Russian Nesting Dolls
Aren't These Pretty?
Russian Matrushka Dolls Are So Captivating
When I was a child, I received a Matrushka doll for a Christmas present. I spent hours playing with my doll, which I named Babayaga. I kept Babayaga with me through all the years and started collecting other nesting dolls.
Russian nesting dolls make an interesting collectible item, providing hours of enjoyment to young and old alike.
Russian Matrushka dolls are captivating and make an interesting collectible item! They open to reveal attractively painted dolls hidden away inside, providing hours of enjoyment to young and old alike.
Children love to take nesting dolls apart and reassemble them separately. Adults love to collect them.
But where did the dolls originate? How were they made? How have they changed? Why are they so popular? Why do they make such a good collectible?
This article discusses they delightful dolls.
What Makes Nesting Dolls So Special?
- A "mother" opens to reveal a doll inside. This process continues down to the smallest doll, which can be incredibly tiny.
- Russian dolls may contain 3 dolls up to 50 dolls in one main doll.
Russian Matrushka Dolls—A Traditional Symbol of Motherhood
Among Russian peasants, the name Matryona or Matriosha was a popular female name. The Latin root "mater" means mother. These names are associated with the image of a portly woman presiding over a large Russian family. Wooden nesting dolls came to be called "Matryoshka," a symbol of motherhood.
History of Russian Nesting Dolls
Matrushka dolls are a popular Russian national souvenir. While much of the history surrounding the nesting dolls is anecdotal and contradictory, what is believed is that the first Russian doll had its origin in 1890 in a workshop near Moscow.
- The first Russian nesting doll was created by the artist Sergei Maliutin, aided by a craftsman and turner named Vassiliy Zviozdochkin (or Vasiliy Zvesdochkin).
- Initially, much attention was paid to the dolls' faces.
- Russian family life was played out through the dolls, usually a mother and her many offspring.
- During Perestroika, dolls were created depicting Soviet leaders.
Matrushka dolls were designed to follow a theme, enacted through successive dolls. Because the wooden dolls were graduated, they were and are perfect for this purpose.
- By 1913, the Russian nesting dolls had captured imaginations to the point that a 48-piece Matrushka doll was displayed at the Exhibition of Toys in St. Petersburg.
History of Matryoshkas
How Matrushka Dolls Were Made
- Shaping the Nesting Dolls: Much attention was paid to shaping of the Matrushka dolls. Master turners were engaged to turn out almost flawless thinly-sided dolls.
- Painting the Matrushka Dolls: Matrushka dolls combined Russian style with folk art tradition, reflecting these colorful, cultural influences.
- Styles of Russian Stacking Dolls: While both male and female figures were portrayed, the dolls by and large depicted the traditional Russian mother wearing a brightly-colored dress (sarafan), apron and scarf.
- Doll Proportions: Eventually, standard Matrushka doll proportions were adopted, incorporating a 1 to 2 ratio between the width and height.
In 1970, the largest Matrushka doll was created, containing 72 pieces and dedicated to the Soviet leader Lenin.
How Nesting Dolls Are Made
Russian Fairytale Nesting Dolls
Some Russian nesting dolls are avaialable in fairytale themes.
Fairytales are popular with children and when portrayed on the nesting dolls, come alive with charming faces and brightly colored clothing.
A Succession of Dolls ... Hidden Away Inside
Perhaps the best loved feature of Russian Matrushka dolls and all nesting dolls is that they aren't actually a single doll. They open to reveal a succession of dolls inside. The dolls are graduated, decreasing in size until the last doll is reached. The final wooden doll can be incredibly tiny.
It is always a surprise to open a doll and discover what secrets it holds.
- Different Expressions--some Matrushka's have different expressions painted on their faces, which gives individual dolls distinct personalities
- Different Colored Dolls--other dolls contain different colored "mamas"
- Dolls Depict Fairytale Characters--still other nesting doll sets depict fairytale characters and scenes.
- Political Figures--famous and infamous politicians are portrayed
- Famous Figures--your favorite movie star may be as close as your next nesting doll purchase
- Animals--there are some incredibly cute animal nesting dolls
Russian Matrushka Dolls in Modern Times
Nesting dolls are available in specialty shops and in retail stores around the world. In larger cities, some shops carry an inventory that is made up almost entirely of Matrushka dolls.
As touched on in this article modern dolls encompass a wide range of themes: animals, caricatures, ethnographic or fictional characters. As times change, so too, the sheer variety of the dolls. Whatever your preference, whether for traditional or modern dolls, there is sure to be something to tickle your fancy.
There's a captivating Matrushka doll just waiting for someone to take it home.
Political Nesting Dolls
Russian Political Nesting Dolls
Russian Political Dolls
Other nesting dolls come in a political themes. These make a good gift for those interested in politics or politicians.
These dolls are a favorite for fans of history.
Meet Some of my Dolls
A Favorite Collectible
Wooden nesting figures are a favorite collectible item. The dolls add a splash of color to any shelf or mantle but... they do more than just look pretty, they open to reveal the treasures inside and thus, have captured imaginations and hearts around the world
Do You Collect Nesting Dolls?See results without voting
- Charming Topsy-Turvy Dolls: Lovable Toys Depict Nursery Rhyme and Fairytale Characters
Lovable topsy turvy dolls add a special element to story- telling. The cute dolls transform into multiple characters.
- Royal Albert Christmas Collector Plates--Nostalgic S...
Captivating Royal Albert Christmas collector plates depict nostalgic scenes from yesteryear.
© 2009 Athlyn Green
More by this Author
Teapots with roses on them are a favorite with collectors and come in a surprising variety.
Amazing dolls that change into two or more characters.
It can be delightful to converse with your parrot, but... how do you get it to communicate with you?