jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (12 posts)

What happened to all the Arcades?

1. 60
    Justthinkingofposted 5 years ago

I remember arcades as the place to hag out with friends. Now, I can't find any in Toronto and wonder why? I've talked to a lot of people recently about video games and everyone misses the arcade experience. I would prefer an arcade over the bar, club or coffee shop. It's maybe the kid in me but a lot of us in our late 20's to 30's are still thinking about it. sad

1. Abbasangel profile image81
      Abbasangelposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I think there is still one at Know City (Australia) Which is actually the name of a shopping complex... Well it might be what the suburb is called... some are combing with go-karts and bowling alleys...

And yep I would somedays prefer an arcade over the others... its just as noisy as most!! smile

1. Abbasangel profile image81
        Abbasangelposted 5 years ago in reply to this

2. warchild75 profile image50
      warchild75posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Theres still loads in the uk!!smile

3. Miss Paula profile image60
      Miss Paulaposted 5 years ago in reply to this

There called  video games in the bedrooms!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. hoodieweather profile image62
    hoodieweatherposted 5 years ago

The arcade scene here is practically dead. One of the most famous arcades in Los Angeles is shutting down today. sad

3. 0
    Aleister888posted 5 years ago

Im in aus, and they are beyond dead here, now im only 22, but people just 6 years younger than me dont even know what they were, let alone where they are.

It seems to me arcades have for the most part been replaced by LAN cafes which are like .. honestly are nearly on every corner in the city of sydney, totally awesome mind you ^_-

4. Christian H. profile image80
    Christian H.posted 5 years ago

I just moved from Provo, Utah and I haven't really seen much arcade action in my new city.  However, back in Provo, they had this awesome place where you could go and play arcade games for a nickle.  You had to pay a couple bucks to get in, but it was still awesome.  I loved that place!

5. Matt in Jax profile image81
    Matt in Jaxposted 5 years ago

There aren't any here in Jacksonville beyond small ones inside of malls, but I have seen one or two full-size arcades down south near St. Pete Beach in Florida.

6. celebritie profile image75
    celebritieposted 5 years ago

There are a few near me but pretty much not of much interest to the young people because they have hand held games now.

7. NickB profile image61
    NickBposted 5 years ago

Yeh the arcade age is dead even though old arcade games are great!

These days we all have computer or consoles that play games thousands of times more advanced than old arcade games. It is a shame really, we become more and more shut off from society the further technology develops.

When I was a kid arcades allowed me and my friends to socialize. I met my first girlfriend at an arcade and several of my closest friends.

Arcades are dead, it's sad sad

8. Jonathan Janco profile image82
    Jonathan Jancoposted 5 years ago

There were three near me when I was a kid. They are all gone, even Arnie's which I think was one of the biggest ones ever at least in my area. And yeah I miss it! I even have SpaceAce and Dragon's Lair on the PS2.
    The only one around me that I even know about I think is in Purchase, NY, and it's basically an adult playground. Video games, pool tables, skeet, and they have a liquor license  . . .
    dangerous? yes, perhaps.