What is Griefing?
Cyber bullies (AKA trolls) come in all shapes and sizes. In the fantastical worlds of online gaming, this particular breed of bully is known as a Griefer. This is because the troll causes severe grief and loss, stripping the game of all the enjoyment for other players. Here are a few ways that griefers attack:
- Team Killing: Players intentionally turn on team members during combat to steal their belongings;
- Camping: Ambushing a player and kill them, then waiting at the spawn point for the player to resurrect in order to kill them again … and again … and again.
- Training: Triggering monsters for the sole purpose of luring them to other players to kill them. This is also known as Mob Spawning when the troll triggers a large amount of monsters;
- Kill Stealing: Swooping in at the last second to kill a creature that someone else is trying to kill (and thus stealing the rewards for themselves);
- Blocking: Standing in entryways to prevent other players from entering or leaving certain areas of the game;
- Chat Spamming: Flooding the in-game chat with large amounts of text or, for games that have audio chat, shouting into the mic or making annoying sounds to disrupt communication between players.
Beware: Griefers may use multiple accounts to carry out their attacks.
Some games have griefing specifically for their games. For example, two types of griefing that are specific to Minecraft are:
- Destruction: Destroying work other players have created;
- Creation: Creating offensive structures, such as swastikas or nude pixel art, and building cages around players who are away from their keyboards out of hard material;
Advice, games and activities to help kids understand what cyberbullying is, how they should behave online and how to stay safe.
This is just a short list of common griefing activity. I'm sure we've all done some of these things by accident, but a true gaming troll does these things on purpose and for "fun". Now that you know what to look for:
Be Aware and Play Safe!
© 2012 I Am Rosa
More by this Author
A new parent's nightmare includes slogging through all the baby products on the market to find out what works best for the most reasonable price. Diapers are high on the list, so let's compare the two big name diaper...
Thinking of moving to Ontario, Canada? This article contains valuable information you need to help you make an informed decision before taking that big step.
For those who are looking for a quick and reliable method for removing unwanted facial hair, this step-by-step guide is for you!