10 New Reasons to Ride Your Bicycle
I remember my first bicycle as child - bright blue with a black seat, playing cards in the spokes, tassels off the handle bars. It was awesome, and riding it was always a blast! What changed? It seems as if there’s a direct correlation between the aging individual and the amount of cobwebs on his or her bicycle. Let’s change this. Yes cycling is good for your health and the environment, but it’s good for so much more. I’d like to share 10 new reasons that bicycles are still awesome, and why they’re still a blast to ride. Pump up your tires, strap on your helmet, and read on.
Reasons to Ride and Not Drive
1. Connection - Life moves fast, especially in a car. Given this, it’s easy to forget that life is about connecting with people, and not checking items off our to-do list. Riding a bike offers you the space to see more faces, make more eye contact, and share more smiles. All of these things make for a more special day.
2. Appreciation - In the same way life moves fast in a car, it also often looks the same in a car. Driving the same route to work, stopping at the same lights, reading the same signs of passing businesses. Without variety, it’s easy to take things for granted. Riding a bike will bring variety and a new appreciation for the place you live, no matter where it is.
3. Discovery - Riding a bike allows you to discover a new route and explore your town and it’s natural landscape in a new light. You may discover a new business, park, historical monument, or natural feature you would have otherwise not seen from a car. There is lots to discover once you leave the drivers seat and get on a bicycle seat.
4. Health - Any amount of riding a bike is good for your health - whether for fun on the weekends, or as a new mode of transportation to work. It is a low-impact way to increase your heart rate, build muscle, increase cardio, and break a sweat. All of which will lend to a longer, happier life.
5. One less - For every bike on the road, there is one less car. Fun fact? The organization, Bikes Belong, tells us “if 5% of New Yorkers commuting by private car or taxi switched to biking to work, they could save 150 million pounds of CO2 emissions per year, equivalent to the amount reduced by planting a forest 1.3 times the size of Manhattan.”
6. Relaxation - Traffic is stressful. Especially for city dwellers, biking might be a smarter, more relaxing alternative. There's never traffic in the bike lane. Arrive to your destination with less veins bulging out of your neck and instead, wind swept hair and a nice post-workout buzz.
7. Time - While it might seem contradictory, riding a bike is often the quicker way to go. Between traffic, stoplights, and parking, driving a car in densely populated areas is a time-wasted mess. On a bike, you have the luxury of enjoying your own lane, and it is never crowded. When it comes to running several errands, you never hassle with finding a parking space.
8. Simplicity - Simple is the new cool, and absolutely the only way to pure peace of mind. If you agree, then get on your bike! Ditch the steel box, engine, exhaust, tires, radio, dials, blinkers, mirrors, blips, bleeps and more! Introduce more simplicity into your life and learn to love handlebars, pedals, and an aluminum frame.
9. Money - Cars are expensive. Not just to buy, but to fuel and maintain. Let’s not forget the inevitable ticket and attached fines that comes with driving a car. Riding a bike is cheaper all around. Embrace frugality in the modern age and you'll be rewarded.
10. Fun - Yes! What have you been waiting for? Remember the blue bike with the black seat? The playing cards in the spokes? The tassles? I do. None of that has changed. Riding a bike is still fun! We just have to remember why. Let’s prove ourselves wrong and release the stereotype of boring adults. Let's rediscover how to have fun by riding a bike.
Ready to Ride, Again
As adults, riding a bike is not just about exercise. With the right equipment and the right attitude, it’s so much more. As we learned, riding a bike instead of driving a car will help forge a stronger connection to the human race. It will help us rediscover the town in which we live, and build a better appreciation for it. Jumping back on the bike is good to the health of our environment and personal health by providing exercise, reducing stress, and increasing fun. It’s a cheap, simple, faster and let’s not forget, fun. What are you waiting for?
Bike Tips and Maintenance
More Bike Resources
Bicycle statistics and resources
More by this Author
A review of 5-Hour Energy drink. Does 5-Hour Energy work? Is it safe? Do the ingredients give users increased energy and "provide mental alertness, focus and improved mood" like they claim?
Starting your day off right is important. The following 10 morning activities will ensure that today is a beautiful day, tomorrow is even better, and you appreciate the birds chirping.
How could you ever be bored in Orange County, California? Use the links with this list of 100 things to do in Orange County, California and you are guaranteed to find something to entertain you.