jump to last post 1-20 of 20 discussions (23 posts)

Does playing board games make you smarter?

1. Rose Mari profile image81
    Rose Mariposted 6 years ago

Does playing board games make you smarter?

1. dutchman1951 profile image60
      dutchman1951posted 6 years ago in reply to this

makes you think exercise the mind, sooo... probably it does to some affect.

2. RunescapePro profile image61
      RunescapeProposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Definitely! I learned more about geography from playing Risk than I did from any class at school! tongue

2. Cagsil profile image84
    Cagsilposted 6 years ago

I would say that board games help with certain learning skills, depending on the game.

3. Ohma profile image81
    Ohmaposted 6 years ago

I do not know about smarter but I have seen studies that suggest that board games can at least to some degree help keep your mind active and help to decrease the effects of senility and Alzheimer.

4. Lifeallstar1 profile image61
    Lifeallstar1posted 6 years ago

Board games are definitely a good exercise for the brain in many ways..one example is with memory. Use it or lose it, as the saying goes. They are a lot of fun too!

5. Jezzzz profile image79
    Jezzzzposted 5 years ago

I think that some board games most certainly make you smarter.  They exercise the brain and make you think.  Board games like monopoly and such also help you in managing money.

6. Kangaroo_Jase profile image81
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 5 years ago

They teach alot of good aspects that help in life.

A sense of healthy competition
    Problem solving
    Memory retention and recall
    Team work
    Time management
    Devising ways to work out that there is more than one solution to a problem

and I have most likely missed a few other life skills.

1. Stigma31 profile image72
      Stigma31posted 5 years ago

Definitely boardgames make you smarter. I have learned more history and world geography playing boardgames than I ever did in school. Games like life and monopoly teach you money management and basic adding and subtracting. Being able to outwit your opponents in games like diplomacy and chess, teach you preplanning, and tactics. Scrabble, and boggle teaches spelling. Even Hungry, Hungry Hippo improves hand eye co-ordination.

2. Julie2 profile image80
      Julie2posted 5 years ago

I think it does make you smarter. I haven't played them in such a long time and its hard for me to remember stuff. Maybe its my age and not the game! :LOL: Oh well... What was the question again?

3. webtoys profile image60
      webtoysposted 5 years ago

it does make you smarter. It trains the left brain (analytic skill, mathematics skill) and ability to control your emotional especially when you got many loses on games.

4. 0
      DoorMattnomoreposted 5 years ago

playing board games, I don't know if they make you smarter, but if I win, they make hubby madder!!  lol

5. nell79 profile image85
      nell79posted 5 years ago

It all depends on the game and who's winning. If I'm winning, then obviously the game is an awesome learning tool that makes you smart. If I'm losing then it's stupid game with no educational value whatsoever! lol lol lol

Okay, I'll be serious now. I think a lot of them can have some great educational value.

6. Time4Travel profile image81
      Time4Travelposted 5 years ago

A lot of board games out there will give you a mental workout. Monopoly is great for math, TriBond for comparing things, etc. I agree with what others have said... use it or lose it.

7. sdy53 profile image59
      sdy53posted 5 years ago

So many different levels of intelligence that it is hard to say, but I have heard that there have been no documented instances of chess players being diagnosed with Alzheimers.

8. 0
      Aleister888posted 5 years ago

I have never played one in my entire life... BUT, i told my gf that after reading this thread, and were hitting some up on the weekend ^_^

9. CharlesWells profile image60
      CharlesWellsposted 5 years ago

Absolutely, of course it depends on the game.  It exercises the mind and negotiation skills.  Plus the abilities to interact with other people.

10. Stacie L profile image89
      Stacie Lposted 5 years ago

most people I play board games with only become more obnoxious..big_smile

11. The Quiz Master profile image69
      The Quiz Masterposted 5 years ago

Anything that makes you think will make you a little bit smarter.
      I recently wrote a hub on this subject.

12. Pikachusif profile image80
      Pikachusifposted 5 years ago

Well, the first thing that comes to mind is Scrabble. Personally, I can't get enough of it, and it can really enhance your vocabulary. If you change a boring old bus into a hulking cumulonimbus, somebody's vocabulary is going to be enhanced. (Well, if the person you're playing with doesn't know what a cumulonimbus cloud is.) Anyway, with most board games, yes.

13. Thatguypk profile image78
      Thatguypkposted 5 years ago

Someone suggested that playing Monopoly might make you smarter at managing money matters.... so, If I play alot of Cluedo, will it make me a better Murderer?

1. Gramalho profile image78
        Gramalhoposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I love to play monopoly, but not cluedo. i think that the best thing of board games is that you need at least 2 persons!! today is all about pc games and "play at home alone".
        Board games will make you "socially smarter"!

14. dheluxe profile image60
      dheluxeposted 5 years ago

Good exercise for the brain make you think faster with strategies. But don't play too much cause your goin' crazy. Sometimes you need to go outside and play outdoor games.