Mibology is Latin for the study of marbles, a growing hobby among baby boomers, nostalgic for childhood toys. Not a mibologist yourself?
Here's some facts to educate you:
- 300: The years a marble tournamount has taken place in Tinsley Green, England, on Good Friday weekend.
- Pontil: The rough spot on a marble where it was sheared off the glass cane from which it was created.
- 1905: The year the first marble-making machine was created by American inventor Martin F. Christensen in Akron, Ohio
- Knuckling Down: The term for resting the knuckles on the ground during the act of shooting a marble.
- Mexico: Where more than 90 percent of the world's marbles are produced today.
- Four: The number of major factors that determine a marble's value: type, size, condition and eye appeal.
More by this Author
Wacky Packages were collector stickers, produced by the Topps company, that parodied commercial consumer products, thumbed its nose at well-known brands and lampooned brand packaging. Topps first produced Wacky Packages...
Anyone born up to the mid 1980s can remember a favorite toy, that now looking back makes you want to say, "What the hell were my parents thinking?!" Now I am talking about toys outside of M-80s, BB Guns, Swiss...
The pages are allegedly made from the skins of 160 donkeys, the Codex Gigas, is the world's largest and the most mysterious medieval manuscript. According to the Codex legend, this disturbingly beautiful text sprang...