Top Tips to Help You Score Higher on Words With Friends
Words with Friends
Words with Friends is a game very similar to Scrabble that is played by people around the world. You use a selection of letters to make words, which can be multiplied by special points spots on the board. It can be played with friends or you can be matched with strangers who are looking for a game, if you can’t find anyone to play with.
If you are a fan of the game “Words with Friends,” available on Facebook and on several different Smartphone platforms, you may want some tips so you can get top scores and beat your friends.
While there are ways to cheat at Words with Friends you probably prefer to actually improve your strategy.
These tips for Words with Friends are a great way to get a higher score and make a great showing when you play on your Android, IPhone or on your computer through the Facebook platform
A Few Simple Tips
- Find a good Two Letter Words List. There are many of these available online. Two letter words are often the key to winning a game. You will need to use two letter words to your advantage when you play to be able to follow many of the other strategies that are recommended here.
- Stack Words. Often the key is not making long words, it’s making multiple words on one turn. Sometimes you can make a four-letter word and then four two letter words by stacking letters and your score will explode.
- Take advantage of the multiply tiles. The Double and Triple letter tiles and Double and Triple word tiles can help your score grow. If you find a way to use more than one in one turn, or use one multiply tile for two words at the same time, you can have turns that are out of this world. I regularly make 60+ points per turn and hitting over 100 happens more often than you might think.
- In turn, try to keep these tiles unavailable to your opponents. Watch the words you are placing and try not to open them up to a big scoring part of the board. If you play a 12 point word, but open a Triple words score tile to your opponent, you are most likely going to lose points.
- Look for common letter groups. Looking for letter groups like ER ED QU UN CH ES and others is a key to success. It can be nearly impossible to get rid of a Q without a U to go with it. (QI and QAT are the best ways to get out of that sticky situation!)
- Learn how to get rid of those tough letters. QI and QAT were mentioned as easy ways to get those on the board, but what about X’s, Z’s and J’s? X’s are great to use with words like EX and AX that can later be lengthened to things like SEX and FAX, if you want to start a word with X, I always look for an I and make the word XI. Z’s are particularly useful with I’s, ZIP, ZIG, ZIT are all words I use again and again and of course the two letter word ZA. J’s are actually very tricky. The only two letter word that starts with J is JO, but there are a ton of 3 letter choices where you can pair them with any vowels.
- V’s and C’s as blockers. I use these as blocker letters. If I want to keep someone from making a big word on a multiple letter or word tile I bring out the C’s and V’s. You cannot make any two letter words using C or V, so they are great blockers!
- Don’t be afraid to turn in your letters. If you cannot make a decent score out of the letters you have, you may be better off switching out. The 5 points you score that turn are nothing compared to the big score you could get with better letters. Plus just using a letter or two means that you will still basically have the same bad letters next turn too.
These are just a few of the strategies I use when I play Words with Friends on Facebook and on my Andriod phone. I love this game and would relish the competition anytime you want to bring it on!
More by this Author
So, your tonsils are swollen and when you look in the mirror you see that they have white stuff on them. White bits on your tonsils may seem like a major problem, but in reality, it is actually quite common and...
Phase 10 is a fun, rummy-style game with a lot of strategy. Learn more about the background, strategy and even how you can play it online.
Learning how to play Zuma Blitz is not hard. However, there are many tips and tricks that can make it your scores skyrocket. Plus, you can earn some free Idols to buy upgrades too!