Civilization 5 hints and tips: combat strategy
Civilization 5 hints and tips: combat.
Combat is perhaps the biggest area in which Civilization has changed. Gone are the days of creating super stacks and zooming them around your nation wherever needed. In fact, many Avalon Hill fans will love the new combat system as it’s very similar to the old Avalon hill games which were excellent hex based strategy games. The combat is really far more realistic and subsequently it’s a lot more difficult to conquer cities and you’ll definitely find a ‘war’ victory a lot harder but a lot more satisfying. Here are some general tips:
- The more technically advanced your troops the better. Back in Civ 4, you could find a little old spearman holding out against a stack of tanks – this simply wasn’t realistic and was very frustrating! Civ 5 has really made the difference between troops a lot more ’deadly’ so if you’re planning to win via combat, then you really need to build libraries and discover writing very quickly.
- Generals – this seems to be a little bit too powerful for me, but you get a lot of benefit if you can place a Great General next to as many units as possible. Keep your General in the back with one of your ranged units and then keep some strong units in front of the General.
Use of terrain is perhaps one of the most important aspects of Civilization 5 combat and can make the difference between winning and losing a battle.
- Civilization 5 Hints and Tips: Units
Civilization 5 has taken the bold step of removing the unlimited stacking element and instead restricting you to one unit of each type (Military, Naval or Civilian) per hex the exception being air units...
- Civilization 5 Hints and Tips: Cities
If you've played Civilization before you know that the most important thing about the game is the production of cities to increase your empire, create additional revenue, culture and resources and to...
- Civilization 5 Hints and Tips: Social Policies
Civilization 5 has removed many of the government/civic technologies from the technology tree and created the new Social Policy system. Essentially, it's a system that gives you 10 separate trees to...
- Civilization 5 hints and tips: Diplomacy
One of the most useful features of the Civilization games is the ability to encounter other civilizations and to be able to open diplomatic relations with these nations. As the Civ games have developed, the...
- Civiilzation 5 Hints and tips: City States
In previous versions of Civilization while exploring you used to come across villages; these villages often gave you money, technology or units. Civilization 5 has expanded the idea and has separated...
- Civilization V Hints and Tips
Quick Review initial thoughts. (Note - below the review you will find some quick tips. On the right will be a link to some more detailed guides - this is currently a work in progress so please bookmark...
- Strengths – it’s important that you really know the strengths and weakness of your units. Some units don’t get defensive bonuses, so there’s no point placing them in trees – some units are faster so you can use them to try to quickly break down the resistance of a city before your main force goes in!
- Terrain – this is one of the most important and improved parts of the game – using the terrain is huge in battles. Attacking across rivers, up hills or into forests really is not a good thing to do and you will be heavily penalized. So, when defending, placing troops in these type of terrain will be a huge benefit.
- Surround – a little bit obvious, but if you can surround your enemy you get a decent flanking bonus. I would have liked to have seen some really powerful strategic moves, but at least there’s one or two!
- Cities – now that the cities can bombard enemies, attacking a city becomes a lot more difficult, especially if your enemy has built fortifications around the city, and has ranged troops in trees and on hills. It is essential that you time your attack so that all units can quickly move in and after being bombarded do some damage. Makes sure you make good use of any terrain that will allow for ranged attacks or give your troops some defense against the city. Siege engines are far more important as you really need to soften a city before attacking. If possible avoid being in the open – you’re simply going to get hammered!
More by this Author
- EDITOR'S CHOICE0
For once, with one of these type of games, there's no manipulation of a save game or a .ini file to do - all you do is simply press the ~ for a console - then type in the cheat codes .
- EDITOR'S CHOICE8
Choosing a class is Mass Effect is not easy. Various factors must be considered: are you a beginner? Do you like combat oriented games? are you more into stealth? The chose you make will change the game you play.
- EDITOR'S CHOICE20
Microsoft Excel has become the standard spreadsheet for most business use, but with it's functionality and ease of use the advantages of Excel can be used at home as well.