Dark Souls II Walkthrough, Part Thirty-Nine: Shrine of Amana - Demon of Song
The worst of the Shrine of Amana is past, though you're not out of the water yet. The singers thus far have been pleasant - but now, waiting ahead, is a musical creature so huge and so foul you'll wish you'd never set foot down here.
On the plus side? Cooked frog legs are delicious.
Shrine of Amana
- Carry on past the Rhoy's Resting Place Bonfire. A short ways further down the path you'll run into another batch of poisonous crawlers, one of them much larger than normal. It sprays gas before you can reach it; if you can manage, kill it at a range.
- In the next large area you'll immediately come under magical attack, and there will be another joining the first when you try to move to attack range. These guys are seemingly in the open, but they're watched over by numerous lurkers in the water. Light a torch to better target these things before they can ambush you. A third magic users sits in arches to the left, and will only open fire if you enter the circle of stones. A powerful magic-using invader will appear in this area after you enter the middle; rush him with physical attacks. He'll drop a Soul of a Brave Warrior and a Petrified Dragon Bone upon defeat.
- Check around once the place is clear for a Red Iron Twinblade, a Soul of a Proud Knight, a Homing Crystal Soulmass, and a Skeptic's Spice.
- Pass through the ruins to find a house. Outside, beside some fallen arches, is a Large Soul of a Proud Knight and a Green Blossom. Inside the house is another singer girl, but she'll vanish if you speak to her. Huh. In the basement is a mist door, and unlike the last, this one does lead to a boss. Prepare thyself!
Demon of Song
Well isn't that just bizarre. A massive frog with the face of a human beneath its skin, the Demon of Song is not quite as tough as it looks, though you must still be cautious. Utterly invulnerable when appearing only as an amphibian, the Demon of Song will only take damage when attacked on its face or its arms. The face and arms only come out when it attacks, so this can be somewhat perilous. Nevertheless, this battle isn't so bad. You can expect the following attacks:
- A simple slap down. The Demon of Song smashes its hands against the water of its pond.
- A raised slap down. The Demon of Song rises up and flops down onto you at full length. Wait for it to get high into the air and start coming down before you dodge. It will lay out full beside you, opening its arms up to easy attack.
- A charging attack. The Demon of Song will fold up into its froggish exterior and bolt forward. Dangerous, but it usually gets to the other side of the arena before doing this, so you have lots of time to react.
- A water-spitting attack. The Demon of Song backs off and spits a volley of water balls at you. Roll to avoid. If you stay close to the thing you won't see this attack too often.
The battle is pretty much as you'd expect. Lock on to the Demon of Song, get in close, wait for an attack, dodge, and smack it a few times. Back off a bit and repeat. Its attacks are all fairly basic, and the time it takes for the Demon to bring its face out of hiding gives you a few moments to react. Just don't get too gutsy and attack while the face is coming out, or you probably won't have time to avoid its subsequent assault.
- Besting the Demon of Song will earn you the Demon of Song Soul and the Key to the Embedded. It also opens a path at the rear of the pond. Go through and you'll be back in the main cavern of the Shrine.
- Make for the building ahead. There's an obvious door ahead, and a small, less-noticeable path through the water to the right. Follow the right path and it will lead you to the last Bonfire of the area, Rise of the Dead.
- Climb the tower. At the top you'll find a door. Push it open and kill the three crawling ghouls that lurk just outside. Follow the cliff's edge beyond here and you'll come under attack from afar; a creature much akin to a certain easy boss you fought earlier is by another, similar tower. Rush over and take it down.
- Check inside the next tower. Another lass here will give you a Divine Blessing and a Smooth & Silky Stone if you speak to her enough, and you can pray at the shrine she watches over. If you save the girl from the cage at the top of Drangleic Castle using the Key to the Embedded you just found, you can speak to this girl again and she'll give you a Fire Seed. (You'll also receive a Ring of the Dead, which is... aesthetically handy?)
- Descend the tower and look for a Fire Seed beneath the staircase, then climb back up.
- That's all for here. Return to the Bonfire and head to the door you ignored earlier. It leads to a lift, and lift will take you down... down... down... to Undead Crypt. Sounds chipper.
More by this Author
Last on The Banner Saga walkthrough we look at random events, those unpredictable problems which will plague your caravan to no end by eating up all your hard-won supplies! Yaaaaay!
In this section of the Sunless Sea walkthrough we get a first look at the game's most basic mechanics. Zeeward ho!
The browser-based classic has a sequel! Check out this Candy Box 2 walkthrough for all the details on besting this cool text-based experience!