jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)

Atari files for bankruptcy

1. Stacie L profile image89
    Stacie Lposted 3 years ago

Your childhood is dead, sort of, but only if you're over 35. Atari U.S. — the maker of such classic, first-gen games as Pong and Asteroids — has filed for bankruptcy
    I can't remember what they make...maybe that's  a sign

1. paradigmsearch profile image89
      paradigmsearchposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I still vividly remember the who, what, where,when of that pong game. The hooking it up to the TV. The whole shot.

2. Winterfate profile image100
    Winterfateposted 3 years ago

They stopped making consoles a LONG while ago. They were a video game publisher and developer, but that only happened after a stint of falling under the radar, so to speak.

I'm said to see them go. yikes

3. kschang profile image90
    kschangposted 3 years ago

To be honest, that's NOT the original Atari. This is Infogrames, the French company, that bought Atari, and renamed itself Atari, many years back. They also bought MicroProse, Hasbro Interactive, among other companies.

4. cfin profile image79
    cfinposted 3 years ago

This bankruptcy will actual do the opposite. It opens the door for the original Atari owners to buy the company back. I'm not kidding. It's all part of a greater plan. Atari are more of an asset now, with the attraction of apps and retro games, than they have been in a long time.

5. SimeyC profile image88
    SimeyCposted 3 years ago

Atari US are doing this to get away from their parent company - this the true Atari will come back alive and kicking! As someone who actually played pong in the 'service stations' in England, played most of their games and then owned an Atari ST - I'll be glad to see them re-emerge!!

6. atechwiz profile image81
    atechwizposted 3 years ago

The Atari name is too valuable for someone to not buy up the rights to use it.  As others have pointed out this has already happened in the past.  We will have to see.