Melissa and Doug Cutting Food Set Kids Toy Review
Here's a short, but cool look at the Melissa and Doug Cutting Food Set.
With four and half stars out of five......the Melissa and Doug Cutting Food Set makes a great fun and educational tool for kids 3 and up.
As an avid fan of all things Melissa and Doug ; I am constantly on the lookout for new fun, safe, and educational toys my children can enjoy for ages.
Having purchased several of their interactive toys in the past; buying the Melissa and Doug Cutting Food Set for my two daughters was a no-brainer.
Unlike the several play foodsets I've previously bought, the Melissa and Doug Cutting Food Set in my opinion is a step above their many plastic counterparts.
In addition to the safety aspect, this play set is colorful; provides exciting playtime for little ones; and is the perfect size for little hands.
Each interactive play set includes:
- Three sandwich bread slices
- A loaf of bread
- One yellow apple
- One green cucumber
- One green bell pepper
- One brightly orange carrot
- One red tomato
- One watermelon slice
- A wooden knife and a wooden cutting board
All play food items are carefully packaged in a small, reusable wooden box; are pre-sliced and safely connected with interlocking Velcro strips (which makes a cool cutting sound when cutting); and are carefully crafted and brightly colored with a non-toxic coating which meets or exceeds all U.S. toy testing standards.
The Melissa and Doug Cutting Food Set not only provides safe play, it’s fun, exciting and provides several educational benefits such as:
- Teaches and tunes fine motor skills.
- Teaches hand-eye coordination.
- Encourages imaginative and independent play.
- Provides an early introduction to food groups and fractions.
- Stimulates the child’s imagination.
As with all Melissa and Doug play sets, fun and educational extension activities are provided to turn playtime into learning time.
Here are a few suggested extension activities I’ve personally tried with my two:
- Food Group Identification - Have your child identify each food and categorize it as a fruit, grain, or vegetable.
- Early Introduction to Fractions - Ask your child to place the yellow apple on the cutting board and cut it apart with the wooden knife. Explain to him or her that the apple has been cut into two equal pieces or halves. Try this with the watermelon slice (which can be cut into four pieces or fourths); the bread slices (which can be cut into three pieces or thirds); as well as the other food items available.
- Color Identification - Lay the food items out on the table. Have your child identify there colors. Have him/her place food items of the same color in separate groups.
- Introduction to Counting - Place the food items in a row on a table. Ask your child to count the number of food items laid out before them. Repeat this activity until your child has shown that he/she can count them independently.
- Observation - lay four or more food items in front of your child. Have him/her observe and study them for several seconds. Then ask your child to close his/her eyes while you remove one item. Ask your child to open his/her eyes and identify which piece was removed.
- Odd One Out - lay out all the food items in front of your child. Have him/her point out which items are divided in odd sections. Repeat this game having your child point out which items are divided in even sections.
Recommended for ages three and up, the Melissa and Doug Cutting Food Set has proved to be a great interactive educational toy for my three and six year old.
copyright © 2011
Other Cool Melissa and Doug Food Sets
More by this Author
Public Domain It is another hot and humid night in the state of Georgia , and as I sit before a hot computer; under a hot lamp; I am amazingly cool due to my new Handy Cooler™/Personal Evaporative Cooling Fan . ...
In 2008, the Website www.kidshealth.org ('s) Children's Health News letter stated that 1 out of every 10 child develops eczema. Fast forward to 2009. A local Savannah, Georgia news article stated that this figure had...
- 9Georgia Cyber Academy Review - A Learning Coaches Take On A Tuition Free Online Public School Program
public domain Before the invention of brick and mortar schools, home schooling has been the major method of educating our children. Granted, in earlier times this form of education took on a less academic scale for...