jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (5 posts)

New fake WOW emails

1. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 6 years ago

I was rather amused to get a new type of world of warcraft phishing scam this morning (instead of the usual, your account has been banned, click here to unban it one.)

This one informs me that if I want to apply for a chance at playing the new Cataclysm beta, I should "click here" and login.

The website that we're meant to visit uses a 1 instead of an l in the word b1izzard so it's easy to miss.

1. ChelyRenee profile image60
      ChelyReneeposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Mine are better! I get the links that spell battle in the link (only seen when you hover your mouse over the link) b0tt1e. They also try to put legit Return-Peth emails. They think they're sneaky, but I have already shared my knowledge of how to check these naughty emails with other players on the WoW forums. ;o)

2. Garrett Mickley profile image80
      Garrett Mickleyposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I heard they're also doing one's saying you got selected for the Beta and to click here to get the key.

Fun Fact: I'm in Beta, and when you get the REAL email from Blizzard, they don't give you the key.  There's no Beta key, at all.  They automatically add it to your account and then just shoot you an email that says "Log in to your account and it'll be there!"

Then you just log in and it's there!

2. Elzabrad profile image60
    Elzabradposted 5 years ago

I got one too, my world of warcraft account actually had been hacked (I'm not too sure how, but it happened) and when I contacted blizzard and managed to get it back I received a suspicious email telling me that I would be compensated for being hacked if I logged into there website. Apparently I would get some super rare mount, a pet and 50k gold, I almost fell for it but luckily my older brother told me not to do it.

It turned out it was a fake in the end, checking the email which it came from it wasn't a blizzard official or battle.net email.

1. TwoDee profile image78
      TwoDeeposted 5 years ago in reply to this

How did you almost fall for that? I mean seriously... that was obviously fake and the attacker just wanted to steal your account again.