jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (11 posts)

Girls and video games!

1. 53
    PennyJay84posted 3 years ago

Hey fellow gamers!

As a female video gamer (i love adventure & rpg games) i'm curious about other female video gamers out there and what do you enjoy. Sometimes i feel awkward about walking into a video game store as a girl as most of the customers there are guys! Are girl video gamers a dying breed or do we not talk about it as much as guys ??

1. Greekgeek profile image98
      Greekgeekposted 3 years ago in reply to this

All the "girl gamers" I know are women in their twenties, thirties or forties.

There certainly are plenty of us. A little apart from the teenaged boy gamer culture, but quite a lively subculture on the web. My friends congregate on dreamwidth, livejournal, the wikis, and various forums.

Which games? I only keep up with the RPG crowd, but you'll find a ton of female fans of Metal Gear Solid, Dragon Age and the old Final Fantasy battleship on Tumblr, Dreamwidth and (I think) Livejournal.

I was active on MYST fandom in grad school. I've actually been participating in a yearlong marathon to play all the old Final Fantasy games with a bunch of online friends as a retro romp; some of those old 8bit 80s games are charming. We've got one honorary guy gamer in the group. wink

2. MattWritesStuff profile image95
    MattWritesStuffposted 3 years ago

I doubt you're a dying breed at all. Quite possible you just don't talk about it as much as guys. Wouldn't surprise me, either - the attitudes of a lot of male gamers are not, er, terribly enlightened. Often doesn't pay for female gamers to identify themselves by gender.

My girlfriend sat and played Skyrim for about four hours yesterday, so at least as far as my world goes, girl gamers thrive.

3. SimeyC profile image87
    SimeyCposted 3 years ago

My daughter (thanks to my influence) has always played video games. She works at gamestop with three other female gamers. The number of female gamers is surging - I saw a study somewhere about this!

4. WriteAngled profile image91
    WriteAngledposted 3 years ago

I have been playing World of Warcraft according to my inclinations (no raids, no dungeons except soloed ones) for several years. I am female, but don't count as a girl because I turned 59 a couple of weeks ago.

5. LagunaAlkaline profile image87
    LagunaAlkalineposted 3 years ago

I am a female gamer (I actually just wrote a hub about female gamers).  I mainly play RPGs and strategy games (Starcraft, Civilization, Pirates) but I love trying new games too.  I have noticed that while female gamers are still few, it's growing.  I am so glad too!  It's nice to know we aren't alone!

6. 53
    PennyJay84posted 3 years ago

Thanks for the posts everyone!
    Its good to know there are a lot of girl gamers out there, I wonder why we don't talk about it, probably dooesn't seem 'cool' to other people. I tried Myst back in high schoool, wasn't too much of a fan, am more Police Quest, Kings Quest, Gabriel Knight, Broken Sword, but any game looks good! Good to know that there are other forums out there, i will have to take a look smile

7. KellyG05030 profile image88
    KellyG05030posted 3 years ago

My teenage daughter is also a gamer - she loves it!  She loves the God of War series and is anxiously, if not a bit impatiently, awaiting the newest game in that series.  She likes to play Call of Duty on occasion, and she's super excited for the next Bioshock game coming out in March!

8. ritsukakunx profile image67
    ritsukakunxposted 3 years ago

play games, have for as long as I remember, but yeah, not "out there" with it. Not going to discuss games with anyone unless I specifically know they enjoy them! :p I guess this is why men don't realize female gamers exist...

I use to be on livejournal. Username "Hitori" - but I don't go there anymore. If you want to see my old interests (still interests...! :p) you can look there!

1. ritsukakunx profile image67
      ritsukakunxposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I also own shatterheart.net - if that isn't proof of being a gamer, dunno what is~! I have that website for fun, not for money, but the ads go to pay the web hosting bill! :p

9. Amadaun profile image85
    Amadaunposted 3 years ago

I'm a girl gamer through and through.  I'm a big fan of RPGs, puzzle games, and Survival Horror, and I co-founded a Skyrim modding site (darkcreations.org) with another girl gamer.

Gotta love the old 8-bit adventure games!  I love King's Quest and Broken Sword - And I'll always adore MYST.