jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (13 posts)

Long time no see! I am in need of a coin collector!

1. profile image0
    blatvaposted 6 years ago

Hey you guys  smile  Sorry I haven't been around much.

BUT I have a little task at hand. I am trying to find someone who knows a lot about coins. I'm hoping to identify/appraise a few before I take them to a shop and try and sell them.

The coins belong to a friend of mine, and while I do know a little bit about old coins, I was hoping to get other opinions.

I'm afraid I don't have the money to get them appraised professionally. BUT I know that Hubpages has a lot of knowledgeable people.

I'm asking you, Please. If you can help me, please post or e-mail me. My friend could really use the money.

Thanks everyone  big_smile 

PS:  It's good to be back  (again)

1. Pcunix profile image87
      Pcunixposted 6 years ago in reply to this

If it is US coinage I can help.  I collected coins for years and worked for a large dealer for 2 years.

DO NOT clean or rub anything.  That can destroy value.  I had that happen once, a women cleaned up what would have been worth many thousands and ended up with very little.

1. profile image0
        blatvaposted 6 years ago in reply to this

The majority is actually old english coins  sad 

The only US coin in the lot is a lead penny, But it's marred pretty badly. Doubt it would be worth anything.

Ohh~   and I know not to clean them or anything  smile  My mom made that mistake once.

1. Marisa Wright profile image93
          Marisa Wrightposted 6 years ago in reply to this

http://www.coins-of-the-uk.co.uk/values/index.html

It would be worth buying the Coin Yearbook for the most current values.

http://www.tokenpublishing.com/

1. profile image0

thank you Marisa  smile  I just found out some great news about one of the coins.

2. Marisa Wright profile image93
    Marisa Wrightposted 6 years ago

Where are you based and how old are the coins?  There are coin books issued annually which cover the coinage of a country and approximate value based on condition and age.

1. profile image0

I'm in Indiana, USA. 

And I think the oldest coin I've found is from 1882.  They range from around late 1800's-1960's. 

I know that the ones after about... 1940 won't be worth much at all, but there are a few that are in really good condition and are pretty old.

Oh!   and all the coins are different. There are francs, Half pennys, Denars, etc.

3. Cagsil profile image60
    Cagsilposted 6 years ago

Hey Blatva, WOW! Great to see you. smile

Sorry, I've dabbled in them myself, only for a little bit. Do not know enough to lend advice. hmm

But, it was a pleasure to see you again. wink big_smile

1. profile image0

Cag!  It's awesome to see you again too!  ^____^  I haven't seen you around in quite a while.

I'm sort of the same way. I grew up with my mom collecting, But I'm no expert.

1. Cagsil profile image60
        Cagsilposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Well, I guess that would stand to reason, since I have been here and YOU have not. lol lol lol tongue

4. Misha profile image74
    Mishaposted 6 years ago

Hi Blatva! Welcome back smile

Sorry, no help on this from me sad

1. profile image0

Hi Misha   big_smile

It's alright  ^_^  This is quite a long shot, I guess.

5. coinguide profile image59
    coinguideposted 6 years ago

hi blatva,

you can fins some information on this site, http://www.2-clicks-coins.com, you can even place your coin ads there. good luck in selling your coins..

working