jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (11 posts)

the WORST of it

1. gmwilliams profile image83
    gmwilliamsposted 2 years ago

http://usercontent1.hubimg.com/12437226.jpg
    Name at least 6 worst things about being the OLDEST CHILD in the family.

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image88
      Kathryn L Hillposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I liked being the oldest. I was like Lucy of the Charlie Brown gang. I knew everything and told my three younger brothers so.  Till they got to be bigger and stronger than me and went off to ride dirt bikes… leaving me in the dust. Maybe I am still trying to find my lost status.
      ...a futile search. I must stop.

2. Credence2 profile image87
      Credence2posted 2 years ago in reply to this

I was the oldest

1. You are always told that "you should know better, because you the oldest"

2. Always expected to "take charge" of siblings, without having either carrot or stick.

3. The  parents are the most strict with you growing up as they err toward the conservative approach as you are the first.

4. It was pressure to have to always be the example for others to follow, not easy  to kick up ones heels under the circumstances.

All I could think of is 4 right now....

2. profile image61
    crissy perkinsposted 2 years ago

I was an only child. I always wanted siblings growing up.I have an older stepstister we are pretty close.She was very protective of me growing up.

gmwilliamsposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Oh no Crissy,  BE GLAD you're THE ONLY CHILD, honey.  You have the UTMOST FREEDOM, you AREN'T overburdened and have very little or no childhood and adolescence like the oldest child, you aren't ignored and overlooked like the middle child, and you aren't definitely like the youngest.  Only children HAVE IT MADE.  They have the most beautiful childhood and adolescence imaginable.  I should know, I'm an only child AND GOSHDARN proud of it!  WE ONLY CHILDREN ARE UNIQUE IN WAYS OTHER BIRTH ORDERS AREN'T....
      http://usercontent1.hubimg.com/11905172.jpg

Well, good and blessed night to all who have participated in this discussion.

3. wilderness profile image96
    wildernessposted 2 years ago

1. As the first, parents care more.  Later on they realize that kids don't need all they are given, whether attention or toys.  The loss of freedom for the first is significant.

2.  They get to build a sense of responsibility, taking care of siblings. 

3.  They don't get hand-me-downs, having to break in new things themselves.

4.  Their teachers don't compare them to older siblings, expecting what isn't there.

5.  They have to set the goal posts for younger siblings.

6.  They also have to set an example of how children should behave - they can't be hellions in their own right.

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image88
      Kathryn L Hillposted 2 years ago in reply to this

...oops on # 6. I rebelled, regardless. 
      well, someone had to do it. hmm

1. wilderness profile image96
        wildernessposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Whereas I was always the perfect child. 

(Can I interest you in some ocean front property in Arizona?)

Ha...

2. gmwilliams profile image83

Such a STRICT life, no leeway whatever.  Oldest children have to WALK that straight road.
        I DON'T wish being the oldest child on anyone, boy oh boy oh boy.........Continue with the discussion please.  I sympathize the most with oldest children.  They endure things that would BREAK a strong adult.
        http://usercontent2.hubimg.com/12440573.jpg
        http://usercontent2.hubimg.com/12440005.jpg

4. gmwilliams profile image83
    gmwilliamsposted 18 months ago

SLAVE to parents and younger siblings.
    No individual nor private time.
    Very short childhood, if any.

working