League of Legends Best Top Lane Champions
League of Legends has many top lane choices and this guide is intended to help you choose what champions to play and what champions are the strongest champions with the best skill sets. When choosing a champion to play you want to be sure this champion is idol and can provide enough damage and utility to win team fights and win games. Who doesn't want to win games?
Vi is an strong pick and excels really well at taking down enemy carries. Her ultimate is the worst nightmare of a carry because there is really nothing you can do to stop it. Using her effectively, however, involves combining her ultimate with other ultimate in order to take down key targets.
Akali can be devastating in the top lane because she has really high burst damage and spell vamp. The problem is that she is somewhat vulnerable at early stages in the game. The key to beating Akali is to take advantage of her early game weakness and shut her down before she gets strong.
Malphite is considerably broken at the moment. Not only does Malphite have a great ultimate that can disable an entire team, but he also has an attack speed de-buff the can be extremely useful disabling carries and attack speed heavy teams.
- Who to pick Malphite against? Pick Malphite vs attack damage bruisers in the top lane or champions revolve around attack speed. This champs include Jax, Irelia, Olaf, Jarvan, Master Yi, and Wukong.
- Who to not pick Malphite against? Champions like Kennen or Vlad can really shut down Malphite and make it extremely hard to survive in lane. Kennen combined with auto attacks and magic damage can shut you down and make it hard to farm.
Kayle is really good at harassing and doing damage to other top laners while staying relatively safe behind her long range. Her ultimate is also very powerful in protecting carries and making the enemy waste abilities. You are able to give your carry invisible status in team fights, but you have to make sure that you are using the ability on time and on the proper target.
Riven has always been a strong pick top because of her strong burst and high damage early. Riven can dive in and do damage and exit with a shield making it very easy to win trades. That what is all about winning trades. Riven is very hard to gank and very hard to counter making her a great top lane.
- Champions Riven counters: Yorick, Jarvan, Irelia, Gangplank. Riven beats this champs rather easily.
- Champions that counter Riven: Kennen, Tryndamere.
When playing Riven the key is to be really aggressive and try to deny the enemy as much as possible. Riven is one of the most powerful early game champs and taking advantage of that will be your key to success. She is also very strong when she gets her ultimate so engaging at 6 is usually a good idea.
One of the strongest top laner in the game and also one of the best assassins in the game. Kha is able to make it into the team fight stealthy and take out targets. Also, the refresh on his jump allows him high mobility and easy escape/engage. Really strong pick and a must learn for the novice top laner.
Shen is a monster in the top lane due to his tankiness and his ability to sway fights and have a presence across the map. Not only does he have a great ultimate he also has an aoe taunt that can win team fights.
- Champions that Shen counters: Irelia, Malphite, Kennen.
- Champions that counter Shen: Olaf, Teemo, Yorick.
Shen is a great top laner and to use him effectively you have to time your ult right and watch the map. He is a monster once you learn the ropes. You want to make sure you can last hit with Shen and use his shield to block damage when you trade. He is really effective and staying in lane and farming. Overall he is a very safe laner with a strong late game.
Darius one of the best top lanes. He just brings so much damage to the table and is a real monster if he gets ahead. He is one of the most snowball champions in the top lane and can sway games in your teams favor if he gets fed. Also, he can farm from a distance with his q, but this does however push the lane and can leave you vulnerable.
- Darius can be very weak at early levels especially against champions with strong poke. It is important that you choose the trades you do and make sure that you do more damage than you take. Once you get your ultimate you can go in and take advantage of your extremely high damage.
- Darius is countered by champions like Yorick that can pole him from a distance and harass him out of lane.
Elise has proven to be quite a terror in the top lane. She is able to poke at champions really well and her ultimate allows her to be a little tanky. The key with her is to poke with her venom without allowing the enemy laner to trade with you. I found her rather easy to play. If you are good at mid champions and not a very good top lane she is definitely a good pick. I also see a lot of potential to pull of a lot of cool plays with her.
- Harass with your venom and make sure that you trade more damage than you take. You want to make sure that you are very aggressive early so you can take advantage of your poke.
