Lego Birthday Party Game Ideas
Game Ideas Included:
We are Legoland fanatics (my mom lives nearby) and we have had lots of Lego parties. This article gives instructions for our favorites:
1. Car Racing
2. Master Builder's Challenge
3. Quick Lego Building Games
4. Lego Trivia Gams
Legoland Racing GameClick thumbnail to view full-size
Car Race Game
If you have a Lego car building and racing game at your birthday party, you may not have to plan much else. Kids (and adults) can become very engrossed with building and altering their car to see if it can go faster, straighter and better down the ramp. This game is based on the Legoland CA build and test room.
- Set of 4 wheels and axles for every player (if you don't have enough, kids can work in teams, or you can ask your guests to bring their own set of wheels!).
- Assorted Lego bricks for building cars (including platform bricks for base).
- Ramp (we made ours from a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood).
- Tape (masking, electrical or duct tape for marking starting line and placement of cars).
- Starter (yardstick or a 1 x 2-inch board).
- Set up the ramp so that it is at an angle. We put ours on the couch. Adjust a bit ahead of time to see what angle makes the cars go down best.
- If you use a dry erase board like we did, you can draw lines for the cars. If you use a plane board then put a line of tape at the starting and finishing lines. Also, make "lanes" of tape above the starting line for players to put their cars into.
- Put various buckets of Legos out for the kids to use to build their cars. The more Lego, the better!
How to Race
Give players a set of wheels and these instructions:
- Players take their wheels and build any sort of car they want, but their car has to fit into the slots on the ramp.
- When they are finished building their car, they can go to the ramp for a test run against whoever else is finished with their car.
- To race, put the starting board down on the starting line tape. Players put their card in between the spaces marked by tape.
- At "ready, set, go!" the people holding the starting board lift it up and the cars will roll down the ramp. The winner is the one who crosses the finish line first.
- After racing, the players can change their car, or race again.
Prizes for Winners
Winning the races is part of the fun, but many times kids have even more fun designing and re-designing their car. At Legoland, we've seen grown men spend hours building cars in the racing center! Like I said, you may not need any other games at your party if you play this one!
- Picture Prize: Take a Picture of the kids with their favorite car design and print it out to take home, or send it in the thank you note.
- Lego Cars: If you can, you might let the kids take home the cars they've designed, which is probably the favorite prize!
- Lego Prizes: Another fun prize is to give the kids Lego Candy in a small bag, or a small Lego set.
- Certificates or Ribbons: We have fun watching the different cars and thinking up prize categories like:
- fastest car
- most unique car
- coolest car
- biggest car
- craziest car design.
Sometimes we've made certificates ahead of time or given out ribbons or Lego party favors.
Fun Prize Categories
Best Use of (any color) Bricks
Most Interesting Design
Used the most (fewest) bricks
Fastest or Slowest
Best Interpretation of Theme
Best at Describing your Design
Best Name for Creation
Best Unfinished Design!
How old will most of your Lego Party goers be?See results without voting
Master Builders Challenge Game
What is a Lego party without time to build with Legos? At Legoland, they have several areas of the park devoted just to building, with plenty of Lego in buckets, comfortable seats, and theme ideas to get everyone started, and talks by master builders that give tips for. Host your own Master Builder's Challenge and enjoy watching your guests have a great time talking and making amazing creations!
- Large shallow containers for Legos--make sure there is plenty of room to shuffle around the Lego.
- Lots of assorted Lego bricks divided into the containers (if you don't have enough, you can invite party-goers to BYOL (Bring Your Own Lego).
- A Building Challenge Idea.
- Tables and chairs for kids to sit on while building.
- A place to display the creations (you might want to have a table with a special tablecloth to show off the finished creations).
- Index cards and pens (for kids to write the name of their creations on).
Master Builders Lego Building Game
Instructions for Master Builder Challenge
- Tell the party goers that you are going to give then a chance to become a Master Builder by completing a challenge. Give them the theme of the challenge and the amount of time they will have to build.
