The Shiny Nidoking
A Shiny Nidoking is something special. A Nidoking by itself is simply one of my favourite Pokemon. OK it may not be amongst the most powerful, or the most useful in the competitive battling scene – but it is one of the few Pokemon that evoke what the game was first about – POCKET MONSTERS!
NOTE: If you are looking for a FREE EV'd Nidoking then get over to the Monster Dungeon Pokemon forum who give away a free EV trained Nidoking to everyone who signs up - plus other free Pokemon, items, prize draws etc
That is what Pokemon is meant to be – monsters that you can keep in your poket until you need them. Most Pokemon tend to be just animals of some variety, only with super powers. Others are objects but a few live up to the idea of being monsters – and Nidoking (and his better half Nidoqueen) do that for me.
Pokemon on Amazon
Odds of Catching a Shiny Nidoking
As with any Pokemon there is a chance that you will get the 'shiny' version of it. A shiny Pokemon is one that is an alternative color to the traditional color scheme – and when it emerges for a fight it gives off a shower of stars.
They are rare, very rare in fact. Assuming you are not using Action Replay codes of Game Shark codes to cheat your way into getting a shiny Nidoking then the odds of you getting one (more more accurately getting a shiny Nidoran males, from which the Nidoking eventually evolves) are astronomical.
Want to be more accurate? In the wild the odds are 1 in 8,192 in the wild. If you breed your Nidoran in the day centre then the odds are improved if you use a 'foreign' Pokemon – 1 in 2048. though it is important to remember that you won't know if it is a Nidoran male or female when you do this so really those odds double.
How to Get a Shiny Nidoking
So how does one go about getting a shiny Nidoking?
Actually there are a number of methods - and catching should be the last resort.
- The first port of call tends to be the GTS. Take a look around at the Nidokings available - if any of them are shiny and available for you to trade then get on to it!
- If not try Pokemon forums. There are many around that offer trade sections and often you can find someone who has what you want.
- You actually get a 75% better chance of breeding a shiny (providing one of the pokemon is one from another country) than catching one - so breeding a Nidoran male in the day care centre shouldn't be ruled out.
- If you DO want to try catch one then it is best done in Pokemon Platinum (or Diamond or Pearl) when you can 'chain them' using the pokeradar.
- Where should you go to do this?
- In Pokemon Platinum/Pearl/Diamons you need the Pokeradar to find a Nidoran male (you don't get wild Nidokings). Go to route 201 and start using the radar there.
- In Pokemon Heart Gold/Soul Silver get over to route 35 or route 36, again you'll find Nidoran males there, as well as in the Safari zone. You can also get them in the 'refreshing field' in the Pokewalker
PBR Battle Involving a Shiny Nidoking
Shiny Nidoking in Battle
Shiny Nidoking in Battle
The Shiny Nidoking is really no different to a normal Nidoking when it comes to battling. As with any Pokemon it can be useful in game – especially when doing the walk through where levelling up is the most important aspect.
When it comes to competitive battling though things change somewhat. Many competitive battlers use a 'tier system'. The tiers are usually taken from smogon.com which have the following options
OU (Over Used)
BL (Border Line)
UU (Under Used)
NU (Never Used)
When in a competitive battle you can battle using Pokemon who are in the tier you have agreed with, or in tiers below it. So if you are battling in UU you can use UU and NU Pokemon, but not those from BL, OU or Uber Tiers.
Nidoking is firmly in the UU tier – as it is a Pokemon that struggles to compete with the top Pokemon. That said in the UU tier it can be very useful if used and trained correctly.
My Shiny Nidoking
Personally I run him as an anti-lead which has the following moveset and EV split.
Evs 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
EV training is a vital part of playing Pokemon at a competitive level. EV training is something I will explain in a different hub but suffice to say it is a way of training a Pokemon to be good at what you want it to be good at (strength, speed etc)
It is also important to give the shiny Nidoking the right moves for what you want him to be doing. There are numerous sets over here on Smogon – you need to pick the right one for you.
Balance in a team is important - so don't just pick your favourite move set but consider how it will interact with the other Pokemon on the team that you will be running
More by this Author
How to evolve Togepi into Togetic, and then how to evolves Togetic into Togekiss - must have information for competitive Pokemon battlers!
The Terrakion location. Where you can find Terrakion, and how to catch him, including a walk through video
The Ralts Evolution Chart. Showing when Ralts evolves into Kirlia, and how to get it to evolve into Gardevoir or Gallade. Also shows how to catch a Ralts in the various Pokemon games.