American Girl Doll or Our Generation Doll Review
American Girl Doll Felicity
Our 3 Year Old Wanted the American Girl Doll
I had kind of a struggle nearing Christmas 2013. The struggle was whether to purchase an American Girl 18 inch Doll or a cheaper brand. I had read every review online about both, but in my head a doll is a doll especially when it’s for a 3 year old who clearly doesn’t know anything about value and expenses. I’d pretty much drained myself financially leading up to that time. She kept asking for an American girl doll, and well it’s kind of hard telling a 3 year old no, especially at Christmas.
American Girl and Our Generation Doll Compared
So here’s what I learned during my struggle, she now has an American Girl 18 inch doll the retired Felicity and an Our Generation 18 inch Target brand doll. To me, the similarity of how they’re made is amazing. After studying them both for about 30 minutes trying to figure the big difference besides the price, I figured it out.
- The American Girl 18 inch doll can actually open her legs to a split position,
- The Our Generation doll cannot.
- Both dolls can stand by themselves and sit when bent.
- Both of the dolls feel the same, and it looks as though they’re made of the same material.
- The Generation doll arm’s does not fall straight to its side like the American Girl Doll, but that’s completely unnoticeable.
- Our Generation dolls arms and feet are more flexible which comes in handy when squeezing her into clothing or shoes.
- The American Girl dolls arms, legs, and feet are hard.
- Both can share clothing, although we were unable to put the Our Generation dolls stable outfit boots on the American girl doll because the arms, legs, and feet are not as flexible.
- The Our Generation doll does offer a future problem with tangling hair, but that’s an easy fix.
- The American Girl Dolls hair is not as perfect as was made out to be on numerous reviews.
- We found the American Girl Dolls teeth’s makes her look odd.
- The Our Generation Doll does not show teeth.
Our Generation Doll Won Her Over
In the end, my daughter seemed to take more to the Our Generation doll whose name is Lily Anna by the way. In fact, we purchased both Lily Anna and Shannon our generation dolls, one for my stepdaughter. The purchase price for 2 Our Generation Dolls was still cheaper than that for just one American Girl Doll. Luckily for me us we didn’t purchase the American Girl Doll, we just lucked up on her about a week after Christmas for free and she was in perfect condition. When we brought Felicity home, my daughter was happy to receive her, but not jumping up and down happy like she was when receiving Our Generation Lily Anna.
Both American Girl Doll and Our Generation Doll are Great Choices
Both are terrific brand dolls, sure the hair can be a problem with any doll, but the $40 Our Generation Brand went over much better with my daughter. Also, both dolls come with books and lots of accessories. I think the thing that makes the American Girl doll so amazing with little girls is the name itself and how she’s marketed to be better. If it weren’t for the name I don’t think our little ones would even recognize a great difference. I will be purchasing American Girl dolls in the future because I realize how valuable they become in the long run, but not as a plaything for my daughters.
I forgot to mention that my stepdaughters mother purchased her a just like me American Girl Doll for Christmas which probably led to my daughter wanting one. My stepdaughters American Girl doll spent more time than anything on the floor when she visited for about a week, and that was truly sad. Marketers sure know how to sell kids on things because the American Girl Doll has her own Salon and Clothing Store in Chicago where we live. I have lived here for years, although I have never been to the salon or store. I am planning a summer visit for fun with my daughter as we hardly do one on one outing. I can just imagine what I am going to walk out of that store having purchased, but if I end up overdoing it I will definitely have to check into the shopper’s rehab!
I will upload some photos of the Our Generation Doll Lily Anna Soon!!!
American Girl or Our Generation
Which would you choose for your daughter?See results without voting
© 2014 thelma8809