Civilization 5 Hints and tips: City States
Civ 5 Hints and Tips: City-States
In previous versions of Civilization while exploring you used to come across ‘villages’; these villages often gave you money, technology or units. Civilization 5 has expanded the idea and has separated villages into two distinct entities. The first is ruins that tend to give you technological advances, maps or money. The second and more interesting split is the City-State.
What are City-States?
City-States are self governed states that will protect themselves but do not expand their civilization. Depending on the type of city-state (cultured, maritime, militaristic) you will get different rewards. The city-states will seek protection from other major civilizations (or city states), assistance with local barbarians or request certain luxury items. Depending on your dealings with them they can be friendly, allied or even at war with you.
What is influence?
As you progress through the game you can influence city-states. This can be in a positive or negative way. Giving gifts will increase your influence, while simply moving through their territory can make a city-state angry. This influence also decreases over time, so you need to continue to assist them or ply them with gifts.
You have to be careful when you set units on auto-explore as they will often stray into city-state territory and make them angry, losing you influence.
- Civilization 5 Hints and Tips: Units
Civilization 5 has taken the bold step of removing the unlimited stacking element and instead restricting you to one unit of each type (Military, Naval or Civilian) per hex the exception being air units...
- Civilization 5 Hints and Tips: Cities
If you've played Civilization before you know that the most important thing about the game is the production of cities to increase your empire, create additional revenue, culture and resources and to...
- Civilization 5 Hints and Tips: Social Policies
Civilization 5 has removed many of the government/civic technologies from the technology tree and created the new Social Policy system. Essentially, it's a system that gives you 10 separate trees to...
- Civilization 5 hints and tips: Diplomacy
One of the most useful features of the Civilization games is the ability to encounter other civilizations and to be able to open diplomatic relations with these nations. As the Civ games have developed, the...
- Civilization 5 hints and tips: combat strategy
**Please bookmark - these are my first thoughts on combat - I will update as I develop more complicated strategies.** Combat is perhaps the biggest area in which Civilization has changed. Gone are the days...
- Civilization V Hints and Tips
Quick Review initial thoughts (Tips below) Civilization 5, the latest in the classic Sid Meier series is perhaps the most intuitive game so far. Many are comparing it directly to the console game, and...
What is the benefit of higher influence?
As you become more influential with the city-states and they become friends, they will often give you gifts:
Cultured – will give you a bonus to your culture
Maritime – will give you a gift of food.
Militaristic - will give you military units. Note – you can set the city-state not to give you military units.
Eventually, if you continue to build your influence they will become your ally; they continue to provide the bonuses above, but also let you access their resources. They also will join you in a war if you are attacked, and will help in any UN elections.
City State strategy
- While in the long run it’s more beneficial to perhaps attack and capture the city-states in the early part of a game they can provide resources without the need for you to maintain a city – it helps you focus more on building a strategic position without having to super-expand.
- City-states will form friendships with many civilizations but will only ally with one, so it’s often important to gain a decent relationship with them before any other civilization can, otherwise they can become a thorn in your side. While you can continue to maintain a relationship with city-states by giving gifts this is expensive and maintaining the influence with favors such as clearing out barbarians can be a lot easier and less costly, although be careful this doesn’t divert you from your overall strategies.
- One problem that I noticed immediately was that I had to be careful not to have too many city-state friends. Often one city-state will ask you to attack another city-state thus negating any influence you may have gained –so be careful when you choose to focus on a city-state.
- Interestingly enough a city-state can actually capture enemy cities, although this seems to be infrequent, but it is something to bear in mind as you plan your eventual ‘capture’ of them.
- While you can simply ignore city-states if you want, I find them to be a very important part of the initial empire building and strategy and can really make a difference especially when you are weak. I tend to focus on Militaristic city-states as this gives me quick access to units allowing me to focus on improvements in my cities while creating a defensive force.
- Some City-States have an attitude problem!! This can range from being friendly, hostile, erratic or simply neutral – while this can have an effect on your dealings I find that these attitudes don’t really change much when dealing with them!
Militaristic: Almaty, Belgrade, Budapest, Dublin, Edinburgh, Genoa, Hanoi, Ragusa, Sidon, Tyre
Cultured: Bucharest, Brussels, Florence, Geneva, Lhasa, Monaco, Kuala Lumpur, Seoul, Vienna, Warsaw
Maritime: Cape Town, Copenhagen, Helsinki, Oslo, Rio de Janeiro, Singapore, Stockholm, Venice
More by this Author
- EDITOR'S CHOICE2
This year there are some excellent updates of games making 2013 a great year for the simulation game enthusiast.
- EDITOR'S CHOICE8
Choosing a class is Mass Effect is not easy. Various factors must be considered: are you a beginner? Do you like combat oriented games? are you more into stealth? The chose you make will change the game you play.
Picking an name for an orange cat isn't easy - hopefully this article will give you some good ideas.