- Counters: I did not see many champions that are able to counter her. I would say a mage like vlad can compete and trade with her pretty well. Overall strong pick at the moment.
Ever since they gave Cho that slight buff he has been a strong pick all around. Not only is he really good in the top lane but also in the mid and the jungle. His sustain is great and his feast is really, really strong.
- One of the stronger champions in the top lane. He really isn't hard countered by anyone. He is an overall safe pick.
- Make sure you can last hit well with Cho so you can take advantage of his passive. The better you are at hitting those the more sustain you will have and the better you will be at laning.
Other Strong Top Laners.
- Xin Zhao
- Lee Sin
- Get My Pro League of Legends Guides now in the Kindle Store
The best and most extensive League of Legends Guides on the market. These guides will give you all the tips you need to take your game to the next level and start carrying your teammates.
- A Guide to Playing League of Legends Ranked Games
Tips and trick to help aid the performance in ranked games. Ways to improve play and gain a higher elo.
- How to Raise Elo League of Legends
Guide on gaining precious elo. Tips tricks and methods for people of all skill levels
- Best Champions to Carry Ranked Games in League of Legends
List of champions great for carrying ranked games.
- League of Legends Secret Over Powered Champions
List of a few sleeper champions in League of Legends that are overpowered and overlooked by many.
- League of Legends How to Play Support
In depth guide on playing support in League of Legends as well as tips to improve your support play.
- 10 Tips that Will Raise Your Elo in League of Legend...
10 tips that will help you raise elo in league of legends
- League of Legends 10 Things Keeping You From Gaining...
10 things that could be holding you back in ranked games in League of Legends. Tips on how to gain elo and win games.
- League of Legends How to Win Ranked Games
tips on winning ranked games and being a cool carry pro
- League of Legends Best Streamers
List of the best streamers in League of Legends
- League of Legends Best Champions For Beginners
List of the best champions for beginners to play in League of Legends
- League of Legends How to Get to Platinum Elo
Tips on getting to high elo in league of legends. Important aspects of high elo players and what they do better than low elo players.
- How to Carry Ranked Games as Support League of Legen...
Tips and tricks on how to carry games as support in League of Legends
- League of Legends Stop Blaming Your Jungler
Information on how to get better at League of Legends and stop blaming your jungler.
- How to Carry Ranked Games As Ranged Carry In League ...
How to carry your team as ranged carry in League of Legends. How to win ranked games as ad carry.
- League of Legends 10 Pro Player Attributes
10 of the attributes of the top League of Legends players. Qualities of top tier League of Legends players.
- Best Late Game Champions League of Legends
List of the best late game champions in League of Legends and tips on playing them. Best late game carries.
- League of Legends Best Champions For 1300 IP
List of the best champions for 1350 IP. The top 1350 IP champions.
- League of Legends Best Roaming Mid Champions
A list on the best roaming mid champions and information on what makes them good. The top qualities of roaming mid champions and how to be a good roaming mid.
- League of Legends Best Junglers
List of the best junglers in league of legends. The strengths and weaknesses of the junglers in League of Legends.
- League of Legends 10 Hardest Champions to Play
List of 10 champions with this highest skill cap in League of Legends.
- The Reason League of Legends has so Much Negativity ...
List of the reasons League of Legends has negativity and rage in ranked games.
- League of Legends 10 Worst Champions
list of the worst champions in League of Legends.
- League of Legends Guide to Warding
How to use wards and guide to warding. The importance of warding in League of Legends and how to get the most out of your wards.
- How to Carry Ranked Games With Mid Lane
How to become a better mid lane and how to win ranked games with mid lane.
- League of Legends Counters List
List of the champions of league of legends and their counters. Information on how to counter champions in lol.
- League of Legends Understanding the Meta
The explanation of the current meta in league of legends.
More by this Author
List of the champions with the best crowd control in League of Legends and why crowd control is so important.
Intense guide on the tips and tricks of mid lane. Information on playing mid lane and how to be a successful mid.
In depth guide on playing support in League of Legends as well as tips to improve your support play. Everything you need to know about the support role and how to play support like a pro.