Tyrogue Evolution Chart
Need Help with Pokemon?
Need help with the Tyrogue evolutions, or any other Pokemon problems? Then your best bet is to get over to the Pokemon forums on MonsterDungeon.com where they will answer your question quickly, accurately and in a friendly way!
The Tyrogue Evolution Chart
If there is one Pokemon that is more difficult to evolve than any other it is Tyrogue. Actually, that's a lie, Tyrogue itself is very easy to evolve, but the Tyrogue evolution chart is very complex to manipulate so that it evolves into the right Pokemon.
There are 3 Pokemon that Tyrogue can evolve into - Hitmonchan, Hitmonlee and Hitmontop. Which Pokemon it evolves into depends on it's stats, which is more involved than you might think.
How Tyrogue Evolves
As you can see all 3 Tyrogue evolutions take place at level 20, which makes evolving Tyrogue very easy. Simply get him enough experience points from battling other Pokemon for him to reach level 20, and he'll evolve into one of the 3.
It's when you are trying to decide which specific evolution on the Tyrogue evolution chart you want that the problem comes.
You see, deciding which Pokemon you want isn't enough, you also have to manipulate the stats so that if, for example, you want Hitmonchan, you need to ensure that the attack is greater than the defence stat.
It is important to remember that Tyrogue has base 35 across the board, so all things being equal he will evolve into Hitmontop (as seen on the Tyrogue evolution chart). However things are rarely 'equal' as we can see below.
How to Manipulate the Stats
There are a number of ways that you can manipulate the stats on Tyrogue to ensure you get the Tyrogue evolution that you want.
- Natures. What nature the Tyrogue is can have an effect on it's stats. If it has a nature that boosts attack, then it will automatically have a 10% higher attack (and if it decreases defence, then it will have a 20% higher attack). Adamant is a perfect nature for this.
- Vitamins. There are vitamins that boost the stats of Pokemon (they do so by manipulating the EVs by 10 at a time, see below). Give the Tyrogue the right vitamins and you can boost it right up on the stat you want.
- EV. EV stands for effort value, and it boosts certain stats. Every Pokemon you defeat will drop at least 1 EV, which goes towards boosting whichever stat. So if you start defeating a lot of Zubat, for example, then your speed will start boosting a lot. Geodudes drop defence EVs, etc, etc.
By using these methods you can manipulate the stats of your Tyrogue as you wish, giving you control over which one of the Tyrogue evolution chart your Pokemon evolves into
How to Evolve Tyrogue into...
So now we know the basics, let's look at the specifics of the Tyrogue evolution chart.
How to Evolve Tyrogue into Hitmontop
The difficult one first (see the video below for further guidance). This is easiest done with a neutral nature, or at least one that keeps attack and defence the same (Jolly, which raises speed and lowers special attack, works best).
It is easiest if you have access to lots of rare candies. If you do it is simply a case of ensuring that you use enough for Tyrogue to evolve, because no EVs will be earned there is no danger of problems.
If you don't, then ensure you start off earning Speed EVs when training him, or at least avoid attack or defence EVs until he has evolved into Hitmontop.
How to Evolve Tyrogue into Hitmonchan
Much easier than understanding how to evolve Tyrogue into Hitmontop this. To evolve him into Hitmonchan you need defence to be higher than attack. To do that ensure he either
1) has a attacking nature (adamant is best) or
2) you use the right vitamins on him to boost attack before evolution
3) you have him gain more attack EVs than defence ones before levelling
How to Evolve Tyrogue into Hitmonlee
Much the same as understanding how to evolve Tyrogue into Hitmonchan this, only we want him to have higher defences rather than attack. So it's just a case of
1) has a defensive nature (a nature that boosts defence) or
2) you use the right vitamins on him to boost defence before evolution
3) you have him gain more defence EVs than attack ones before levelling (think attacking Geodudes...)
How to Evolve Tyrogue into Hitmontop
More by this Author
The Terrakion location. Where you can find Terrakion, and how to catch him, including a walk through video
How to evolve Togepi into Togetic, and then how to evolves Togetic into Togekiss - must have information for competitive Pokemon battlers!
The Ralts Evolution Chart. Showing when Ralts evolves into Kirlia, and how to get it to evolve into Gardevoir or Gallade. Also shows how to catch a Ralts in the various Pokemon games.