Old Vintage LIFE Magazine 1960 - Dina Merrill - Nixon - Rockefeller
LIFE Magazines - An American Icon
Old, vintage Life magazines show the news of the week in America
and the world, with pointed editorials and vivid photo essays like no other news
source of the time.This original issue of January 11, 1960 headlines
with Dina Merrill, Richard Nixon, and a special series on International Crime.
Viewed now as an icon of American print media, Life magazines symbolized the attitude of Americans and their interests. There is something about holding an actual piece of the past in your hands that no amount of Internet research can match.
Vintage January 11, 1960 Issue of LIFE Magazine
Front Cover: Dina Merrill in a Goya-inspired pose. - *inside front cover: full-color Nabisco Oreo Cookies ad
- Front Cover headlines: Dina Merrill: Actress, Socialite, Springtime Model - Global Octopus of Crime, A Series on International Crimes
Rear Cover: Lucky Strikes Cigarettes ad - *inside rear cover: full-color Royal Crown Cola ad
- International Crime: In a new series LIFE exposes the sinister world of International crime and its six million-odd inhabitants who deal in contraband, dope, even human lives. To unravel this tangled conspiracy, corespondents on six continents helped LIFE staff writer Herbert Brean, who himself quizzed cops and racket kingpins like Mike Spinella - who was deported from the U.S.
- Nixon's Mixed Blessing: Rockefeller's surprising withdrawal gives Nixon many advantages he will try to exploit, but also presents problems Democrats will hammer at
- Artful Fashions: Using her beauty, acting talents and some stunning springtime styles, Dina Merrill re-creates great paintings of past and present
- Brawl in a Bowl: An ugly current of racial antagonism helped make the Syracuse-Texas football game a brawl before the best U.S. team won in the Cotton Bowl.
Table of Contents:
This Week's Events:
- The Massive lawlessness that preys on us all; the evil domain of world crime. LIFE begins a new and startling series on a secret multi-billion dollar business and the little-know police that fight it
- Nixon lives it up: the candidate without a competitor, but Rockefeller's withdrawl brings problems
- End of a Tour, and the Start of a Busy Year; President Eisenhower keeps moving with plans for the summit, increased foreign aid, and even another trip
- A Look at the World's Week - The lavish wedding of the Shah and Farah, Diba glitters in color pictures by Loomis Dean
- Rocky Still Serves His Party
- A Few Facts for Farm Sureons
- "I want to be a legend by 25," says hit singer Bobby Darin, 23, who has big ambitions, and prospects to match
- End of the Gallant Rebs: death of the "last survivor" finishes off the Confederates, but a great tradition remains
Fashion: Triple-threat girl in a fashion gallery; enacting beauties of three centuries of art, Dina Merrill gives a springtime show of style
Television: A brave story is retold - Margaret Bourke-White's ordeal makes a TV play
Sports: a brawling battle of the hard-noses between Syracuse and Texas
Archaeology: Stone-age ships of death; the world's oldest boat coffins found in Borneo caverns reveal an ancient culture
Party: The $250,000 debut of Charlotte Ford; auto maker gives his daughter the most lavish coming-out in 25 years
A Bonus for Collectors - Vintage Ads
One of the treasures of LIFE magazines was their collection of advertisements. many full-page ads from iconic brands of the past, and also some less-than iconic, many in full-color, were included in each issue.
A sampling of the ads in LIFE magazine issues might include:
Vintage ads: Full page color ads: Bell Telephone Systems, Old Forester Whiskey, American Motors, One-a-Day vitamins, Chase & Sanborn, General Motors, Reader's Digest, Squib Phamicuticals, ETHYL Corp., Mennon, Florida Land, AC Sparkplugs, Evinrude, Buick, Chef Boy-ar-Dee, National Homes, Lord Calvert, Brown shoes, Walker's Deluxe Whiskey, Borden's Ice Cream, Ford, American Airlines, Green Giant, Old Charter Whiskey, Salem, National Bo, Wesson Oil, Monsanto, Sealtest Ice Cream, Pillsbury, LifeSavers, Avis Rent-a-Car, Mercury Outboards, Ford Chevrolet. King Sano Cigs., Philco TV, Miss Clairol, Schlitz, Chesterfield, Philip Morris, Ritz Crackers, Coca-Cola, Friskies Dog Food, Pontiac, A&P Ann Page Foods, Kentile Floors, Campbell's Soup, Zenith, Douglas DC-8, Mercury, Wesson Oil, Chrysler, Sanka, International Truck, Studebaker Champ Truck, Esso Motor Oil, American Standard Western Electric, Calvert Reserve, Oldsmobile Valiant Car, Miss Clairol, Kraft Jellies, ...and dozens of other ads!
Own This Vintage LIFE Magazine Issue
This original January 11, 1960 issue of LIFE magazine is in good condition with the original address label, and has the normal wear you would expect from a 50 year old magazine. No loose, detached, or torn pages. You can judge it's condition by the photos of the original issue, and it is available with Free shipping at:
ps. The seller, Appletreedeals, is a reputable long-time ebay Power Seller that has moved his sales to Bonanza, the highly respected ebay alternative for online sales. No bidding! No Auctions!
Other Vintage Issues of LIFE Magazines Available
More by this Author
Cheapest prices for Capodimonte Italian porcelain figurines for sale. Biggest selection online. NEVER PAY RETAIL AGAIN
Find Rare Jim Beam Decanters and Collectible Bottles - Cheapest prices Best Selections where other smart collectors go first.
best selection cheapest prices on a whiskey, (whisky) or liquor, (liqour), decanter at the one site other smart shoppers use first
No comments yet.