Skyward Sword: How To Beat Demon Lord Ghirahim at Skyview Temple (First Time)
This hub is going to explain how to beat the Demon Lord Ghirahim in The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword. For a first boss, Ghirahim can be quite difficult, as you are probably still getting used to the advanced motion controls for swordfighting, and Ghirahim will put your knowledge to the test.
I will break down the fight into each of its distinct phases. Read on and see how this boss can be beaten!
At the start of the boss battle, Ghirahim decides to play with you a little. Instead of starting on the attack, he will slowly walk towards you with one hand extended. This stance seems innocent enough until you swing and he grabs hold of your sword. Therein lies the problem. He will even go so far as to point out the flaw in your strategy if he manages to steal your sword from you...before throwing it back at you.
- If he grabs onto your sword, shake your Remote to wrest it free of his grasp.
- If he manages to steal your sword, use a Shield Bash to knock it out of his hands.
- If you leave it in his possession long enough, he'll throw it at you. You can time a Shield Bash to block the incoming sword, you can block the shot normally (which will damage your shield), or you can just take the hit. In any of the cases, the end result is the same (the sword will be on the ground and you will need to grab it before Ghirahim does).
What he is doing is seeing how you are holding your sword and adjusting his stance accordingly. So, to beat him at his own game, you need to swing in the direction you're not holding your sword. In other words, if you are holding your sword in a vertical position, use a horizontal slash and vice versa. Once you connect, hit him a few more times until he jumps back. He will stay in this phase for another round or two, but once you have this part figured out, it's just a matter of time before he's forced to move on to Phase II.
After sustaining a bit of damage, he will switch his strategy (and more importantly, start attacking). He starts Phase II by materializing a sword of his own to match your Goddess Sword. You would think that you could start hack and slashing him now that he has a sword, but he's an expert at parrying your assault with his new weapon, so you'll need to wait for an opening to do so. He present two distinct opportunities though.
1. He will start shooting daggers at you that can be slashed back at him, so long as you swing in the same angle as they're lined up. For example, if the projectiles are lined up horizontally, use a horizontal slash to send them back to their owner. If you successfully slash the whole line of projectiles back at Ghirahim, he will be momentarily stunned, which will buy you time to slash him before he recovers. Otherwise, he will jump back and shoot the remaining daggers at you, one by one.
2. At times, he will bend his knees a little and reverse his grip on his sword. This is the broadcast of his charge attack. You have no way of stopping him from starting the charge, but once it's underway you have two options to damage him. Option 1 is Shield Bashing him to create an opening. Option 2 is the somewhat riskier method of sidestepping to slash him from the side he's approaching you from. Option 2 has the minor disadvantage that he won't stop his attack, so you may eat a slash in the process of slashing him yourself.
You can also use a Spin Attack to damage Ghirahim when he charges. Thanks to wane for the tip!
As you damage Ghirahim more and more, he'll start favoring opening 2 over opening 1, which can either be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on how much you've practiced Shield Bash timing up to this point in the game. In my case, it became harder as it took me a while to realize that Shield Bashes can break his charge. Once he's constantly charging, you know that the fight is in the final stage. After that, the battle is over with a few well-placed sword slashes.
Once Ghirahim is beaten, he will spout out a few choice words before retreating into the darkness, leaving behind a Heart Container for you to collect, in classic Zelda fashion.
That's about it for this hub. If you feel like something is missing from this hub, or wish to give tips and tricks to hopeful Ghirahim slayers, OR just want to talk about Skyward Sword in general (try to keep spoilers at a minimum, please) feel free to shout out in the comments section.
Until the next time, take care and have fun! ;)
More by this Author
This hub is going to explain how to beat Boss Rush Mode in The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, as well as several important details such as prizes and tips/tricks. Officially called the Lightning Round by the Thunder...
This hub is going to explain how to beat the Demon Lord Ghirahim at the Fire Sanctuary in The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword. Ghirahim's second form is the last dungeon boss (there are a few more bosses left in the game...
This hub talks about Donnel in Fire Emblem: Awakening. Starting as a lowly villager, Donnel has the potential to become one of the best units in the entire game.