Dragon Age 2 cheats, hints and tips & how to enable the Dragon Age 2 cheat console for the PC
Dragon Age 2 cheats
Dragon Age 2 is a decent game, but some of the battles are very hard. Therefore you may need some Dragon Age 2 Cheats; you can use them by enabling the Dragon Age 2 cheats console.
Before I tell you how to enable the Dragon Age 2 cheat console, here's a brief review of Dragon Age 2.
Dragon Age 2 is the sequel to the highly successful Dragon Age game. It features excellent graphics, very good sound and a very deep and immersive plot. It has improved the mechanics over the previous game, but still presents the player with some decent challenges and the use of decent strategy becomes important.
Bioware have yet again set the standard by which all other fantasy role playing games will be judged and only the release of Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim is likely to provide any real challenge this year.
Realizing that some players will have difficulty with the game, Bioware have left access to a cheat console that can be used to assist the player throughout the game. Personally I'd only use it to get through difficult parts of the game! The Dragon Age 2 Cheats console is very easy to implement, please see the simple instructions below - feel free to ask any questions in the comments section.
How to enable the Dragon Age 2 cheat console
Dragon Age 2 Hints and Tips
Talk to members of your party
As with Dragon Age Origins, it’s important to continually talk to your party members. This usually means visiting them at their residence, but you can also gain hints and tips as you chat to them throughout the game.
Combat Tips for Dragon Age 2
- Strategy is very important in Dragon Age 2. Some quests require different styles of party. Where you require stealth you’ll probably want to focus on characters with high Sneak stats.
- Many battles will require a combination that includes at least one ranger and one mages; quite often you can use these characters to pick of the opposition mages and rangers.
- Concentrate firepower – I find that if I have two characters concentrating on one enemy at a time I tend to do a lot better. I try to get to the enemies mage as soon as possible, although where there is a very tough opponent I’ll split my firepower.
- Pause often – the pause button is one of the most useful tools and often gives you chance to check out the battle and amend resources as needed.
- Know your allies – use of the tactics element of the game is needed for easier battles – knowing exactly what your computer controlled allies are going to do is important, and allows you to control the battle even though you can’t control all characters at the same time.
- Ambush – try and lead tough enemies into ambushes – you can achieve this by advanced use of tactics and by ‘holding’ some characters , while others lead the enemies to the ambush.
- Don’t rush through the main quest – take time to finish the smaller quests as you’re going to need those extra levels as you progress to the main challenges of the game.
- Try and workout your character’s leveling strategy before you start. Messing around and not focusing on leveling often leads to a weaker character.
How do I enable the Dragon Age 2 Cheat Console?
To be able to use the Dragon Age 2 cheats you must enable the Dragon Age 2 Cheat Console (actually it's a developers console but is generally used to cheat!)
The Dragon Age console cheat below works on Windows 7 and should work on Windows Vista. They work on the digitally dowloaded version but may not work on the steam version. Any updates to the game may negate the cheats. Please note that you should always backup save files before attempting to use cheat codes.
If you have previously cheated on the original Dragon Age game then you'll be happy to hear that the method is basically the same.
Amend DragonAge2.exe shortcut
(Do not amend the icon that may automatically be added to the desktop)
Make a shortcut to the file DragonAge2.exe
- Browse to the folder “C:\Program Files (x86)\Dragon Age2\bin_ship” (on older versions of windows this may be in the Program File folder). (See Screen Shot 1)
- Right click on the file DragonAge2.exe and select 'send to desktop'
- Locate the shortcut on the desktop, right click and add -enabledeveloperconsole to the end of the target. IMPORTANT - the minus sign must be included otherwise this will not work! (See Screen Shot 2)
- The target should be either:
“C:\Program Files (x86)\Dragon Age\bin_ship\DragonAge2.exe” -enabledeveloperconsole
“C:\Program Files\Dragon Age\bin_ship\DragonAge2.exe” -enabledeveloperconsole
The Dragon Age 2 cheat console is now enabled!
Note: for steam version the DragonAge2.exe is in a different folder:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\dragon age ii\bin_ship\DragonAge2.exe
Use above method on this file.
Use console while playing
- Load your most recent save game
- Save it as a different save game - thus you still have your 'un-cheated' game if you want to go back
- Press the ~ key - note do not use shift. You will not that the screen effectively freezes - there is a hidden cheat console. Start typing the cheat codes below - be very accurate and press ENTER after.
A couple of points:
- I do not know if this works on a non-US keyboard. Let me know if it doesn't and I'll add details on how to amend the key bindings so you can set your own cheat key!
- So far I've only found a couple of cheat codes - I'll add more as I find them.
Editing the kebindings.ini
On some machines the default ~ key will not open the console. You can change the keybinding to the console and use a different key to access the Dragon Age 2 cheat console:
- Using Windows Explorer find the folder: C:\Users\xxxxxx\Documents\bioware\daII\settings where xxxxxx is your username on the computer (you can also simply go to the Documents folder)
- Make a copy of the keybindings.ini file.
- Edit the keybindings.inin file and look for the line: OpenConsole_0=Keyboard::Button_Grave
- Change this line to: OpenConsole_0=Keyboard::Button_F12
- (You can use any hot key you want - use one that is not already used by the game)
- Save the file.
Use this key instead of the ~ key in the above instructions
Important Note: some of the cheat codes below (example the XP one) cannot be used during combat).
Known Cheat Codes
runscript addxp X
Change the X to a number and all characters receive this amount of XP
Infiinite Health - select a character and use this code - this character only has infinite health - he/she will still lose health but it will never drop below zero.
runscript addmoney X
adds X copper pieces
runscript injury remparty
removes all injuries from entire party
heals entire party
opens an approval window - allows changes to approval and romance settings
runscript dbg_setattrib [attrib] [value]
gives a temporary buff to the selected attribute (1-STR etc)
Screen Shot 1 - make a desktop icon
Screen Shot 2 - amend the desktop icon target
More by this Author
Choosing a class is Mass Effect is not easy. Various factors must be considered: are you a beginner? Do you like combat oriented games? are you more into stealth? The chose you make will change the game you play.
Dragon Age has an in-built cheat console that will help you win some of the hardest battles.
Microsoft Excel has become the standard spreadsheet for most business use, but with it's functionality and ease of use the advantages of Excel can be used at home as well.