jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Video Game Violence: Has it Gone To Far?

1. lesliebyars profile image75
    lesliebyarsposted 3 years ago via iphone

With games like the Grand Theft Auto series I have to at least ponder the question myself.

2. Winterfate profile image99
    Winterfateposted 3 years ago

I don't particularly like GTA precisely because I feel it's romanticizes raw and unadulterated violence and other nefarious crimes. With that said, I don't really think video game violence is spiraling out of control. I feel the real issue at hand is the fact that too many mentally unstable individuals play said games and can't separate their in-game persona from their identity as a breathing human. Also, certain cases of terrible parenting. But that's besides the point.

Short Answer: Video game violence hasn't gone too far, although I personally dislike the way it is depicted in certain games myself.

3. A Troubled Man profile image60
    A Troubled Manposted 3 years ago

There are movies that are far more violent than most video games. Have they gone too far?

4. Zelkiiro profile image84
    Zelkiiroposted 3 years ago

No. Countries like Sweden, Denmark, Finland, and The Netherlands get the same games we do (unaltered, mind you), and violent crime is nearly nonexistent in those places.

And then there's Japan, who not only gets the same games we do, but they also make their own ultra-violent games that never get released internationally. And guess what? Violent crime is almost a myth there, too.