Steampunk Gun Modding 301
The third in my series of steampunk prop making lessons
So by now I hope that you have read the first two in this series, Steampunk Gun Modding 101 & 201 so you have an understanding of my technique.
In this article I am going to talk about "Big Baby", my aetheric discombobulator. She began as a weapon for my husband because all the props I had made so far were too dainty for him. I wanted something larger that he could carry. By the time I finished her however, I had fallen in love with her. I still owe him a prop.
I am torn as to whether "Big Baby" can be called scratchbuilt or kitbashed. While the main body is technically a squirt gun, she has so many component parts that she almost qualifies as a scratchbuild. Either way, she is definitely another example of serendipity at work. It took a very long time to complete her because I didn't have all the right parts at the start.
I found the body, a "stink blaster" at a thrift store. The picture is of one new in the package. Mine was missing parts, but it has such potential. With all it's rivets and dents, it already looks very steampunk.
Here's what mine looked like when I got it home. I did the usual sanding off logos and cleaning it thoroughly to prep it for painting.
I gave it a primer coat of Krylon Fusion black, the kind that doesn't require sanding to stick.
Next I used a very uneven coat of Krylon Fusion copper to give it a metallic but very worn look.
For the power pack, I found a broken projector. I did the prerequisite cleaning, and then gave it a base primer coat as well.
I used the Krylon Fusion copper and then went over the edges with black acrylic to enhance the edges. I also used some copper acrylic paint to make it look even rustier in spots.
The project sat for months while I debated how to make her look more interesting. Then one day I happened upon a very broken Astro Orbiter, a scale model toy from Disneyland. It was missing a lot of parts, so I took it apart to figure out something to do with it. I noticed one day that the base exactly fit the back end of the stink blaster. So I decided to turn it around and used it as the barrel of Big Baby.
I painted the barrel in the same manner as the rest of the weapon. I used some copper and silver to accent certain spots and then glued in on to the base.
Now I had a really hard section to tackle. How was I going to affix the power pack onto the weapon? I got a lot of weird looks while wandering around the hardware store with my odd looking plastic bits. I did eventually find a vacuum seal for a toilet that fit into one end, some hosing and another plumbing piece that fit into the other. I prepped painted and glued them and voila! Big Baby. One of the best things about my solution is that I can disassemble her into three parts for travel. She's a bit unwieldy to carry around, but she is definitely eye catching.
My recommendations for equipment
Below I have added some links to the tools and paint I like to use.
I hope that you have gotten something out of this little lesson. Please let me know what you think.
More by this Author
Steampunk or Victorian science fiction is very popular these days. For brevity sake, I'm going to assume if you are exploring this lens that you already know what steampunk is. If not, a bit more complete essay can be...
You may have heard of steampunk recently or you may just want to know a bit more. It can be intimidating trying to find information, but it really shouldn't be. There are an awful lot of conflicting bits of information...
Steampunk also known as Victorian science fiction has exploded in popularity recently. Here, you'll learn about Steampunk costuming basics, from goggles to gloves to shirts.