jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

X-Box One will ban users for cussing!

1. Stevennix2001 profile image83
    Stevennix2001posted 2 years ago

According to youngturks news, microsoft will ban users for excessive cussing, but they'll still allow m-rated games that feature cussing on their gaming console...hm..a tad hypocritical, but whatever.  Here's the link to the video if you want to know more:

Assuming you watched said video, what are your thoughts?  should microsoft ban you for cussing?  Or do you think this might be going overboard?  Please discuss.

1. 0
      Beth37posted 2 years ago in reply to this

My son plays like... Call of Duty, but he plays with the sound down. Doesn't it still have subtitles? I think it's a good idea to remove the profanity, there are younger ears listening, but you're right... it does seem hypocritical to provide them with that constant soundtrack, then punish them for using the same language. I wish they'd just remove the profanity completely. It would broaden their consumer range, I would imagine.

1. Stevennix2001 profile image83
        Stevennix2001posted 2 years ago in reply to this

Yeah, but the only problem with that is it's all about making money when it comes to these gaming companies, and most businesses in general. I can still remember back when i was in high school, and how wal mart made a huge deal that they were never going to sell "Grand Theft Auto III" because they thought the entire game where you can beat up people, have sex with hookers, and curse shouldn't have a place on gaming consoles. 

Boy did their minds change when "Grand Theft Auto III" became the highest grossing video game of all time back then, and it only took like less than a month later when you started to see wal mart start selling the same said game they once said they would never endorse for moral reasons.  I think this is more of a pr stunt to make themselves look better, but i doubt they honestly care about whether it's right or wrong to cuss while playing a game.

Plus, like the video said, they're not really being that specific about what constitutes as foul language, so it could lead to a lot of trouble down the road unless microsoft is willing to state specifically what constitutes as unacceptable to say, and what's okay to say.

2. atechwiz profile image83
      atechwizposted 2 years ago in reply to this

To be fair, it appears that this is with regard to Upload Studio.  It is not like they would ban you for using profanity while playing a game.   Only if you upload a video with excessive swearing.  I am an Xbox gamer and frankly, the amount of profanity being used is excessive most of the time.  If someone is frustrated, that is one thing.  But it seems like most of the people doing it are 10 year olds who feel like they just learned some new words and need to insert them into their vocabulary to seem cool.

2. Zelkiiro profile image84
    Zelkiiroposted 2 years ago

I always seem to come back to Penn & Teller to put stupid crap like this in its place. Profanity is an idiotic concept, and why select words are still taboo is absolutely mystifying to me.

3. Alphadogg16 profile image87
    Alphadogg16posted 2 years ago

I have to agree with atechwiz, I often play with my son online and mire often than not it's the young kids who are doing this trying to be cool.