season of the Kingdom culture it demands that we need to have a Son Culture and review scripture through those lenses for us to have an illuminated Sons perspective. At this point I must say something that is pertinent to our transitioning. You cannot teach and preach the Theology of Sonship and not change the culture, you will still have immature deficient orphans prattling sonship verbiage with no authority and power of an indestructible, immortal life.
Tithes /Offerings: The Orphan Mindset:
For years I had this point of view on tithing, which finds its fundamental parenthesis with sowing and reaping. Using the Book of Malachi, I understood that if I did not give to God what was His then I am a thief and a robber and that He will send the Devourer to mess up my crops which is translated as my finances. So giving to God meant that I would not be punished and that was the only way to appease his wrath. So I tithed religiously with that mindset. It did not matter if I could not pay my bills, giving to God was my priority and everything else was by the way and the Pulpiteers made sure that they drove that guilt home. I gave under compulsion and out of guilt and fear. Whenever you have guilt and fear in operation then you are functioning from your soul. This is so wrong, but the Church has mortgages to service, staff to compensate, utilities to pay, the Pastor and His family to take care off. So the end justified the means. Now I am all for good living and having quality products and services that cost money, because you get what you pay for, but what this orphan mindset does is that it robs you of your inheritance as a Son of God and you can only receive your inheritance when you come to maturity. So this Church systems maintained orphans and produced very weak Christians that are worldly and driven by their souls. Hence the Church remains stagnant and infantile. To sum up the orphans mindset on tithing;
· It is founded on the Principal of Sowing and Reaping - Works
· It is done to prevent God from unleashing the Devourer on your finances.
· It is done religiously from guilt and fear.
· You think that you are a Manager of Resources, and because you are generating your resources, you have to maintain the flow, hence you are never abundantly generous; you give what you can afford to give.
· You prefer the law of Tithing because it has a defined standard of 10% and once you’re able to reach that threshold then you believe that you doing your part, so you’re okay in Gods measure of righteous giving under the law.
· It reinforces the false premise that God needs your money to get His purposes accomplished in the earth. When in fact the bulk of it is used to defray administrative expenses and maintenance costs and Church programmes. This is premised on having a Church building and Congregation to spread the Gospel of Salvation which is the primary objective of the Church.
· Bigger amounts get more recognition by God and thus increase your bargaining power, totally contrary to Jesus and the widow’s mite.
· You work from the toil and the sweat of your brow because you believe that the earth is cursed and therefore it is okay to crook a deal, buy a favour, and bribe an official. Because if you don’t do that to get the deal then the heathen gets it and gives it to his God. The means justifies the end.
· ORPHAN IN LEADERSHIP- Bring your gifts and money and serve my Call. When you think that your call is equally important than mine then please leave and pursue your call somewhere else. This is my Church, you go and start your own.
· Members are seen as assets generating income, so build a bigger building and put in more seats to increase income, so that we can do more for God.
· Succession plan of the Ministry is to his biological son, no concept of spiritual sons or Fathering, even though he may use the terms frequently.
· Anybody can become a member of this Church, then move on to become a worker and after many years of faithful service, we make you graduate to management.
· Faithfulness equates to perfect meeting attendance, dress code, regular tithing, involvement in Church Programs, completion of the Church Bible Study Course and 100% agreement with what I preach on a Sunday morning, you must be a “YES-MAN”. If you do not agree with my points of view, let me show you the door.
I promise you that there are Pastors of Ministries out there that will encourage this behaviour by saying and preaching the doctrines of demons, that you are either a King or a Priest. If you’re a King then your must make war in the Marketplace and bring back the spoil of your victory and lay it at the Priests feet, who will bless it and make it Holy again and this you can do for it will appease your conscience and remove your guilt, then your pilfering and stealing is being whitewashed over and your “Robin-hood” theatrics of being a man of faith is being announced over the new sound system that you just helped pay for, while you take your place in the Hall of Fame among leadership as one of the “Financial Pillars” in the Church. What utter deception. Do you think that a God of righteousness and justice will allow that?
This is the kind of spiritual diet that an orphan loves to consume because it reinforces his identity and gives him a context for his limited life. It is truly a sad existence when a Son of a King becomes a thief and a slave who lives in lawlessness, so far removed from the potential of his true identity. It is something to lament and weep about. This orphan mindset has produced these results in our life, but the Spirit of Elijah has been unleashed in the earth and the curse is being reversed and our reproach is being removed.
Lamentations 5:1-21 Remember, O LORD, what is come upon us: consider, and behold our reproach.
· Our inheritance is turned to strangers, our houses to aliens.
· We are orphans and fatherless, our mothers are as widows.
· We have drunken our water for money; our wood is sold unto us.
· Our necks are under persecution: we labour, and have no rest.
· We have given the hand to the Egyptians, and to the Assyrians, to be satisfied with bread.
· Our fathers have sinned, and are not; and we have borne their iniquities.
· Servants have ruled over us: there is none that can deliver us out of their hand.
· We get our bread with the peril of our lives because of the sword of the wilderness.
· Our skin was black like an oven because of the terrible famine.
· They ravished the women in Zion, and the maids in the cities of Judah.
· Princes are hanged up by their hand: the faces of elders were not honoured.
· They took the young men to grind, and the children fell under the wood.
· The elders have ceased from the gate, the young men from their music.
· The joy of our heart is ceased; our dance is turned into mourning.
· The crown is fallen from our head: woe unto us, for we have sinned!
· For this our heart is faint; for these things our eyes are dim.
· Because of the mountain of Zion, which is desolate, the foxes walk upon it.
· You, O LORD, remain forever; your throne from generation to generation.
· Wherefore do you forget us forever, and forsake us for so long time?
· Turn us unto You, O LORD, and we shall be turned; renew our days as of old.
Please read Part 2 of this blog for the full discourse.
Grace & Peace
More by this Author
It has been 7 years for me since the new season has visited South Africa, and this new season was re-presented by Apostle Sam Soleyn from USA, and he illuminated another point of view that was missing from the...
Mapping out the journey for our Spiritual Family and the Clan is one of the highest priorities of Spiritual leadership and this takes a tremendous measure of spiritual discipline and
It is really amazing to me how the Father opens up Himself to you in the revelation of the Word and how He is not trying to hide from you the secrets of His person or the affairs of the Kingdom when..