jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (12 posts)

Do You Enjoy Rock Hunting?

1. figment profile image72
    figmentposted 6 years ago

I've been hunting agates for almost ten years.  It is not only a hobby of mine, it is also a time of relaxation, and a time I spend speaking to my higher power.  Please check out my Hubpage.  What do you do to relax?

1. vicki goodwin profile image81
      vicki goodwinposted 6 years ago in reply to this

My grandfather was a rock hound. We always loved going with him. It was the relaxation of the hunt and the thrill of finding something beautiful.

2. johnsams profile image63
      johnsamsposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Rock collecting is awesome! I've managed to collect a few, mainly minerals and fossils—quartz, amethyst, petrified wood and crinoid stems

3. RNMSN profile image89
      RNMSNposted 6 years ago in reply to this

cannot really call it collecting...if a rock hoollers at me "Pick me up" I pick it up...hubby may have sold everything we have owned fifty times over in the course of 19 moves but he has personally moved every one of my rocks big and small that I have had since I was a teenager! hes a good guy

2. IzzyM profile image84
    IzzyMposted 6 years ago

How fascinating!
    I've always been interested in semi-precious stones. Unfortunately I'm not good at recognising them.

3. pddm67 profile image79
    pddm67posted 6 years ago

Sounds like a very interesting hobby. I've seen something about it on tv and looked pretty cool. I love rocks, crystals and gemstones.

To relax? Probably hanging out at HP when I get the chance smile

4. 0
    Brenda Durhamposted 6 years ago

I like to hunt for geodes (I think that's the right spelling)....

When we were kids, my brothers and I would find big rocks like that and break them open to see the sparkly "diamonds" inside....It was like finding hidden treasure.  haha

5. DevLin profile image61
    DevLinposted 6 years ago

I carried one for 4 years. He wasn't hard to hunt down, he was lying on the street. I saved him from getting ran over. Herbie Stone.

6. Pcunix profile image90
    Pcunixposted 6 years ago

Someday I would like to know mote about it, but yeah, I pick up interesting little stones and pebbles.

7. donotfear profile image91
    donotfearposted 6 years ago

What a pleasant post.  But yes, I enjoy rock hunting.  I used to go quite frequently, though I was looking for rocks of a different kind: arrowheads.

8. rob24hrs profile image60
    rob24hrsposted 6 years ago

Rocks no fossils yes. The fascination of holding something from millions of years ago in my hands. I usually go to Runswick Bay here in UK

9. April Renee profile image58
    April Reneeposted 6 years ago

I enjoy going out with my metal detector to relax... even if you never find anything, it's just a great way to unwind.  The kids love hunting rocks while I'm out and, of course, since we live in Arkansas, a trip to the Crater of Diamonds is always a win-win.  Even cooler is that the rangers and ranger assistants will identify your rocks!  It is a great way to spend time with the family and doesn't break the bank!