Fix a Bent or Stretched Plastic Slinky Toy
The Plastic Slinky Quick-Fix
Is your plastic slinky-type toy all bent out of shape and stretched out? Tangled or kinked? Bring new life to many such toys of all sizes and shapes: mini slinks, star-shaped slinks, whatever shape plastic slinky you've got.
First, untangle the slinky (if it is tangled). Then, spend a few minutes in the kitchen with a microwave and hot water and you'll be happy and springy again--and so will the kids! A neat trick, but it's only for grown-ups to do due to the use of the microwave oven and hot water.
Get More Play out of Your Kid's Plastic Slinky Toy
If your kids have one of those plastic slinky toys and it is all stretched out and bent out of shape, don't throw it away before trying this easy repair--you've got nothing to lose.
Note that this procedure only works with the PLASTIC slinkies, not with the metal ones.
- Locate a microwavable bowl that is large enough to hold the slinky toy.
- Fill the bowl with water deep enough to cover the top of the slinky.
- Microwave the bowl of water (without the slinky in it) until it is nearly boiling hot.
- Carefully take the bowl of water out of the microwave oven and place it on a heat-proof surface such as a hot pad.
- Using cooking tongs, a spoon, etc., carefully place the slinky in the water being very careful not to get burned by splashing water.
- After a few seconds in the heated water, use your tongs to quickly remove the slinky.
- Again being careful not to get burned, reshape the slinky by simply pressing the plastic back into its original shape and holding it there.
- Wait until the plastic cools down to room temperature before testing to see the results.
Have you tried this method to fix a plastic slinky?See results without voting
If you tried this procedure, did it work? (Don't expect perfection, just play-ability).See results without voting
- Repeat steps 5 - 8 if the slinky isn't in the correct shape.
- If the slinky refuses to bend, either leave it in the hot water for a longer period of time or re-heat the water to a hotter temperature or both.
The slinky may not look brand-new when you are done, but this process should at least allow your kids to play with it again.
Other How-To Projects You May Be Interested In
- How to Remotely Make Sure Your Garage or Shed Door is Closed
Do you forget and leave the garage door open overnight? Do you have kids? Do you get up at night and check the garage door? Install an affordable garage door monitor--it's an easy DIY project.
- Iron Faster: Make A Custom Ironing Board Shape
Cut your ironing time significantly by making a simple, custom ironing board to tackle a bunch of your clothes. A custom ironing board saves you time and you'll always look great in pressed clothes.
- Sheer Panels Make Inexpensive No-Sew Window Curtains or Mirror Dressings: It's Easy!
Simple, affordable, and fun window coverings you can do in an afternoon with no knowledge of sewing or drapery and without special tools (if a curtain rod is already there). Hang a mirror--decorate!
About the Author
Information about the author, a list of her complete works on HubPages, and a means of contacting her are available over on ==>Laura Schneider's profile page. But wait--please leave ratings and any comments you have about this article so that it can be improved to best meet your needs. Thank you!
All text, photos, videos, and graphics in this document are Copyright © 2013 Laura D. Schneider unless indicated otherwise or unless in the public domain. All rights reserved. All trademarks and service marks are the property of their respective owners.
More by this Author
The answer key to the HubPages-Themed Crossword Puzzle. Fun, not too hard (I think), and contains good reminders for all writers.
This crossword puzzle is all about writing HubPages articles, but writers in general will like it, too. How well can you do?
How to keep inexpensive jewelry from leaving green or black tarnish marks on your skin. Works for most costume jewelry, fashion jewelry, fake jewelry, wholesale fashion jewelry, and so on.