Collecting Vintage and Antique Salt and Pepper Shakers
Salt and Pepper Shakers Are too Cute to Resist
It is easy to understand why collectors love collecting antique and vintage salt and pepper shakers. They are just so darn cute! The salt and pepper shakers come in so many different styles, shapes, sizes and colors. There is sure to be a salt and pepper shaker set that touches the heart of everyone. The salt and pepper shakers can be found by theme like Christmas and Easter. Sterling Silver sets are fun to collect and can be an elegant addition to your table. The shaker sets are broad by maker; Japanese sets, Hoosier sets, Depression Glass sets, and souvenier editions grace the cabinets of collectors.
The size makes them easy to collect. Vintage salt and pepper sets are relatively small. They do not take up a lot of space. A salt and pepper shaker collection is ideal for displaying on a bookcase, kitchen shelving unit or kitchen cabinetry. Buy one set of antique salt and pepper shakers and you care going to want more. Plus, the price is right. Unlike many vinatge and antique collectibles available today, salt and pepper shaker sets are pretty inexpensive. Cute vintage sets can be found stating at the $10 mark.
Collecting salt and papper shakers can be an avenue for starting a child on the path of antique collecting. Kids will get a kick out of collecting vintage salt and pepper shakers because they are made in the shapes of cartoon characters, holiday characters, cute kitten, puppies and farm animal shapes are great for kids, food items like hot dogs are found as salt and pepper shakers. Letting your child scout out salt and pepper shakers while you hunt for antiques is a great way to keep them from getting bored. You will have fun helping them find a tiny salt and pepper shaker treasure, too!
Collecting Salt and Pepper Shakers
- Japanese salt and pepper shakers can be vintage starting from about the 1940s. Often they are porcelein bisque but occassionaly wood is used to produce these sets. They can be figurial like a set of hopping frogs or more esthetic like a pair of painted flower vases. Nippon produces salt and pepper shakers. Mainly, vintage japanese salt and pepper shakers will be stamped with the word "Japan" on the bottom of the salt and pepper set.
- Chinese salt and peppr shakers have been made in a wide variety and you can find many Chinese salt and pepper shakers when looking to add to your collection. The material most commonly used will be ceramic or porcelein.
- Hoosier salt and pepper shakers are often stove sets. They can be made from milk glass, jadite glass, blue glass or clear glass and are functional sets as opposed to figural, cute salt and pepper sets. They are collectible because of the Hoosier fame. Hoosier is a cabinet company from Indiana.
- Cartoon salt and pepper sets are fun. Look for Disney sets often produced as souveniers for visits to Disneyland and Disney World. Mickey, Minnie, Pluto, Donlad Duck and more! Looney Toons sets include the Tasmanian Devil, Tweety, Elmer Fudd and all of your favorites. These are usually ceramic sets.
- Sterling Silver salt and pepper shakers can be ornate with exquisite detail and inlays or just simple with a glass base and silver top. Shapes include flowers, animals and standard salt and pepper sets. Sometime the pepper shaker is actually a pepper mill and silver bird shakers may rest on an ornate silver base shaped like a branch or nest. These are fun yet elegant additions to your collection.
Where to Buy Your Salt and Pepper Sets
Vintage and antique salt and pepper sets pop up all over the place. At tag sales, garage sales, flea markets, antique shows, antique shops and of course, Ebay! Shopping on Ebay is an easy way to add to your collection. Buy from a rated seller who gives you the option to return.
When shopping at flea markets and shows foryour antique salt and pepper shakers sets, you will not have the option of returning the item. However, because the price is usually resonable and you are buying because you found a set you could not resist, returns should not be an issue.
Vintage salt and pepper shakers make great gifts for the avid collector. They are great wedding shower gifts, birthday gifts and Mother's Day gifts. Have fun giving and collecting vintage and antique salt and pepper shakers and be sure to include the kids!
Cute Salt and Pepper Shakers
Salt and Pepper Shaker Museum - Gatlinburg, TN
Beyond Salt and Pepper
- Brimfield Antique and Collectible Show
The Brimfield Antiques and Collectibles show in Brimfield, Massachusetts is held twice annually and is one of the largest outdoor antique and collectible shows in the country. Approximately 250,000 visitors come to see this antique show spectacle.
- Pretty Miss Vintage - A Plethora of Collectibles
If it is vintage and collectible you will want to know about it. Vintage items are reviewed, discussed, defined, and displayed just for you! Vintage is hot. You won't miss a vintage beat with Pretty Miss Vintage.
More by this Author
When collecting vintage cameras it is best to have some background knowledge in order to protect yourself from purchasing a camera with little or no value. Arm yourself with this hub.
Petrol or gas enamel signs are highly collectible. Found out what makes these sought after, what to look for and where to get great information regarding vintage gas memorabilia.
Would you like to become a tattoo artist? Learning how to tattoo is a good fit as a career choice or hobby for the artistically inclined. Here are the essentials every beginner needs to know.