jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (13 posts)

Have you ever found anything while metal detecting? If so what was it?

1. Rareobject profile image60
    Rareobjectposted 5 years ago

I am collecting information on what items, people have discovered while metal detecting and also where they found it. Please list all your items as other people may have found the same items close to where you found yours. I am sure you or someone you know has a story we all would love to hear. Thanks

1. Rochelle Frank profile image90
      Rochelle Frankposted 5 years ago

I  have a very weak old detector which is good or finding lost nails and screws..

But I know people who have found coins on beaches and some nice gold nuggets in the Sierras.
      You have to know where to look and have a high end apparatus to find good stuff.
      A neighbor of ours found some old forks and knives buried about a foot and a half deep.. some old pottery along with it.

1. Nekomeme profile image60
        Nekomemeposted 5 years ago

I used to be obsessed about finding hidden treasure with my kiddie metal detector, but all I ever found was a washer.  hmm

2. 0
        Aleister888posted 5 years ago

I Have always wanted to go metal detecting but just never quite got around to it, would be very cool indeed to see what people have found smile

3. jokeapptv profile image59
        jokeapptvposted 5 years ago

i haD one in the 80s  they are cool. never found much but trash but it was fun looking. Had A "Whites" detector. It was really nice. I know radio shack and toys are us used to carry some simple ones.

4. Randy Godwin profile image94
        Randy Godwinposted 5 years ago

Yep, a gold and jade ring and an 1896 Indian Head penny!

5. LondonGirl profile image92
        LondonGirlposted 5 years ago

My sister and I found about 10 medieval silver pennies in the late 1980s.

We did a metal detector and dig thing a couple of years ago, and ended up with about 50 silver coins, farthings, half-pennies, groats and a couple of shillings, from the 13th to 17th centuries.

6. waynet profile image47
        waynetposted 5 years ago

I found a 20 pound note once whilst metal detecting...obviously I had to find other stuff first to dig that out the ground as it wouldn't have detected it, was faded on one half, but it still was accepted at the shops as the metal strip was intact and the banking numbers were clear!

Also found some very rare coins that I have invested and stored away for when I need to cash them in....Also found an old 10 pence piece, I miss them ones!

7. Hotplate profile image61
        Hotplateposted 5 years ago

When I was a kid, I lived on the beach.  So one day when I was like 6 I got a metal detector, and I ran right out to the beach and put it to work.  Within the first ten minutes I found something and started digging like mad.  Of all of the things I could find, i found an old vibrator.  Having no idea what it was, I ran into the house to show my Mom.  Needless to say, the metal detector was put away after that.

8. jackavc profile image81
        jackavcposted 5 years ago

i have found a gold sovereign while detecting in a park in Australia.  But the main thing i find is just plain old gold nuggets, which at the current gold price i dont mind finding at all.  The best nugget i have found weighed about three ounces which made it worth about USD$4000 at the current gold price

9. IzzyM profile image87
        IzzyMposted 5 years ago

This is amazing|! I've always wanted a metal detector, especially a gold one, but I'm not sure I am capable of digging up the rock hard ground round about here...still, never know, one day...

1. Druid Dude profile image59
          Druid Dudeposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Found a really cool water main.

1. IzzyM profile image87
            IzzyMposted 5 years ago in reply to this

big_smile big_smile big_smile

That would be my luck with a pick! Then I'd get the repair bill, and the water bill for lost water sad

Closed to reply