My Wii won't turn on! Why won't my Nintendo Wii power on?
How can I fix my Nintendo Wii?
A couple of nights ago, we had one of those little power hiccups. The power went off for a second ... just long enough to require all the clocks to be reset. We didn't think too much about it, it's a pretty common occurrence here in Florida.
Later that evening my son went to play his Nintendo Wii and discovered that he couldn't power it on. That's when we remembered the boys had been playing their Nintendo video games shortly before the power surge, now the wii wouldn't power on! There were no power lights, no standby light, nothing. We checked the surge protector that the Wii was plugged into, we reset it and tried again. Nothing. We unplugged the console and tried plugging it into a different power outlet; it still didn't work. The situation didn't look good. I was beginning to think we'd be buying a new Wii console very soon and it was certainly not in the budget.
My Nintendo Wii won't Power On!
Why won't my wii power on? Nintendo Game Consoles
I decided to do a search online to see if I could find any ideas on how we might fix this problem. I found many posts from users with the exact same problem, but the solutions were bleak. Everything from taking the Wii apart, to sending it in to have it serviced. But, what it came down to was the console was fried and there wasn't much we could do about it. That was about what I had expected. So, we did a search on Amazon to see what a new Nintendo game consoles would cost and it was about what we expected, more than we could spend at the time. Well, I wasn't going to purchase anything at the moment, so I did some more searching ... and lo and behold, I came across a very simple fix!
Nintendo Wii Video Games
Reset the AC Adapter for your Nintendo Wii
Here's how we solved our problem and I hope it might help someone else who is experiencing the same issue.
- Unplug the Wii AC adapter at both ends (from the back of the Wii system and from the wall outlet or power strip).
- The AC adapter must remain unplugged at both ends for a full 2 minutes. We had unplugged the Wii several times, but the trick was leaving it unplugged for the entire 2 minutes!
- Unplug anything connected to the USB ports and the Nintendo GameCube Controller ports (such as LAN Adapters, keyboards, Nintendo GameCube controllers, etc.).
- After you've waited 2 minutes, plug the AC adapter into the Wii system and directly into a wall outlet, not a surge protector or power strip. If the power light comes on and stays on, then it appears resetting the AC Adapter worked.
If this did not fix your problem, here are some other things you might want to check:
- Make sure that the word "Wii" and the model number "RVL-002 (USA)" are molded into the AC adapter. Unlicensed products are not fully compatible and may not work correctly.
- Check the AC Adapter for physical damage. Physical damage, such as frayed wiring or a cracked housing can cause the system to shut down. If your AC Adapter shows signs of physical damage and needs to be replaced, you can purchase one from Nintendo's online store.
If resetting the AC Adapter did not fix your power issues, you might find a fix at Nintendo's Support site.
EDIT: We've had a tremendous amount of feedback from so many people who have experienced this exact same problem with their Nintendo game consoles - we're always happy to hear when our solution has saved your Nintendo we look forward to hearing from many more of you!
More by this Author
Garam Masala is not a spice, but rather a spice blend common throughout India. The spices that comprise the garam masala blend vary by region and individual household. No Indian cuisine would be complete without Garam...
Homemade yogurt is easy to make and can save you a lot of money over store bought yogurt. Not only will you save money, but you can control the ingredients you use to suit your own preferences. There is no special...
Homemade tamales are worth every minute you put into the preparation. They are a labor of love, but a steaming plate of homemade Mexican tamales is something you will never forget. This tamale recipe give you...