Grand Theft Auto V Walkthrough: Risk Assessment
Location: Northern Vinewood Hills
Unlocked After: Caida Libre
Some guys just like to take life to the EXTREEEEEEEME, and Dom is one of those guys. Kind of a less-repressed, more optimistic Mary Ann, Dom first meets Franklin while hanging upside down in a tree - and from that point on, Dom is bent on making Franklin's life just a little more EXTREEEEEEEME.
Okay, maybe a lot more.
- Head for the waypoint in the north of Vinewood Hills. It's more or less in the middle of nowhere, out in the middle of nowhere. You're looking for a golden retriever at the side of the road.
- Watch the very silly cut scene.
- Follow the dog as it runs down the nearby trail. He and Franklin will have… quite… a conversation.
- Approach the guy in the tree. Another cut scene ensues.
- Follow Dom down the hill to the next waypoint. It happens to be a helicopter. (Get in the proper side or he'll be very upset.) You can skip the subsequent conversation if you want. (Hit the button when the conversation stops. Past a certain point the helicopter just rises quietly.)
- Jump out of the helicopter. 'bout time. If you've parachuted before - even if you haven't - this part is fairly straightforward. Focus on the yellow spot marked on the mountain far below. Sweep hapless Franklin around the landing point in loose circles so you're aimed right at it as he's coming down.
- Get on the bike once you've landed.
Now comes one of the most brutal races in the game. You need to make it down the mountain and try to beat Dom in a biking duel-to-the-not-so-death-but-could-end-that-way-if-you're-not-careful. Here are some tips for getting to the bottom in one piece, and potentially winning.
- Get a sense for your bike. Even if you've ridden on a bike before, you might be surprised at the somewhat poor cornering on this thing. It's either too abrupt or not abrupt enough. Whenever you make a turn, gently tug the joystick in the intended direction. Try to go too steep for too long and you'll fly off the track.
- The first part of the trip, down the steepest part of the mountain, is easily the most dangerous. Avoid pedalling during this part! Let the mountain's inclines carry you! The last thing you need while trying to make sharp turns is more speed.
- Pay attention to Dom's prompts. He might be obnoxious, but he's good at warning you about what's coming up. This is especially true of one very hairy section early on and an incredibly steep corner near the halfway point. It's also important to know when jumps are coming up, though only insofar as you don't panic when you hit one.
- Early on, you might as well resign yourself to death if you go off the trail. It's very difficult to recover. That said, you can easily recover once you're on the grass and leave the trail, and in some cases you can get some nice shortcuts if you cut across the greenery. This is especially true right at the end of the race, where there's one corner leading to the goal which you can zip right across and gain a lot of time on Dom.
- Don't consider this a race until you reach the green slopes. Once you're done here you have a lot more room to maneuver. Prior to this… focus on living. You'll have plenty of time to catch up to Dom.
Gold Medal Completion
Free Faller - Fall for seven seconds before opening the parachute. One one thousand, two one thousand, three…
Big Air - Get two seconds of air while on the bike. There are plenty of jumps. You'll have your opportunity at one point or another.
Downhill King - Win the bicycle race against Dom. Apparently Rockstar wasn't cruel enough to force its racers to beat Dom just to complete the race, but, really, winning isn't so bad once you reach the slopes at the base of the mountain. Use the open areas to pick up a lot of speed, and cut across trail and grass alike to make up time lost on the slopes. Dom doesn't go insanely fast at any point, and so long as you don't fixate on taking the lead you can easily claim it in the final stretch of the race.
More by this Author
Trevor's a busy dude, but he always has time to wreak havoc in suburbia. This Grand Theft Auto V walkthrough covers the locations of the signs he has to destroy in Vinewood.
It may be the first place you really get to explore in LEGO City, but Cherry Tree Hills, like most sections of the city, can't be fully explored until you beat the game. There are a lot of little things to pick up here...
A Dark Room is a long, complex browser-based game with a ton of waiting involved. Help minimize your already minimalistic journey with this walkthrough.
No comments yet.