red ring of death

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (13 posts)
  1. ddsurfsca profile image72
    ddsurfscaposted 13 years ago

We have had this xbox360 a couple of years, and when we had the warranty, because it took a while to fix them, they sent out a different refurbished system.  Well, this rather messes up a warranty, and now we have a box that does not work.  Does anybody know if there is a length of time in a situation like this, for we cannot get through right now  and/or is there anyway to actually fix these systems, in the time we have had it we must have sent it in at least 4 or 5 times in the couple years we have owned it.

1. evvy_09 profile image59
      evvy_09posted 13 years agoin reply to this

if you want to fix it yourself their are several tuturials on youtube.  Be warned once you open the box up it voids the warranty. My husband tried to fix ours, it was the disk drive, but didn't work because we couldn't find a new drive to fit it.  We finally just bought a new one today.  I know I'm not being helpful but I know your pain, :-)

2. warchild75 profile image62
      warchild75posted 13 years agoin reply to this

For my experience,the warranty was voided on mine because they only give u 3 months warranty with the repaired or recon xbox's,mine broke after a year and they said they could fix it but it would cost me £90,for £85 i went out and brought a recon one from gamestation,bloody rip offs,you can make it last longer by wrapping it in a towel and while on and leaving it for a few hours but be warned this is a fire risk!!lol It seems to me that it is a perfect opertunity to upgrade to the 250gb slim xbox!!!smile

2. Rafini profile image81
    Rafiniposted 13 years ago

as far as I know the red ring of death means exactly that.  the end of the system. hmm  my son had one with this 'red ring of death' and looked it up online.  he can't deal with being without his system long enough to send it in, so he threw it away and bought a new one. hmm

3. livewithrichard profile image73
    livewithrichardposted 13 years ago

Don't even attempt to fix it yourself unless you are good with electronics.  We had the same problem too and it happens because of the type of solder that was used. 

We found a guy on Ebay that provides a service of fixing the problem. I think it cost us $30 plus shipping but it was worth it since our warranty had expired. 

Just go to Ebay and do a search for "Xbox 360 repair service" or Ebay user Wade3030 and he will do a complete flux reflow to repair the system.  Don't go with the cheaper guys that only do X-Clamp replacements.  I'm pretty sure Wade3030 warranties his work for a year.

4. Dornz87 profile image58
    Dornz87posted 13 years ago

Had the same thing happen with my 360.
    I figured SCREW microsoft and decided they would not get another dime out of me (for xbox products anyway) and went out and bought a PS3 instead.

...the red ring of death gave me a good excuse to upgrade to PS3 and I really couldn't be happier.  To quote Ferris Bueller: "If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up.."

big_smile

1. Zakmoonbeam profile image94
      Zakmoonbeamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Love my Xbox, love my PS3.  After my 360 died I also bought a PS3 but unfortunately it seems that the earlier Playstation 3 consoles (like my one) also have a similar problem to the RROD.

Called the YLOD, the yellow light of death just flashes when you try to start it up.  Happened to mine outside of warranty, so Googled and repaired it myself for free.  Again, its caused by components overheating and soldered joints becoming dry, so it was a case of stripping it down and heating certain areas with a hot air gun. 

Been working 50+ hours after repair, so fingers crossed.

5. warchild75 profile image62
    warchild75posted 13 years ago

Hey when it stops working it means it is time to upgrade to the 250gb xbox slim elite  smile

6. DeAd Dolls Inc profile image60
    DeAd Dolls Incposted 13 years ago

The Red Ring Of Death is something you can fix yourself I have countless hubs on the matter...

Basically the thermal paste on top of the CPU and GPU is completely gone and needs to be resurfaced with thermal paste that is new. Easy to do, once its on let dry. But there's other little tricks you have to nothing to serious.

Check out my hubs for more information.

-DD

7. profile image52
    davidtarasposted 13 years ago

You can fix the Red Rings of Death. There are plenty of step by step guides with videos available....I wouldn't trust YouTube videos for it. I have bought some products (I wanted to see which was best) and had no problems repairing mine and friends. Most of them come with money back guarantees anyway.

8. Midnight Oil profile image82
    Midnight Oilposted 13 years ago

Ouch - A red ring of death sound very painful, and we need to get to the bottom of this problem.. wink

1. blogivator profile image61
      blogivatorposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You beat me to it chap, just spotted this one, sounds like the morning after a hot curry! :-)

9. profile image54
    Justthinkingofposted 13 years ago

The fixes are temporary and it will happen again in a few months if it lasts that long. People have used the warranty and still had to go through 3 - 6 systems having the same problem. They can't fix the problem themselves so there is no fix for the old models. Just hope for the new slims to be the cure.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)