- Set the ground rules. If you are worried that your group may have trouble sharing, you may want to have them use only the pieces in their bowl (or maybe have them ask to borrow from others). Or you might want to have them switch bowls every few minutes to mix things up. Generally, we find that it works well just to explain that Master Builders are all working together to help everyone make the best creations they can.
- Let the Build begin! After they finish their creations, have them take an index paper and fold it in half to make a display card. Have them write the name of their creations and tell a little bit about it.
- Let everyone admire the creations. Let each Master Builder explain what their creation is and how they thought up the idea.
- Take pictures of each Master Builder with their creation.
- You can award prizes or certificates. See the Creative Prize Categories list for ideas, or make up your own.
- We often put the creations on top of the birthday cake, or around it before we sing "Happy Birthday!"
Monster Master Building Challenge
Master Builder Challenge Ideas
person (not minifig)
your favorite thing
something you can wear
SNOT Lego Building Technique
Master Builder Videos
The number one thing most Lego fans want to know is how to become a Master Builder. Luckily, there are many videos online like the one below which help kids to learn the techniques Master Builders use to create. A great birthday party activity is to let the kids watch one of these videos before doing their own Master Build Game.
Quick Lego Games
Fast Lego Party Games
Here are some quick games you can use to fill in the time or while you are waiting for other people to arrive:
Tallest Stack: An easy and fast game is to find out who can build the tallest Lego structure. Have kids work alone or in teams of 2-3. Give them a time limit (5-10 minutes) and tell them that at the end it is the tallest building that wins. You can have them use just regular bricks or let them use anything you have available. Make sure they have a sturdy surface to build on. This is a game even the youngest Lego players can do with Duplo bricks.
Best Bridge: This is a good team game. Set two tables about 1-2 feet apart (farther apart for older kids) and tell them that the goal is to build a bridge of Lego bricks that spans the gap. Give them a time limit. If they have trouble, give them the hint that they may need to support from the bottom and top. You can give a special prize to the ones who finish first.
Knock em' down: Kids love this one and it can be a great ending game. Have kids make Lego figures and then set them up on poles (as we did) or on top of buckets or just on the ground. Let the kids take turns knocking those figures down by rolling balls to hit the poles.
Quick and Dirty Build: Prepackage a small set of Lego bricks in a Zip-Lock bag or other container. You can have each "kit" have the same sort of pieces or different ones. The challenge is to build something interesting with just those pieces. A lot of times, we use extra Lego bricks we have around for this game and then let the builders take these creations home as their prize.
Lego Party Ideas
Knock 'Em Down Lego Game
Step by Step Instructions for Trivia Game
Do your guests love the Lego Movie? Have fun with your own Lego Movie Trivia Gameshow. You might even want to videotape it like the family in the video below.
Materials for Game Show
- Questions and answers (see links or use questions in quiz or blue box)
- A parent or older volunteer to play game show host.
- Lego flat and Lego bricks to keep score (or you could give them one piece of something they can construct so that the winner is the team which is able to finish the model first).
How to Play Lego Movie Trivia Game
- Divide kids into two teams and have them sit or stand on different sides of the room.
- Give questions to one side at a time. Kids get to take turns at giving the answer with help from their team. If the team disagrees with the answer, have them take a vote.
- If they answer correctly, then they get a Lego Brick to put on their Flat. If they answer incorrectly, the other team gets a chance to earn a brick (you can also give more than one brick to make the game go faster).
- The game ends when all the questions are answered or when a team has finished building their model.
- The prize goes to the team who answered the most questions.
- Variation: Have questions rated from easier to harder and give more bricks for the harder questions. You can either ask questions randomly or give kids a chance to choose what level they want (a one, two or three brick question for example).
Lego Trivia Game If not all your guests have seen the movie, or if you want more trivia facts, you might want to add in some of the Lego trivia facts below to the game also.
Other Ideas for Lego Trivia: Instead of playing in teams, you can ask the questions and have everyone write down their answers. Then share the answers one by one and see who gets the most correct. You can even have the questions printed out on place mats for guests to answer and discuss while eating. Another idea is to just use these trivia questions as a time filler. Ask a question or two for the kids to answer while getting ready for another game, waiting for other guests to arrive or while waiting for parents to come to pick everyone up.
