Model Railroad Secrets - Modeling A Garden Scene
Scale Vegetable Gardens
Bring your homes alive with a scale veggie garden
Ever see a model railroad layout where the buildings just seem to be stuck this way and that? They don't seem belong to the scene? Well you need to give your buildings a reason to exist and bring the entire scene to life by adding details around the buildings that make it seem live in.
For houses a great way to bring a scene alive its to add a vegetable garden. Drive around this summer and take a look at the houses in your neighborhood. People do more with their houses than live in the structure - they live in the yard. Planting a vegetable garden in the front or back of a house makes the scene look vibrant and active.
Luckily there are some very detailed foliage and model products available these days to pull off a very convincing garden and it can either be for vegetable of flowers. Products from Noch, Busch, JTT and Woodland Scenics can be used to pull off a very realistic garden scene.
Scale Vegatable Garden Resources
- Scenic Express! The Largest Selection of Scale Model Railroad Scenery on the Web.
The Largest Selection of Scale Model Scenery on the Web.
- Trees, bushes, grass and flowers for model scale railroad and dioramas
Scale bushes, hedges, flowers, grass, ground cover and vegetation for your diorama, model railroad or scale model scenery
- How to article on modeling a cabbage patch
Scale Garden Products
Tips For Building a Scale Garden
- Look around your spice rack for ideas. Ground spices and dried leaf spices can be used as ground cover or as scale plants.
- Look in the bulk food area of your local supermarket. Seeds or dried peas can be used as scale cabbages.
- If the scene is in the foreground plan on purchasing some highly detailed plants for up close inspection.
- Keep in mind a figure bent over weeding or leaning on a hoe can add a lot of character to a scene.
- Build a small garden shed, fences and add a critter or two like scale rabbits to add some humor to the scene.
Other Model Railroad Hints and Tips
- Model Railroad Buildings - Using Cork Tiles As Rubble Foundations
Tips for building model buildings.
- Modeling Basics: Working with Model Styrene
Build model structures from scratch with styrene.
- Using Free Plans to Build a Scale Model Building
How to scratch build a farm stand in O scale.
More by this Author
Very small model railroads including what is perhaps the smallest model railroad ever built.
Model railroads look best with lots of great looking trees. Try the sage tree method.
Get rid of pest chipmunks with this do it yourself chipmunk trap. Save money and save your home and garden.