Lego Movie Trivia Questions
- What is the name of the main character? (Emmet)
- What is the main character's job? (construction worker)
- How much does Emmet pay for coffee? ($37)
- What is Wild Style's real name? (Lucy)
- Who is Wild Style's boyfriend? (Batman)
- What is Wild Style dressed as? (Ninja)
- What business is Lord Business president of? (Octran)
- Who is the voice Actor for Lord Business? (Will Ferrell)
- What will the piece of resistance do? (attaches to Emmet's back and when put back as cap on Kragle it explodes and releases everyone)
- What are Master Builders in the movie? (builders who can build without instructions by using their imaginations)
- What does Lord Business want to do? (glue the Lego Universe together)
- What did Lord Business use to erase the "good cop" face? (Q-tip and nail polish)
- What type of business was Octran when it first appeared in Lego sets? Bonus: When did that name first appear as in Lego sets? (gas stations, bonus if they can say when those sets first appeared-1992).
- When the Logo of the movie is being built, what animal can you see standing on the Lego bricks? (a kitty cat)
- The character of the 1980s space man "Benny" has what part of his outfit broken? (his helmet, which is broken in exactly the same place as a real Lego figure's helmet is usually broken).
- What is the theme song of the movie? (Everything is Awesome!)
- What is Vitruvius' staff made from? (a chewed up lolly pop, extra fact: most of the time a lolly-pop stick will fit into the hand of a minifig).
- What does Vitruvius wear underneath his robe? (tie die shirt and blue jeans)
- Who is the film dedicated to and why? (executive producer Kathleen Flemming who passed away while movie was filming).
- When Wildstyle talks about the different worlds of Lego, she mentions "a bunch of others" while a quick slide show plays in the background. Name one of the Lego themes in the slide show ( Fabuland, Bionicle, Lego Friends, Speed Racer).
- What is the Kragle that everyone is afraid of? (Krazy Glue).
- What everyday object beheads a Lego figure in the movie? (a penny)
- For what actor is this their first animated film? (Morgan Freeman)
- What word is never said in the movie? (Lego)
- What kind of animation was done to make this movie? (CGI, although it was made to look like stop-motion animation)
- Who was the real Vitruvius? (a Roman architect whose name in Greek means "master" and "builder)
Lego Movie Theme Song
Lego Trivia Questions
- What does Lego mean in Danish? (answer: play well)
- What are the Danish words the name Lego came from? (LEG GOT)
- When were the first Lego Bricks made? (1932)
- Out of every million Lego bricks made, how many are defective? (about 18)
- If all the Lego bricks made in 2012 were put end to end, how far would they go around the world? (they would go 18 times around the world)
- How many Lego bricks are there for every person on the earth? (86)
- How much bigger is a Duplo than a regular Lego brick? (8 times bigger, but they both fit together)
- How many Lego bricks would it take stacked together to reach the moon? (40 Billion)
- How many bricks high is a Lego mini figure? (4 bricks high without a hat)
- About how many Lego bricks are produced every hour? (over 5 million)
- How many different ways can 2 eight-stud bricks be combined (24 different ways)
- Which of the following is not a Lego theme: a. Jack Stone b. Harry Potter c. Fighter Planes d. Paradisa. (Fighter Planes)
- Which theme includes "Lego Alpha Team?" (Underwater)
- How many pieces in a standard five-hundred-piece bucket? (trick question! 500)
- Name a popular Lego competitor. (Megablocks)
- What famous film director has a Lego character made to look like him? (Steven Spielberg in the Lego Studios series)
Lego Trivia Game Show
More by this Author
Fun and easy ideas for a Fall party, or Halloween party for kids. Craft, food and game ideas with photos and recipe for Taffy Pull.
More than 25 Outdoor Party Games for all ages. Full instructions on how to play!
Washer overflowing? I explain five ways to fix it: installing a sink, using a lint catcher, regular use of enzymes to keep it clear, using a snake, and changing to a front-loading washer.